Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

curmudgeon32

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
Me and my friend have designed something along the lines of what has been done here, and launched it on Indiegogo (a crowd funding website):

http://www.indiegogo.com/The-Nifty-MiniDrive-More-Space-Pretty-Package

So, I see you've had to back off of making it out of aluminum because of manufacturing concerns — but many of your product shots still show it in aluminum. That could really be seen as misleading, and you should replace with pictures of what you're shipping, not the prototype.

[edit: mea culpa for not reading further before posting: the exterior is still made of aluminum]

Last edited:

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
So, I see you've had to back off of making it out of aluminum because of manufacturing concerns — but many of your product shots still show it in aluminum. That could really be seen as misleading, and you should replace with pictures of what you're shipping, not the prototype.

Where did you get that from?

The latest updates don't mention backing off from making it from aluminium, you can even see pictures of the machining process in one of the latest updates (from 2 weeks ago):

2012-12-01111932.jpg

PartsPriorToDeburr.jpg

Machiningparts.jpg

cpjr

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2012
plastic knockoff

is there any solution besides the minidrive? seems like a nice solution but a bit pricey at $35

I paid $15, but looks like they are selling for $6 now through kickstarter - theminidrive.com

curmudgeon32

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012

Oops, my mistake, sorry! I read this "The main difference between the prototype and the production model is that we change the casing material of the body from mostly aluminium to an engineering plastic." and was an idiot and didn't read further.

lukekarts

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2009
It might be of interest to you guys... I received my Nifty Minidrive Air last Thursday. Did not expect it until this week so haven't currently got a 32GB Mini SDHC card to try, but I'm hopeful it will arrive today.

It does look well made, nice finish, aluminium matches my Air almost perfectly. The fit is not perfectly flush and it doesn't sit 100% straight but I can't see a fault with the Minidrive and actually SD cards never quite fit perfectly in my Air anyway.

When the card arrives I'll let you guys know if it works! :)

emartins

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
I just ordered the minidrive and a 64gb mini sd card. Total price was $67 on amazon. I had a $50 gift card so I figured $17 isnt to bad.

JonLa

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
My Nifty Minidrive arrived today.

I've been using a cut down cheap card like the ones mentioned earlier in this thread, complete with bit of tape to pull it in and out, so I've had the extra storage for a while.

I use a 64GB mini SD to store my itunes music library on a 2010 Air - I used Tunespan to split the library between two locations and it worked well with the cut down card.

So - my Minidrive - arrived today, ordered in the early days of the kickstarted. As reported elsewhere, there's slightly too much glue welding the drive to the packaging, but it's akin to the glue that holds cds to music magazines - with a bit of a wrestle you can get it all off.

Other than that it fits well in the slot - a tiny gap between the green of the drive end and the housing above it but I didn't expect it to fill the SD card slot so tightly it was difficult to remove.

And that's it - it works - my itunes library is as fast to access as before, I can write to the card, and I no longer have an ugly chopped down plastic card sticking out of the slot ever so slightly with a bit of tape on the end.

77slevin

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2013
Belgium
Good news

I bought and paid for 2 Nifty mini drives in early September, just after the run ended on Kickstarter. Just got my confirmation mail that they're being shipped to me. Didn't think I would ever get the drives. When ordering, they said delivery would be late December.:rolleyes:

Problem 1 with Nifty and customers: Give feedback on the status of their order. I mailed them 3 times asking for estimated delivery times and they never answered.

macAllen

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2009
Las Vegas
When do you guys think the Nifty minidrive will be available to the general public?

From what I can see they can even take care of their backers..

CultofMac says from CES "You can pick one up at the end of the month in Feb/March for $40"
Read more at http://www.cultofmac.com/209484/nifty-mini-drive-really-is-nifty-ces2013/#blyWIvEL18MBVBrO.99

Im debating if I should just order from their competitor on Amazon, looks like they have one too, with out a cheap pull tab.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BFMUT7Q/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=
Product Page http://www.theminidrive.com/TheMiniDrive.com/Product%28s%29.html

77slevin

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2013
Belgium
It's been available for everyone since early September. I'm no Kickstarter backer and ordered then.

Just order from their competitor. they started after the Nifty-Kickstarter and are able to deliver since October through Amazon.com. (+ It's cheaper)

Last edited:

emartins

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
I ordered the one from amazon with a 64gb card and at a $1 a gig that it cost, I couldnt be any happier. I was able to free up 54gb of space off my air. It does have that little tab but the tab does not stick out of the side of the air. Everything is perfectly flush. I didnt care that it was plastic as no one will be able to see it once it was inserted in anyway.

I would recommend it for people who dont want to wait.

77slevin

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2013
Belgium
I didnt care that it was plastic as no one will be able to see it once it was inserted in anyway.

I would recommend it for people who dont want to wait.

Why does everybody on every forum think that the Nifty drive is made of metal. That was the initial plan, but they changed it to plastic in the course of the Kickstarter-run. This is a quote from the site: "The main difference between the prototype and the production model is that we change the casing material of the body from mostly aluminium to an engineering plastic."

So you did the smart thing, yours was cheaper, faster delivered and of the same quality.

emartins

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
Why does everybody on every forum think that the Nifty drive is made of metal. That was the initial plan, but they changed it to plastic in the course of the Kickstarter-run. This is a quote from the site: "The main difference between the prototype and the production model is that we change the casing material of the body from mostly aluminium to an engineering plastic."

So you did the smart thing, yours was cheaper, faster delivered and of the same quality.

I didnt realize that they changed it over to plastic. The only advantage I saw was that it did look a little cleaner since they made theirs to sit perfectly flush with the Air. With the one I have it just looks like their is nothing in there at all. At a closer glance you can see the tab.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.