Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
iOS is an app launcher. Nothing more, nothing less. The goal I think isn't to wow you with UI jazz. The goal I think is to provide the most stable and consistent platform for developers to build apps and end users to enjoy and be productive with those apps. You have to know this when you buy into the Apple ecosystem.

Now that doesn't mean there won't be changes with the UI. But you had better understand that they will only be incremental changes. Apple wants to be stability personified. Android is all about the Jazz.

In the end, they both do thes same things, but they both have their opinions on how they are to do these things.

We can't get in a hisifit because Apple is who they are.

With all that said, I still want a bigger screen and some of that Jazz. LOL

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
I can get it. As I said, we must use our phones quite differently. I dont care to spend hours looking for apps that do the same thing, setting up 1password, dropbox etc. Just not how I want to spend my time.

:)

Neither do I
But apple pissed me off enough that I will deal with thoese to get a better screen for me and deal with it. Of course unless there is a iphone 6 this year.

Btw some of the crap they have not worked out must be work on this year. New notification center with obvious control such as controlling brightness and others. Better multitasking n better way to kill apps. Better way to kill all the apps at once. These are such an obvious choice n should have been that way from the begining. I don't know what the hell they work in at apple

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
:)

Neither do I
But apple pissed me off enough that I will deal with thoese to get a better screen for me and deal with it. Of course unless there is a iphone 6 this year.

Btw some of the crap they have not worked out must be work on this year. New notification center with obvious control such as controlling brightness and others. Better multitasking n better way to kill apps. Better way to kill all the apps at once. These are such an obvious choice n should have been that way from the begining. I don't know what the hell they work in at apple

There is no reason to micro-manage which apps are "running" in the background on iOS and which are not. iOS's APIs only allow for certain functions to run in the background, and even then many of them are timed. For example, certain audio and GPS apps can run continuously in the background, however an app like DropBox cannot. With DropBox, you can activate the app, allow it to begin to upload your recent photos to your cloud storage, then exit the app. The upload will continue for up to 10 minutes. After that, the background thread is suspended until you switch back to the app.

Now, whether you can live with iOS's limited background app abilities or whether you prefer Android's anything-goes backgrounding is entirely up to you.

iOS will try to "suspend" running apps in their current state upon exiting; the app will pick back up where it left off when you switch back to it, but this is not the same thing as the app continuing to run. The "suspended" app does occupy some RAM, but iOS will release that RAM (and the app will then "quit") when the RAM is needed for other purposes. It'll try to keep it as long as possible before releasing it, which people will see as so-called lagginess. However, this is much like any other modern computer OS (desktop or mobile). Same thing happens on Android, so it's not iOS-specific.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
There is no reason to micro-manage which apps are "running" in the background on iOS and which are not. iOS's APIs only allow for certain functions to run in the background, and even then many of them are timed. For example, certain audio and GPS apps can run continuously in the background, however an app like DropBox cannot. With DropBox, you can activate the app, allow it to begin to upload your recent photos to your cloud storage, then exit the app. The upload will continue for up to 10 minutes. After that, the background thread is suspended until you switch back to the app.

Now, whether you can live with iOS's limited background app abilities or whether you prefer Android's anything-goes backgrounding is entirely up to you.

iOS will try to "suspend" running apps in their current state upon exiting; the app will pick back up where it left off when you switch back to it, but this is not the same thing as the app continuing to run. The "suspended" app does occupy some RAM, but iOS will release that RAM (and the app will then "quit") when the RAM is needed for other purposes. It'll try to keep it as long as possible before releasing it, which people will see as so-called lagginess. However, this is much like any other modern computer OS (desktop or mobile). Same thing happens on Android, so it's not iOS-specific.

Good points. I think my mention of multitasking was just for us to be able to easily jump from app to app.. But yes, definitely agree on your point.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I refuse to read every since page of responses in this thread, but correct me if I'm wrong. Wasn't there a thread on this exact same issue prior to Apple announcing the iPhone 5? :rolleyes:

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I refuse to read every since page of responses in this thread, but correct me if I'm wrong. Wasn't there a thread on this exact same issue prior to Apple announcing the iPhone 5? :rolleyes:

Of course. And for the 4S. And for the 4. And for the 3GS...

