Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
I was at a friends birthday over the weekend and it got to one hour to go and I realised I hadn't taken any pictures!

I quickly got out my camera and took as many as I could in the short time that I had. Alcohol might have been a factor in this!

When I was reviewing them I noticed that they flowed together quite well so I whacked them into Final Cut and exported this.

Has anyone else ever tried something like this with some success?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Well time-lapse is like that, right?
I would slow down the video a little ... just a tad. Otherwise, it is pretty cool.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Well time-lapse is like that, right?
I would slow down the video a little ... just a tad. Otherwise, it is pretty cool.

This is the thing. At the moment most stills are 3 frames long with a couple at 4 but when all of them were 4 it felt even more stacatto and didn't flow at all!

I didn't intend to make it but now I have experienced it I might think about it a bit more when shooting.

I suppose it is rapid time lapsing but the difference is there is no fixed intervals and no fixed subject!

Nov 28, 2010
located
In a similar fashion, a long time ago I did something with my analog photos in Combustion, low resolution with German text here (260p, as higher resolutions were not available back then - 2006 or so).

I recently was on a trailer shot, where most of the footage (one dolly shot) was recorded in 120 fps on an Alexa Studio camera, but some scenes were shot on 35 mm film (for a still camera, thus only 36 pictures) with a Lomokino camera:

I haven't seen the results yet though, but will post a link when editing is finished.

But thanks for posting them, will try that out with all the making of photos I have from my previous shoots and see what comes out of it.

jodelli

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2008
Windsor, ON, Canada
Took a series of shots for a panorama moving the camera only a few degrees at a time for redundancy. It made for a shaky movie with iMovie HD. At the end were effects stills running together. I was still using Photoshop five years ago.

Here are some of the still shots as I only have a project version of the 'movie' on my BU drive.

2526575644_a3519cf009_b.jpg

2437667422_170d338d55_z.jpg

8195877466_9460c55ff6_b.jpg

2400148473_5a0967a81b_b.jpg

8194781927_b984041897_b.jpg

8194782725_c2f61ec0db_b.jpg

8195876490_5386d5d002_b.jpg

2516195912_904280d9c5_b.jpg

Last edited:

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
In a similar fashion, a long time ago I did something with my analog photos in Combustion, low resolution with German text here (260p, as higher resolutions were not available back then - 2006 or so).

I recently was on a trailer shot, where most of the footage (one dolly shot) was recorded in 120 fps on an Alexa Studio camera, but some scenes were shot on 35 mm film (for a still camera, thus only 36 pictures) with a Lomokino camera:
YouTube: video

I haven't seen the results yet though, but will post a link when editing is finished.

But thanks for posting them, will try that out with all the making of photos I have from my previous shoots and see what comes out of it.

I liked your video. Although I didn't have the meaning it reminded me a lot of the opening to homeland

I have seen the Lomokino before. Almost impulse bought one but decided I would never really use the 4-6 fps and at it becomes quite pricey very quickly!

That works quite nicely. I remember Chase Jarvis did something similar at a studio party. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w35NQiNnFc

12 minutes is a bit much however!

This looks a bit more like a traditional timelapse to me and the static camera makes it a bit more dull. 12 minutes as well is far too long! I started skipping through it at 1:30!

Took a series of shots for a panorama moving the camera only a few degrees at a time for redundancy. It made for a shaky movie with iMovie HD. At the end were effects stills running together. I was still using Photoshop five years ago.

Here are some of the still shots as I only have a project version of the 'movie' on my BU drive.

2526575644_a3519cf009_b.jpg

2437667422_170d338d55_z.jpg

8195877466_9460c55ff6_b.jpg

2400148473_5a0967a81b_b.jpg

8194781927_b984041897_b.jpg

8194782725_c2f61ec0db_b.jpg

8195876490_5386d5d002_b.jpg

2516195912_904280d9c5_b.jpg

Looks good. I would be interested to see the results. Sort of similar to what people are doing with Hyperlapses now!

farbRausch

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2012
I was at a friends birthday over the weekend and it got to one hour to go and I realised I hadn't taken any pictures!

I quickly got out my camera and took as many as I could in the short time that I had. Alcohol might have been a factor in this!

When I was reviewing them I noticed that they flowed together quite well so I whacked them into Final Cut and exported this.

