Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
No they don't. Cider wrappers uses a 32 bit framework, so it will never use more than 4GB.

I'm also pretty sure he just thinks he gets those numbers, as my 2011 MBA, does not even manage 30 FPS at lowest settings in OSX. That being said, his machine is faster, but it should be more like 10-15% faster and not over 100% faster.

hmmm. I wonder how Haswell will fair!

AlexSPN

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Hey everyone, could you please let me know if you think my MacBook Pro can run GW2 (not on bootcamp), and if possible, how well it would run?

MacBook Pro 13" (mid-2011)
Intel Core i5
2.3 GHz
4 GB RAM
Intel HD 3000

Thank you :)

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
Hey everyone, could you please let me know if you think my MacBook Pro can run GW2 (not on bootcamp), and if possible, how well it would run?

MacBook Pro 13" (mid-2011)
Intel Core i5
2.3 GHz
4 GB RAM
Intel HD 3000

Thank you :)

Hey mate,

Based on this thread I don't think it will be playable on your machine. On bootcamp, it might be okay, but I don't think you should try the native client.

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
I don't know what they changed in the last update, but I get much better frame rate, now. Still struggles a bit when quickly turning around, though.

17" 2010 MacBook Pro.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
If the Mac Client gets improved I can delete the PC side from my Bootcamp. That would nicely free up a ton of space on there.

xVeinx

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2006
California
My iMac is the edu version, meaning it has an i3 and only 256 Mb of DDR3 ram paired with the 6750 GPU. When I set everything at low (windowed and 1600x900) and set sampling to native and add FXAA, I manage 30+ fps except in extreme zergs in WvW. The game still looks nice, though isn't anywhere near as nice as when I played it on my Windows box awhile back. The game probably isn't going to get much better than this on this hardware unless ArenaNet decides to invest in a true, optimized, well-designed OS X client. I don't see that happening unfortunately.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
My iMac is the edu version, meaning it has an i3 and only 256 Mb of DDR3 ram paired with the 6750 GPU. When I set everything at low (windowed and 1600x900) and set sampling to native and add FXAA, I manage 30+ fps except in extreme zergs in WvW. The game still looks nice, though isn't anywhere near as nice as when I played it on my Windows box awhile back. The game probably isn't going to get much better than this on this hardware unless ArenaNet decides to invest in a true, optimized, well-designed OS X client. I don't see that happening unfortunately.

You'll probably upgrade to a new Mac first. However, I think 30fps is pretty darn good for your hardware, no?

xVeinx

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2006
California
You'll probably upgrade to a new Mac first. However, I think 30fps is pretty darn good for your hardware, no?

I'm not complaining to be honest. The game is gorgeous when in full form, but it's still nice when playing at my current settings. I enjoy the game and playing with my guild; being able to do that while ditching windows is just a plus :D.

mfsooko

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
Problems Running GW2

Hey all,

thought I'd post this question to you guys, since both the Apple people and the ArenaNet people have been largely useless...

I have a new 13" MB pro (bought 2 months ago) which I've been running dual desktop. On the Windows side, I'm able to run GW2 fine. BUT when I go to run the Mac client, I keep getting the following error:

"The game client is unable to gain access to the log-in server at this time. This is most commonly caused by firewall or router settings, security applications or
connecting through a campus network"

My issue is that I have no firewall active, and I've tried it on several different networks. Also, since it works fine on my Windows boot, I figure it must be an issue with Mountain Lion. I've tried turning off EVERY program, including all that open on startup, and I've tried various DNS server issues that I've seen elsewhere (since I've also had some issues with secure websites, such as banking sites), to no avail.

I've not seen anyone else with this exact problem, which probably is why both AN and Apple have had no solutions for me thus far.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Hey all,

thought I'd post this question to you guys, since both the Apple people and the ArenaNet people have been largely useless...

I have a new 13" MB pro (bought 2 months ago) which I've been running dual desktop. On the Windows side, I'm able to run GW2 fine. BUT when I go to run the Mac client, I keep getting the following error:

"The game client is unable to gain access to the log-in server at this time. This is most commonly caused by firewall or router settings, security applications or
connecting through a campus network"

My issue is that I have no firewall active, and I've tried it on several different networks. Also, since it works fine on my Windows boot, I figure it must be an issue with Mountain Lion. I've tried turning off EVERY program, including all that open on startup, and I've tried various DNS server issues that I've seen elsewhere (since I've also had some issues with secure websites, such as banking sites), to no avail.

I've not seen anyone else with this exact problem, which probably is why both AN and Apple have had no solutions for me thus far.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

It is telling you your problem, it cannot connect to the server, It is nothing to do with Lion, the problem I would say it is a Broadband/IPS problem in some way, plus your machine probably will not run it under the Cider client anyway. The Cider client is machine hungry unlike the Native Windows version.