Some people seem to think Apple responds to "threats" of leaving the platform if their pet feature isn't implemented. If they want to leave, they should just leave.

I left iOS for Android. Then came back within a year. For me, iOS's positives outweigh Android's positives.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012

What do you mean by this "so called lagginess"? Apps on the i5 are responsive instantly when you switch to that app, that isnt the case with the 4S or the 4..those have that slight delay, but the memory performance on the i5 is spectacular and really makes it feel like the app has been in the background like a regular Windows apllication

Newtoiphone17

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2013
I love my iPhone as I do the rest of my apple products. And I'm not jacking for some "cool new feature " or anything like that. All I want them to do is to make me feel like I'm hurting a new device when I buy a new device. The OS is just boring to me. I love the way everything works, but the tiled layout is starting to make me feel like I'm using an "easy to use" phone. If they don't freshens hinges up a bit I'll have to switch phones. I love my apple ecosystem and iCloud and how everything about iOS is so well laid out... But it's just getting so boring. I'd never thought I'd be saying any of this, especially this soon. Thank you for bumping up the specs, speed, camera,screen size, but just freshen the iOS up.

& go to android ? Trust me there is nothing impressing there besides widgets that drain your battery & RAM. Who wants 15 bloatware apps forced to be on your phone?? Imagine getting one software update & that it's it..... Blackberry?? Horrible app selection.... Windows mobile 8??? Uhh same issue as Blackberry. The iPhone is at the top of the food chain

iUseBoth

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2013
hahaha so true

----------

hey man you heard the news? JellyBean apps crash more then iOS 6 apps. its true, there was a report on Forbes a few days ago saying that iOS 6 apps are more stable then JellyBean. And that is quite amazing considering a good majority of iOS 6 users are iPhone 4 and 4S and so its quite impressive how apps crash less on iOS 6 with inferior hardware compared to Jellybean phones with dual cores and 2 gigs of ram.

----------

ever consider jailbreaking? there are great tweaks like NCsettings that puts the settings widget bar in your notification center, and it looks extremely neat aswell, i will post a picture of it,

Just easily scroll left and right on the widget bar for all your toggles

but jailbreaking is counter productive. Isn't the main selling point about Apple its stability and secureness? Now you're telling me to break that to get things I can get out of the box on Android and in a better fashion?

In Android I can see my notifications in my notification area of my phone and just swipe down to see them in more detail. On my iPhone i don't even know i have a notification in the notification center until i pull the damn thing down.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
but jailbreaking is counter productive. Isn't the main selling point about Apple its stability and secureness? Now you're telling me to break that to get things I can get out of the box on Android and in a better fashion?

In Android I can see my notifications in my notification area of my phone and just swipe down to see them in more detail. On my iPhone i don't even know i have a notification in the notification center until i pull the damn thing down.

Trust me, the Apple iOS devices are still safer even with a jailbreak then a Android... you just have to watch what you download and then you have both security and features

And its called icon badges...i can easily see what notifications i have

Last edited:

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I'm quite sure that all the people complaining about iOS and how stale it's become are just the tip of the iceberg of iOS users.

Explain to me what is stale about iOS, please. If you're someone who wants their smartphone to fart confetti, then go to Android. I'm pretty sure some manufacturer there has implemented such features.
Really, I just don't get why you don't get it. A smartphone exists for its usability, not to entertain kids.

And I'm pretty sure all the people who reply like you are Apple fanboys who think Apple can do no wrong.

Plenty of people use their phones for various forms of entertainment. Kids and adults alike. Other Adults have kids and keeping them entertained is an invaluable tool.

I don't get why you dont get it either.

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
What makes me laugh is that ya'll keep touting how not being made of plastic is a reason to get the iPhone.

