Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
I don't want to say what we will do or won't do [regarding a larger screen for the iPhone], and so don't interpret anything I say along those lines.

Okay, so let's try and interpret what he doesn't say… :)

One thing he didn't mention was Apple's frequent assertion that the iPhone's screen is the perfect size for "your thumb" -- the ability to hold and use the phone in one hand -- a fact that was mentioned in one of the first television ads for the iPhone 5.

Hmm… One feels they're going to cave to market pressure. The comments before this happens:

Apple never listens to what customers actually want. WE WANT A 5" IPHONE!!!​

And the comments after they release a 5" iPhone will be:

Too little too late Apple.

Now Apple's just copying Samsung. So much for innovation Apple!​

CShort

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
I felt that "Aha!" for the first few months of using a Retina display. Now I'm ruined for everything else. Thanks a lot, Tim.

I'm not sure what you are saying. All other flagships at the moment (except for blackberry?) have "higher than retina" display resolution.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
The truth is, iPhone (or smartphones for that matter) have entered maturity. Further component miniaturization and improvements, as well as new features and refinements can bring more revolutionary experience, but none as disruptive as the original iPhone announcement.

As such, I think next "aha!" moments will be outside Apple's existing product lines, such as watch and television. Successful launch of new category will be first real proving ground for Cooks and his team, not iPhone 6.

Mike Valmike

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2012
Chandler, Arizona
Tim Cook failed. People just want a larger screen. Smaller screen = poor experience, larger screen = good experience.

No, users like you want a larger screen, for what compensatory purpose I neither know nor care. Users like me want a reliable smartphone phone that fits in our pocket without being the size of a slab. The iPhone 4S was just a shade small; the 5 is fine. It's possible a new version could be a shade larger and still be reasonable. But if they release equipment as absurd as the Galaxy Note, I'm out... and so is anyone else with any need for practicality.

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
I'm more interested in iOS 7 over a new phone. Now, if they overhauled the OS and took advantage of the larger screen and come out with some groundbreaking new feature, then maybe I'd give it a go.

Same situation with me. I fell iOS needs to be emphasized more than the new iphone

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
No... no they don't. You just look like a **** with a 5" screen.

Oh and you don't with 4" iPhone 5? Previous iPhone might be small but it seems appropriate. The 5 looks unproportional as it is, but I bet you love it now just because Apple made it happened.

Next iPhone has 5" screen and you'd say it's magical.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Apple will never make a crappy product..... Hmmmmm Apple maps is crap, and every iOS update recently has been buggy in some way like the latest one flattening iPhone 4S batteries. Think he needs to rephrase what he says.

Apple has made some crappy hardware too, but I'm honestly hard-pressed to think of too many examples. The ones that spring to mind are:
  • Original iMac pucklet mouse
  • Charging cables that fall apart
  • Overheating Time Capsule
  • eMac

Okay, that last one was more ugly than crappy.

Edit: Oh, and then there was my 2007 MBP where the GPU was a ticking time bomb that would eventually require a motherboard replacement. That was NVIDIA's fault and they replaced them without charge.

Last edited:

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Could you give a few examples of customisation of your MBP that are particularly dear to you?

Sure. Much of it's built right into the OS too. I use LOTS of widgets, but my favorites are the convert, notes, and system stats (can't remember the name) widget. I have my icons sized very small and lots of them on the dock, but then I zoom way in on them when scrolling over. I love the various gestures to switch between apps, bring up the launch pad, minimize all windows, etc. I love Mousepose and making clicks pop a demonstration circle, changing it's colors, etc. I've recently started looking into designing my own app logos. None of this is earth shattering, but the point is having the options to do that type of stuff is nice, and there are clearly opportunities to allow the iPhone to be customized much more than it currently is, or at least allow 3rd party apps to help with it. I think the ability to customize even some of the simplest stuff like colors, introduce a few gestures (larger screen!), and let the developers have a bit more freedom with the OS would go a LONG way to prevent the phone from getting stale.