How do you mean you have tried different networks, within the same building I assume, think you mat need a direct net connection myself, get the machine of off any network.

You could always just play it in Windows seeing as that is what the game is written for.

mfsooko

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
It is telling you your problem, it cannot connect to the server, It is nothing to do with Lion, the problem I would say it is a Broadband/IPS problem in some way, plus your machine probably will not run it under the Cider client anyway. The Cider client is machine hungry unlike the Native Windows version.

How do you mean you have tried different networks, within the same building I assume, think you mat need a direct net connection myself, get the machine of off any network.

You could always just play it in Windows seeing as that is what the game is written for.

I've tried connecting directly, and I've tried different networks in different buildings. Also, I'm not running the cider client, rather running Windows boot in Bootcamp. I'd like to be able to use the Mac client because the only reason (really) that I am running Windows is to play the game... it'd be nice if I could run the Mac build.

tudyniuz

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
Amsterdam
Has anyone tried the Mac client on a 2011 or 2012 MBA? I tried it on my 2012 11" MBA and on the lowest settings it gets 20 FPS. My Windows laptop has mediocre specs but runs the game at 30FPS with everything turned up to the max. How can the Mac version be this horrible?

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Is the GW2 client still a beta? I'm just curious if they've gotten to a point where it is an official release.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
When you download it, it doesn't say anyhting about a beta, so it's probably a full release now. But it's laggy and glitchy as hell.

Just booted the game up and when in gameplay, top left it says MAC BETA.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Too bad they didn't just do a proper native port. Oh, well. Thanks for the info. Whenever I get around to this, I think I will just go the bootcamp route and skip the hassle.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Too bad they didn't just do a proper native port. Oh, well. Thanks for the info. Whenever I get around to this, I think I will just go the bootcamp route and skip the hassle.

The Mac Beta runs OK if you have a bit of grunt, I have no worries with it.

tudyniuz

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
Amsterdam
I think the game is very playable at 21 FPS. I'm using a 2012 11" MBA.

You get even better FPS when inside of a city because less terrain has to be loaded.

Attachments

• Captur? de ecran 2013-02-19 la 12.01.36.png
    Captur? de ecran 2013-02-19 la 12.01.36.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 287
  • Captur? de ecran 2013-02-19 la 12.02.18.png
    Captur? de ecran 2013-02-19 la 12.02.18.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 220

atarria

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2009
try it

I have been playing GW2 since December with very little problem. Vista clips have a small amount of hesitation but otherwise, it plays ok. The game set its preferences automaticly.
My four characters are all near or beyond lvl 40 and I have completed three jumping puzzles.
At this point I have not tried WvW or PvP and I expect there will be lag playing in very large groups.

Mid 2011 27 inch 10.8.2
Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

tudyniuz

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
Amsterdam
Guild Wars 2 Mac Client

Can you post some pictures with your settings? I'm just curious about your performance. But make sure to be outside of a city, in an open area.

atarria

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2009
settings

Windowed res 2560 x 1440
Animation -medium
no AA
environment -medium
LOD -low
reflections -none
textures -medium
render -native
shadows -low
shaders -medium
post processing low

and Depth blur checked
The screen shot says FPS: 18, I am outside Lion's Arch.

Game is playable at these setting but not as beautiful as I would expect it to be at higher settings. I would like to know if the new skinny iMacs heat up as much as mine. I have to turn down the burn with SMC Fan Control.

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
Windowed res 2560 x 1440
Animation -medium
no AA
environment -medium
LOD -low
reflections -none
textures -medium
render -native
shadows -low
shaders -medium
post processing low

and Depth blur checked

Game is playable at these setting but not as beautiful as I would expect it to be at higher settings. I would like to know if the new skinny iMacs heat up as much as mine. I have to turn down the burn with SMC Fan Control.

have you tried lowering resolution to 1080?

thegreatdivorce

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2010
Upper Left USA
Windowed res 2560 x 1440
Animation -medium
no AA
environment -medium
LOD -low
reflections -none
textures -medium
render -native
shadows -low
shaders -medium
post processing low

and Depth blur checked

I'd definitely try running it at 1080P instead of 1440P. Your GPU is going to really struggle with that resolution. Drop the resolution, and you should be able to up some of the other details. I'd personally drop Depth of Field blur, too ... it tends to be pretty framerate-hungry.

tudyniuz

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
Amsterdam
Is there anyone with a top of the line Macbook Pro Retina playing this game? I'm very curious if it runs with all the options at maximum? And I don't mean 1080p, but the max resolution that the Mac offers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.