Now that's funny! :D

I want my phone to look good and plastic has the opposite effect. Therefore it is a reason to get an iPhone.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
And I'm pretty sure all the people who reply like you are Apple fanboys who think Apple can do no wrong.

Plenty of people use their phones for various forms of entertainment. Kids and adults alike. Other Adults have kids and keeping them entertained is an invaluable tool.

I don't get why you dont get it either.

I've tried Android and didn't like it, but of course, I won't deny that others, the majority of smartphone users maybe, may like it better than iOS. I wouldn't call myself an Apple fanboy either, you see, I still use an iPhone 4, even though I could afford to spend the money on new Apple devices, I just don't see of what more use that'd be. The things I use my phone for can all still be done on iOS best. Of course that might not not suffice for, let alone convince, others.

I also agree that it may have sounded a bit aggressive to speak of phones that fart confetti, it just seems to me that many users on these forums are a bunch of kids who couldn't care more about customizing their phones all day. That's what I actually intended to express by my previous post, not start another flame war between Apple and Android lovers.

Also, I'd never say Apple can do no wrong. I use my phone jailbroken, if only to circumvent ads on YouTube, replace my slightly stubborn home button with gestures and be able to print (really) wirelessly (that is, without buying an Apple certified printer).

It's really just the people (children) here that annoy me when they keep saying iOS needs a major UI overhaul even though they don't have specific complaints as to what they don't like but just say "it's become stale!!!1!!1!1!"

Maybe I should just turn my back to such forums...

jasvncnt

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2011
New Jersey
& go to android ? Trust me there is nothing impressing there besides widgets that drain your battery & RAM. Who wants 15 bloatware apps forced to be on your phone?? Imagine getting one software update & that it's it..... Blackberry?? Horrible app selection.... Windows mobile 8??? Uhh same issue as Blackberry. The iPhone is at the top of the food chain

Widgets are the only "impressive" thing you see on Android? I guess it really depends on how you use your phone. I like to tinker. I guess I look at my phone more as a gadget..toy to play with. So for me i love having the ability to run custom ROM's and kernels..the ability to change my modem if im not getting a quality signal. Being able to make a backup of my whole device and restore that backup in matter of minutes when ever I want instead of having to restore my phone through itunes is a huge plus.
As far as buggy apps or force closes, again its how you use your device and what you install. Can you install a buggy app on Android? Sure. Will it cause FC's and issues? Sure. But same can be said for the iphone. Its all what you install.
As usual it comes down to user preference. Use what works for ya. Arguing about which one is better is just unproductive.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
Through out the years, there has always been at least one person (me) or one or two others who had iPhones where I worked. Not bad for a small company that has about 20 employees but that has changed over the past year or so.

My boss came in to our location last April and he was a 4S user. He upgraded to the 5 and kept if for about a month before selling it for a Galaxy Note. He's a big guy and well, it's much easier for him to type and use the bigger screen. Another guy also gave up his iPhone for the note.

As of today, I will be showing up for work with an Android also, a new Nexus 4. Everyone I work with now has Android phones.

I'm still keeping my iPhone line active as I bought a new 4S on my upgrade a few weeks ago. Nothing beats being able to buy a song in iTunes and have it on my computer when I get home or the other way around. Besides, I am still amazed after using a 4S (original 4S was with AT&T, second 4S was on Verizon and now a new 4S back on AT&T) on how amazing the screen quality is. The colors and sharpness impress me as if I just bought it on release. As of today, my 3 week old 4S will be unlocked as well.

I can't say that I'll buy another iPhone in the future but for now, I am extremely excited that my Nexus will be delivered in a few hours and how I will be free to add apps, change the appearance any way I want and even install a custom ROM if I choose. I think I may see the end of the tunnel as far as iPhones are concerned in my future in a year or so or whenever my AT&T upgrade is due.

Change is good and being able to have a choice is even better.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
Through out the years, there has always been at least one person (me) or one or two others who had iPhones where I worked. Not bad for a small company that has about 20 employees but that has changed over the past year or so.

