Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slimbek

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
It's quite bizarre how so many people - on an Apple fan forum - truly believe that an Apple iWatch's only feature would be to tell the time...

Open your mind, people.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
Same here. Who cares about a watch

You could be right, or you could be just like those people who said the same sort of thing about the iPod, iPhone, iPad, etc... History repeats itself often, but we usually only see it in hindsight.

I think Steve Jobs was right about people not knowing what they want.

Why would I be happy with a phone I have to pull out of my pocket and look at? there has got to be a better way, whether it's a google glass type thing you can see without holding a brick up to your face, or siri just tells you what you want to know, more like having a conversation with a person when you want to know something, rather than having to read words.

google glass is the future when technology allows it and all the people who won't wear one because they think they look silly die out. Terminator vision is coming eventually, how could you not want it?

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
Or, Samsung and Google will ignore the watch thing entirely and skip straight ahead to Google Glass headsets. What more convenient way to glance at the time than have it staring you in the face?

Convenient if you want to walk into a wall.

ezhilk

macrumors member
May 15, 2011
Michigan
I am surprised a lot of folks think about this device as a watch in the conventional sense. This could be more of a wearable computing device than a watch, with showing time being one of the many features it might have to offer, that comparing it with Rolex or Citizen or whatever doesn't look at the broader picture. Maybe they'll even try to avoid putting the "watch" moniker when they release that product.

extensor

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2006
The lack of imagination from the naysayers in this thread is really astounding.

----------

I am surprised a lot of folks think about this device as a watch in the conventional sense. This could be more of a wearable computing device than a watch, with showing time being one of the many features it might have to offer, that comparing it with Rolex or Citizen or whatever doesn't look at the broader picture. Maybe they'll even try to avoid putting the "watch" moniker when they release that product.

I think i'll go trademark the term "wrist-top computer" LOL!

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
The lack of imagination from the naysayers in this thread is really astounding.

----------

I think i'll go trademark the term "wrist-top computer" LOL!

I'm just not interested in buying a watch that goes obsolete in a few years.

slimbek

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
What???????? Why would they need more than single digits? Maybe they are sweeping in software and all the engineering R&D staff but even still. It is a watch.

Was there even 100 folks on the original Mac team?

ed: No. "... It took forty minutes or so for around thirty-five team members to sign. Steve waited until last, when he picked a spot near the upper center and signed his name with a flourish. ... "
http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?story=Signing_Party.txt

Yeah... creating the original Mac is pretty much the same as fitting an entire computer into your wrist. So they should only need 9 people for that.

Aeolius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
I think i'll go trademark the term "wrist-top computer"

Something nice and inconspicuous:
20060623_pusa_2.jpg

Better yet:
PowerGlove.jpeg

kikima

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2013
Richmond, VA
I'm going to call BS on this.

Tim Cook said Apple will only enter a field if they can greatly improve it or disrupt it. I don't see how a "curved" glass watch disrupts anything. And I can't imagine that Apple would sell that many of these.

Or could this be a device targeted strictly for fitness? A combo pedometer, GPS device, radio, and phone for exercising?

What if the watch summoned an interactive OS onto a nearby hard surface? Like an instant, virtual iPad screen saved in and retrieved from the cloud.

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
Lol, "focus on products that people want"??? I thought Apple's claim to fame was coming up with "products that you didn't know you wanted" till Apple introduced it? iWatch, iGlasses, iTV, iPhone Pro, iPhone Nano (budget), Macbook Air w/ARM Processor (under $500) are all coming. This is the "Calm B4 The STORM"!!!

Exactly my thoughts. The iPad being the biggest in my books, I remember when it was announced and out for a couple of months and made fun of it for being useless. Fast forward 3 years there are 5 iPads in my family, which every member uses everyday...
I'll buy into the iwatch, because apple will do it right

blahblah100

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
A team of 100? Do you think we: Samsung, feel remotely scared now? Is that your tactic? I've yet to see a mortal man beat the power of the beast contained within our headquarters.

I wonder if the Swiss Railway clock is printed on that sheet of paper... :rolleyes:

roow110

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2011
If you don't think Apple will release in iWatch, why do you think they phased out their highly popular 6th gen iPod that could be used as a watch? Its obviously because they plan on releasing their own watch with much better functionality.

In addition, for those of you who think watches are a thing of the past, I agree. The iWatch is not a watch. It is a computer chip strapped to your wrist that will change the way we interact with technology. It will act as a mobile ID linked to our Apple ID, revolutionizing keys, passwords and mobile wallets. It will give us instant access to our phones with quick access to messages, phone, music and importantly siri. It will act as a mobile device on its own, a remote, a silent alarm, a gps, a compass and maybe even a wii-like game control. Oh, and don't forget a watch as well... Apple is going to revolutionize the watch this year, and it is going to be big.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
How often do you see teens these days wearing a watch?

How many teens carried around tablet computers before the iPad? Or MP3 players before the iPod? Not many.

I kind of want them focused on products that people actually want. I am not sure this watch is that big of a deal.

People usually don't know what they want until someone makes it (and does a good job at such). Before the Mac, very few people thought a mouse was a big deal, cursor keys worked just fine.

RonDMC

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2011
The problem is that these days a watch is pretty much a fashion accessory, a lot of people don't even use watches to tell the time even if they are wearing one. They usually just use a smart phone. When you talk about fashion everyone doesn't want to wear the same thing so it's going to have to be pretty spectacular to be a hit.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
This is becoming really stupid. So they are gonna not work on iphone design and dedicate bunch of people to work on watch that nobody truly want.. wow.. nice going mr.cook

Joesmith13245

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
I would agree that if such a watch were produced, telling (possibly literally) the time will be as central to it's function as the Alarm app is on your iPhone.

While I am not an expert on the Words Of Jobs, didn't he say something like Apple doesn't produce what people tell Apple they want, Apple tells people what they need in their devices.

Finally, I know that the comparison is essentially spurious, but the whole "curve" thing has been done before...in about 1930. Admittedly just a watch that diplays the time, but curved in both the body and the glass. I own one...

Gruen Curvex Watch...

I feel a patent lawsuit brewing.

Cyclonemac

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
This is becoming really stupid. So they are gonna not work on iphone design and dedicate bunch of people to work on watch that nobody truly want.. wow.. nice going mr.cook

People need to forget their ideas of what a watch is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.