Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Nice. This is the "derived" price many of us suggested, using the rMBP vs. cMBP as a reference. The inflated 13" price didn't make much sense, in fact, it would've made more sense for the 15" to have a slight premium.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Hah. Walk around a college campus, ANY college campus and see how long you can hold onto that thought. Nice try though.
I go to a college in a very affluent area. Only two students at my college that I'm aware of have a rMBP. Everyone has either a MBA, cMBP, or iPad. Nice try, though.

eltaurus

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
this was the price I was looking for at the launch of rMBP 13 (with 1GB dedicated GPU) but apple disappointed me at that time so i go with rMBP 15 it was a better buy at that time.. still with price drop I prefer 15" but lower the price for 15 as well

& WHERE IS MAC PRO waiting waiting

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Of course, everyone on Twitter who has bought a MacBook now complains:

A week ago? Ok, that's some frustration there.

Two weeks ago? Alright, I can buy that.

A month? My sympathy-meter is seriously starting to wane here.

August! I don't know what the statute of limitations are for Apple anger at new products, but I think you've broken it.

Chadwick

Hahaha, nice analysis :D

Just told my wife to make an angry Twitter post about her 13" MBP we bought in 2010 ...

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
They had to do this. The rMBPs are way too expensive, especially the 13". I'm waiting for Haswell though. I didn't think they'd drop the price until the Haswell refresh.

Too expensive? In the USA, the 13" rMBP costs exactly the same as non-retina with the same RAM and SSD drive. In the UK, it is just £10 more. So the question isn't really "Retina or no retina" anymore, it is "SSD or hard drive". SSD is more expensive. But if you want SSD, there is no point at all in buying the non-retina MBP at all.

(Exception: With the non-retina MBPs you can roll your own Fusion drive to combine SSD + huge storage. Doesn't work with Retina display).

I don't think this is the last price drop we will see for the rMBP. If they discontinue classic MBP with Haswell than rMBP will need to drop in price even further. I kind of think that they did this mid gen price drop so that they don't do a significant price drop overnight and irk the consumers/investors.

The problem is everyone who wants more than 128GB (and isn't made of money). The price is now exactly the same for Retina and non-Retina with the same specs, you are basically swapping Retina + slim and light case for an optical drive. The problem would be if the lower specs (hard drive) and large, slow, affordable storage (big hard drive) go away. I think Apple could sell the old MBPs unchanged, just with the display exchanged for a Retina display.

Last edited:

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
That rule has NEVER applied to Apple.

Oh, except for things like MacBook air, which initially cost $1799, but now starts at under $1000 while having superior specs and design?

I think the word "never" doesn't quite mean what you think it means.

There are countless examples.

Uh-huh.

This price drop is directly tied to lack of sales for an over-priced, expensive, 13" laptop computer.

Says Mr. Armchair CEO. And again: overpriced compared to what? Those other, non-existant retina-laptops?

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what Intel microarchitecture does this proc use? Haswell? When is the newest/next architecture expected to come out? Sorry, after a while, all of these blur together & forget when each is/was announced.

I have a 2008 MBP that's getting long in the tooth, hence why I'm asking.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
wait, am I missing something here. Why is the larger SSD cheaper?

jzgq9s.png
[/IMG]

Last edited:

minds57

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
Memory Price Increase?

Did anyone else notice that RAM upgrades for the rMBP 15" is now $200 to go from 8GB to 16GB? Previously, it was $180. What is the reason for the price increase? Are they using different hardware for the memory or is it just that the upgraded processor requires some kind of extra overhead for memory upgrades? Any ideas?

ironjoe

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
I feel incredibly lucky that I'm still in my return period for my higher end 15 inch rMBP. I will gladly take a free upgrade to 16g RAM.

peejack

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
The question is now... should I wait for Haswell or Broadwell?

I don't know, but if you can do whatever 'work' it is you wanna do on a...and I quote...

"2011 Mini | 13" + 15" Macbook Pro 2012 | Powermac G5 | 27" TBD | iPhone 3GS (16GB) | iPad 1 and iPad 4 | iPod touch 4G (64GB) | Apple Wireless Keyboard + Magic Mouse x2 | Magic Trackpad | "

Then your screwed. Haswell or Broadwell.:p

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Did anyone else notice that RAM upgrades for the rMBP 15" is now $200 to go from 8GB to 16GB? Previously, it was $180. What is the reason for the price increase? Are they using different hardware for the memory or is it just that the upgraded processor requires some kind of extra overhead for memory upgrades? Any ideas?

they dropped the prices to raise the prices of upgrades. the difference has to be made back somehow

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
I don't know, but if you can do whatever 'work' it is you wanna do on a...and I quote...

"2011 Mini | 13" + 15" Macbook Pro 2012 | Powermac G5 | 27" TBD | iPhone 3GS (16GB) | iPad 1 and iPad 4 | iPod touch 4G (64GB) | Apple Wireless Keyboard + Magic Mouse x2 | Magic Trackpad | "

Then your screwed. Haswell or Broadwell.:p
Why did you quote my sig? Well, Haswell's meant to be a good update, I'm hoping for 16GB base RAM. :) XD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.