Has anyone else ever tried something like this with some success?

I think you did a great job as the shots are actually interesting and deliver that party feeling quite well.

That video from the Jarvis of the Chase is actually a bit boring. But keep in mind that it well appear far more interesting for those, who actually were at the party. I actually like the idea to set up the camera on a tripod in front of a wall and just see what happens. Sadly, none of my cams feature an intervalometer.
At the end of the movie 'Hangover' is a similar sequence:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk84VMk34sU

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
I think you did a great job as the shots are actually interesting and deliver that party feeling quite well.

That video from the Jarvis of the Chase is actually a bit boring. But keep in mind that it well appear far more interesting for those, who actually were at the party. I actually like the idea to set up the camera on a tripod in front of a wall and just see what happens. Sadly, none of my cams feature an intervalometer.
At the end of the movie 'Hangover' is a similar sequence:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk84VMk34sU

Thanks for the feedback. Intervalometers are cheap! That's no excuse! I think I picked mine up for less than £10 but I haven't used it in a while.

I do agree about it's always more interesting when your in it theory but still 12 minutes of similar shots is dull. Unfortunately thanks to sods law now I have thought about this technique I now don't really have any shoots on the horizon to actually try it out at!

The one at the end of the Hangover is paced far to slow. Admittedly I think it comes up at the same time as the credits so it has to be a certain length but I like that fact that mine is almost too quick that it leaves you wanting a bit more. At least thats my view!

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Slow it waaaaay down. It's pretty much just a blur.

That's the point! If I wanted a video I would have filmed it. I see it as a way to create a snapshot of an event so you can get an idea of the mood rather than properly document it.

I realise it's probably not for everyone but some of my friends that were present though it was quite a whizzy way to represent the party.

Here is another one that I attempted from a shoot last week. Obviously not quite the same mood.

zombiecakes

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2012
For good time lapse videos you should have the focal point flow. Which means a lot of cropping and scaling. You can have the focal point move around but dont have it jump around the screen. Even when a bunch of different pictures are moving very fast the eye wants to focus on something and when the focal point is jumping from one side to the other theres no time to even tell whats going on, cropping the pictures so the focal point is always relatively close will have it flow a lot better.

If you dont want to crop and scale then when taking pictures with time lapse in mind make sure the faces are all relatively in the same spot of the frame.

Last edited:

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Wow…I really like the party sequence. Yes it's fast but I get the feeling the party was as well. I suspect you've produced something that conveys the mood and feel of the evening very well and you've done it with a professional appearance.

I wonder if some may have trouble because of the way they're viewing it. What I mean is...the individual images have a lot of detail. I seem to be able to absorb enough of the detail that it works for me. But I watched it on a 27 in. iMac display. If I was to watch it on a 15 in. display…I'm not sure that it would work so well.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Really like it! I think I might give that a go. Good work man. Def not to fast, Both of the are very cool.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
For good time lapse videos you should have the focal point flow. Which means a lot of cropping and scaling. You can have the focal point move around but dont have it jump around the screen. Even when a bunch of different pictures are moving very fast the eye wants to focus on something and when the focal point is jumping from one side to the other theres no time to even tell whats going on, cropping the pictures so the focal point is always relatively close will have it flow a lot better.

If you dont want to crop and scale then when taking pictures with time lapse in mind make sure the faces are all relatively in the same spot of the frame.

I think with some planning for the next one I might be able to create something that flows better. I quite like the random nature of it mixed with the high tempo music but I agree with your point that sometimes it is hard to focus on what's going on!

Wow…I really like the party sequence. Yes it's fast but I get the feeling the party was as well. I suspect you've produced something that conveys the mood and feel of the evening very well and you've done it with a professional appearance.

I wonder if some may have trouble because of the way they're viewing it. What I mean is...the individual images have a lot of detail. I seem to be able to absorb enough of the detail that it works for me. But I watched it on a 27 in. iMac display. If I was to watch it on a 15 in. display…I'm not sure that it would work so well.

I think the size thing is an issue. If you watch it on the tiny vimeo screen when I shared it on facebook it looks awful so I pleaded with my friends to watch it in HD and full screen! I can imagine on 27" it must look great!

Really like it! I think I might give that a go. Good work man. Def not to fast, Both of the are very cool.

Thanks! It's opened up a new avenue of what's possible post-shoot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.