My boss came in to our location last April and he was a 4S user. He upgraded to the 5 and kept if for about a month before selling it for a Galaxy Note. He's a big guy and well, it's much easier for him to type and use the bigger screen. Another guy also gave up his iPhone for the note.

As of today, I will be showing up for work with an Android also, a new Nexus 4. Everyone I work with now has Android phones.

I'm still keeping my iPhone line active as I bought a new 4S on my upgrade a few weeks ago. Nothing beats being able to buy a song in iTunes and have it on my computer when I get home or the other way around. Besides, I am still amazed after using a 4S (original 4S was with AT&T, second 4S was on Verizon and now a new 4S back on AT&T) on how amazing the screen quality is. The colors and sharpness impress me as if I just bought it on release. As of today, my 3 week old 4S will be unlocked as well.

I can't say that I'll buy another iPhone in the future but for now, I am extremely excited that my Nexus will be delivered in a few hours and how I will be free to add apps, change the appearance any way I want and even install a custom ROM if I choose. I think I may see the end of the tunnel as far as iPhones are concerned in my future in a year or so or whenever my AT&T upgrade is due.

Change is good and being able to have a choice is even better.

I'm a iphone 5 user but I am okay with the screen size, but I understand some people need bigger phones.

It's like shoes, people have different preferences and sizes. One phone size does not fit all.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I've been a big mobile enthusiast long before there was such a thing as a smartphone. Prior to iOS & Android I've been deeply involved in both Mac & Windows on the desktop. Thus my only point is my position is as a cross platform user, I'm not aligned permanently within any Eco Sytem or Platform.

Upon the original iPhone release I bought one. Then later upon the first Android release I bought one of those. Because Apple had a substantial headstart, they were somewhat more advanced until Android 4.0. Next up Jelly Bean 4.1 revealed an OS much more advanced than any version of iOS at that juncture. A fact that reveals the normal ebb & flow as various manufacturers develop their products.

Using both concurrently has been a very interesting & enjoyable experience. Both having their pros & cons, mainstream users have never had more usable & fun choices than they do at the present. As usual, it all simply boils down to personal preference.

Apples stroke of brilliance was creating iTunes, a way to lock users into Apples walled garden. And if not locked, Apples got them feeling that way due to their investment in Apps & other Apple proprietary media.

Now that Android has the fairly mature Google Play Store, and other resources available to Android users, Apples lead is all but neutralized.

Of even greater significance & a distinct Android advantage, is the wide variety of device choices & price points, which Apple will never be able to match.

2013 promises to be a banner year for Google's Android. How Apple copes with this will be very interesting.
Very well put. I concur.

Mike

Newtoiphone17

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2013
egyzy6ar.jpg
tare9ehu.jpg
zybu3esa.jpg
epu3yjuh.jpg
Widgets are the only "impressive" thing you see on Android? I guess it really depends on how you use your phone. I like to tinker. I guess I look at my phone more as a gadget..toy to play with. So for me i love having the ability to run custom ROM's and kernels..the ability to change my modem if im not getting a quality signal. Being able to make a backup of my whole device and restore that backup in matter of minutes when ever I want instead of having to restore my phone through itunes is a huge plus.
As far as buggy apps or force closes, again its how you use your device and what you install. Can you install a buggy app on Android? Sure. Will it cause FC's and issues? Sure. But same can be said for the iphone. Its all what you install.
As usual it comes down to user preference. Use what works for ya. Arguing about which one is better is just unproductive.

The whole custom Rom thing got really old really quick. Every Rom had major bugs such as some features didn't work.. The phone would heat up to 120F & reboot. The iPhone just works that you don't have I go through all that. A jailbreak even add more feature's than Android. There are hundreds of apps to tweak the iPhone. When Devs makes Roms they have control of the tweaks. I'm in control of my iPhone with a jailbreak. Another thing about android is the UI is so dark & depressing. A lot of blacks & dark blues are used & it wasn't appealing to my eyse. The iOS UI is bright & Elegant to say the least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.