Just my .02

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007
You are correct, Tim. Experience is everything.....and I want to experience a larger iPhone or I'm likely to switch when I'm due for another upgrade.

EDIT: Wouldn't mind the ability to customize more as well. I have my Macbook Pro very personalized without sacrificing anything the OS has to offer. You couldn't pry that thing from my hands if you tried. Don't feel that way about my phone.

Every thing that you want to do, you can do with a droid now. You should switch.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
Tim Cook failed. People just want a larger screen. Smaller screen = poor experience, larger screen = good experience.

These conflicting opinions just shows that people want (some) CHOICE. Just like the iPod, iMac, Macbook, iPad comes in different sizes, iPhone should be the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

burtba

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
I completely agree with Tim. User experience. Lets hope they integrate more of that into IOS7.
I just jailbroke my Mini because I am boored with rows and rows of icons. Loved some of these idea's developers have been coming up with. Lots of them 'user experience' - BiteSMS, noti's, multitasking idea's, all very cool.
I ended up putting it back to standard IOS due to many tweaks & widgets conflict with each other, ie lack of 'user experience'.
Apple could integrate some of these great idea's into their rock solid IOS.
None of the jailbreaking changes the core use of the device, I can still email, Internet, read mags & books, listen to music etc etc, I just enjoy the hobby side of it of customizing the device to how I like it. But that does not for me, over ride the rock solid and simplicity of IOS.
It's a fine line and I have high hopes in what Jonny will bring to the table.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
It's not the hardware letting anyone down though lol, Apple is very good at getting a lot out of a little. It's the very stale iOS that's starting to turn people off.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
One thing he didn't mention was Apple's frequent assertion that the iPhone's screen is the perfect size for "your thumb" -- the ability to hold and use the phone in one hand -- a fact that was mentioned in one of the first television ads for the iPhone 5.
It was a great size with previous iPhones of 3.5" screen size.

It's no longer the case for iPhone 5. So you might as well make the screen a lot bigger than the measly 4".

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
They found the perfect size. When you watch a movie in wide screen on the Galaxy S3 it just puts bars on it shrinking it to iPhone 5 size anyway.

What does watching a movie have to do with anything? There are countless benefits from a larger screen. Watching movies would not even be a factor for me.

----------

No, users like you want a larger screen, for what compensatory purpose I neither know nor care. Users like me want a reliable smartphone phone that fits in our pocket without being the size of a slab. The iPhone 4S was just a shade small; the 5 is fine. It's possible a new version could be a shade larger and still be reasonable. But if they release equipment as absurd as the Galaxy Note, I'm out... and so is anyone else with any need for practicality.

Why not both? iPhone 6 and 6+ would be a simple compromise.

iemlegend

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
1) This website is called MacRumors, correct? whew...for a second I thought this was an Android site with some of the posts here.

2) For the trolls who continue to s-it on Apple products do yourselves a favor and jump ship already....instead of being the first in line to buy the next screen-too-small-iphone....JMO

3) That all being said, I agree partially with some of the things said. I PROUDLY own an iPhone 5 AND a Galaxy S3. The first thing half the people here do not understand that iOS# has always JUST WORKED...yea I said it...it is RECENTLY that android has finally gotten its OS to work more stable. I have owned an android based phone since day 1 as well as day 1 of the iphone, so I have plenty to compare it to. The occasional app force close on iOS to the multiple everything force close on android...even rooted...although rooted posed less problems then the base OS...In Google's defense, they have come a long way, as the GS3 is 1000 times better then what Androids were a few years back....APPLE iOS has consistently been good and gotten better

4) I would love to know the insistence of the big screens. If you want 5-6 inch screens, get an iPad Mini or a Nexus 7 and move on. All this talk of needing bigger screens is sad. It's a trend and most people fall right into it. Laptops were the same way. they were once too heavy so they made them light...then they werent fast enough so they got faster but heavier...then thy were too big so they made small screens...then they were too small so they made them bigger...and now they are getting smaller again....phones were once too big...then too small...then too big...now they are to small again....then iphone should max at 4.5-4.75" and call it a day...anything bigger than that, get an Ipad Mini...and bigger would be an Ipad...bigger would be a MBA then MBP.... SO TO SIMPLIFY FOR SOME OF THE MASSES OF BRAIN DEAD FOLLOWERS.....A 5-6 INCH SCREEN DOES NOT IMPROVE EXPERIENCE....A FUNCTIONING PIECE OF HARDWARE WITH AN INTUITIVE SOFTWARE DOES...

