Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericinboston

macrumors 68010
Jan 13, 2008
So nobody was buying them...

Exactly...

$1500+ for a laptop, any laptop, is still a high price these days...especially for a 13" display. Most folks can get a great laptop for under $1000 with or without lots of bells and whistles. The only people that spend over $1000 for a laptop are power users that need the RAM/CPU/Drive specs.

Mac Fans can reply all they want about the sleekness and the Flash drive vs. mechanical and Retina...but at the end of the day there is a very, very small % of people that will spend this kind of money for a laptop. Hence the improvements AND price drop by Apple.

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Mac Fans can reply all they want about the sleekness and the Flash drive vs. mechanical and Retina...but at the end of the day there is a very, very small % of people that will spend this kind of money for a laptop. Hence the improvements AND price drop by Apple.

Whoa, computer got better and cheaper over time? Surely you jest, since that has NEVER happened before!

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Looks like Apple have killed off the high end regular 15 inch?

You can still configure it with the higher end specs. They just no longer have it as one of the "standard" configurations that go to all stores. I'm sure it is part of the de-emphasizing process. By the end of the year (perhaps with the late summer refresh), I'm guessing that the 15" cMBP is gone. I think we might still see one 13" cMBP for another year, at least in the education market.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I'm taking this as a sign that 2013 will see the end of the cMBP. I for one welcome our new Retina overlords.

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
I love my 15" MacBook Pro, but the minute they make a retina MacBook Air, I'm sold! :cool:

Don't expect to see it this year. According to Anandtech, the amount of power that requires to power a "Retina" screen is simply too much if Apple still want to maintain the current dimensions of the Air. Not to mention the battery life that would take a great hit by having a retina screen.

Maybe next year though. Unless Apple are willing to sacrifice thickness or battery life.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
You can still configure it with the higher end specs. They just no longer have it as one of the "standard" configurations that go to all stores. I'm sure it is part of the de-emphasizing process. By the end of the year (perhaps with the late summer refresh), I'm guessing that the 15" cMBP is gone. I think we might still see one 13" cMBP for another year, at least in the education market.

yeah, true.

jemesouviens

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2012
the rmbp 13 remains poor value imo - here's hoping for a dedicated gpu in the next iteration.

so glad I went for an mba instead!

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Apple's always going to update I guess. Still, I'm kinda annoyed the cMBPs I have are obsolete.

They aren't "obsolete." They are just no longer the newest versions. Apple still produces them for now and will still support them for quite some time.

----------

the rmbp 13 remains poor value imo - here's hoping for a dedicated gpu in the next iteration.

so glad I went for an mba instead!

Not really. The 13" rMBP pricing is now consistent with the 13" cMBP pricing, just as it has been for the 15". Configure a 13" rMBP with 8GB and SSD, and it costs exactly the same.

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
I don't think this is the last price drop we will see for the rMBP. If they discontinue classic MBP with Haswell than rMBP will need to drop in price even further. I kind of think that they did this mid gen price drop so that they don't do a significant price drop overnight and irk the consumers/investors.

mrhick01

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
All the college kids have Retina MacBook Pros?

I am a workstation/server manager for the law school of a major university. I can say with confidence that the Mac to PC laptop ratio amongst the law school students is about 75/25.

An anecdotal example.

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
No-one has said this yet so I'm going to do it and then wait to get lots and lots of flack...

WHERE'S THE NEW MAC PRO, APPLE???? :mad:

Light touch paper and retreat to a safe distance. ;)

ericinboston

macrumors 68010
Jan 13, 2008
Whoa, computer got better and cheaper over time? Surely you jest, since that has NEVER happened before!

That rule has NEVER applied to Apple. There are countless examples. In fact, Apple often RAISES prices (Mac Mini is a great example...so is the iMac).

This price drop is directly tied to lack of sales for an over-priced, expensive, 13" laptop computer.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
I am a workstation/server manager for the law school of a major university. I can say with confidence that the Mac to PC laptop ratio amongst the law school students is about 75/25.

An anecdotal example.

75% have Retina MacBook Pros?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
2.5GHz Still in the Base 13"?

The spec sheet looks a little odd:

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs-retina/

It appears that the $1499 base still has the 2.5GHz. Go to the store and "configure" it to 256GB and it still shows the 2.5GHz and is priced at $1699, the same as the new 2.6GHz standard configuration. It also shows the 2.9GHz i7 as the optional upgrade.

However, start with the 2.6GHz at $1699 and you can configure it with the new 3.0GHz i7.

I wonder if someone at Apple messed up the spec sheet or if they are still equipping the $1499 models with the 2.5GHz? Oddly, the $1499 model lacks the "new" badge that is on the other models.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro

----------

That rule has NEVER applied to Apple. There are countless examples. In fact, Apple often RAISES prices (Mac Mini is a great example...so is the iMac).

This price drop is directly tied to lack of sales for an over-priced, expensive, 13" laptop computer.

??? Apple dramatically lowered the price of the MacBook Air on several occasions (November 2008, June 2009, October 2010).

ChadwickS

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2010
Of course, everyone on Twitter who has bought a MacBook now complains:

F###### S###!!! Apple just spec bumped their Retina Macbook Pro line. Look like I'll be returning the one I bought about a week ago. - Edwin Torres (@iEdwinT)

A week ago? Ok, that's some frustration there.

How does Apple dare to update its Macbook Pros a few weeks after I bought mine? - Ronen Mendezitsky (@ronenmendez)

Two weeks ago? Alright, I can buy that.

Of course, because I bought a MacBook Air less than a month ago! - Sean Brodrick (@SeanBrodrick)

A month? My sympathy-meter is seriously starting to wane here.

Apple just cut the price on the MacBook Pro with Retina Display... bought one in Aug- can I get the difference, Steve? - Rocco Pendola (@Rocco_TheStreet)

August! I don't know what the statute of limitations are for Apple anger at new products, but I think you've broken it.

Chadwick

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.