5) THE TIm Cook haters....he is not doing anything that Steve Jobs wasn't doing also. Last I checked, and I kept up with Apple and Jobs...Steve NEVER gave out info on any product BEFORE he was ready to announce it. EVEN on the day he was announcing it, he made you wait and toyed with the crowd (watch the announcement of the original iPhone and see for yourself)....Some of the people who post here love to rant and just sound ignorant

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011

I agree with Apple's previous assertions that the size of the current iPhone is perfect for one hand use. I can hold it and type all using one hand. The iPhone 5 is by far the best designed piece of hardware I ever picked up, and blows the previous models away in every regard. That, however, doesn't mean that everybody finds one hand use to be a necessary feature. Some people might be willing to give that up for more screen real estate.

I think Apple should think about three screen sizes. 3.5, 4, and 4.87. These sizes make it easy on Apple's developers, and cover a decent gamut of sizes for everybody. Apple could also experiment and add cellular phone capacities to the iPad Mini. If the iPad Mini had such capabilities it would be easy to use as a phone carried in a backpack, at home, or in a car using bluetooth equipped headphones.

Last edited:

iisdan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2010
wut

Aha. This is the same Os since 2007...get real. More like blah hah... Boring...

Why would they make a whole new OS every year? You used windows for 30 years being relatively the same without complaint.

Windows phone and android will remain relatively the same as well.

I really don't understand why people would want to re learn their phone every few months.

Don't change for the sake of change.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
"One thing he didn't mention was Apple's frequent assertion that the iPhone's screen is the perfect size for "your thumb" -- the ability to hold and use the phone in one hand -- a fact that was mentioned in one of the first television ads for the iPhone 5."

He should have mentioned that changing the width of the iPhone would affect how a user holds it. Changing the length does not.

Unfortunately, the iPhone would look stupid if its aspect ratio went beyond the current 16:9. I see potential in a slightly bigger iPhone as an option, but the current size is really the best for the average person.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It's not the hardware letting anyone down though lol, Apple is very good at getting a lot out of a little. It's the very stale iOS that's starting to turn people off.

Hence why Forstall was fired and Ive is now involved in software. Cook knows they have to step up their game on the software side.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
I use LOTS of widgets, but my favorites are the convert, notes, and system stats (can't remember the name) widget. I have my icons sized very small and lots of them on the dock, but then I zoom way in on them when scrolling over. I love the various gestures to switch between apps, bring up the launch pad, minimize all windows, etc. I love Mousepose and making clicks pop a demonstration circle, changing it's colors, etc. I've recently started looking into designing my own app logos. None of this is earth shattering, but the point is having the options to do that type of stuff is nice, and there are clearly opportunities to allow the iPhone to be customized much more than it currently is, or at least allow 3rd party apps to help with it. I think the ability to customize even some of the simplest stuff like colors, introduce a few gestures (larger screen!), and let the developers have a bit more freedom with the OS would go a LONG way to prevent the phone from getting stale.
  • Widgets: their key appeal on OS X is probably very fast access (one swipe or keypress), we already have one shortcut gesture on the iPhone, the camera on the lock screen. Adding more gestures and allowing us to customise what they are linked to would certainly be nice.
  • Icon size: There probably is a much smaller range of icon sizes that works well on a phone because touch targets should have a minimum size (and too few would fit if they are too large). An argument can be made that it should be made difficult to create small touch targets.
  • Gestures: They are great, I use them a lot on my Mac and on my iPad but four or five finger gestures are naturally much more difficult to carry out on a phone and one finger gestures are usually already used by a lot of apps. There probably is some space for two finger gestures but then their might be already a lot of apps that already use them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.