Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Agreed... 105mb download, 319mb installed.... that's a weighty update for something MS classifies as "minor".... Seriously, they need to improve the responsiveness of the Mac version, its so slow, even on these beefeater Macs we use.

It's a cumulative update, including all of 14.2.4 through 14.3.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
I just use pages, numbers, and keynote. They work seemlessly between my iPad and Mac mini and its made my life much easier since switching from MicroSucks. Oops... Spelling error.

Why does every story about Microsoft bring out the hateboys who don't even use Microsoft products? If you're happy with home-handyman-level, easy to use iWorks then just use it and shut up.

If a user needs real spreadsheet and word processor power then MS Office is the way to go. Office 2011 is so much better than iWorks. I've got both on my Macs.

bjm2660

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Virginia
Why does every story about Microsoft bring out the hateboys who don't even use Microsoft products? If you're happy with home-handyman-level, easy to use iWorks then just use it and shut up.

If a user needs real spreadsheet and word processor power then MS Office is the way to go. Office 2011 is so much better than iWorks. I've got both on my Macs.

I'm not arguing with the features disparity; MS Office takes the cake there. I am just tired of frustration.

Has anyone ever taken notes with Word 2011 on a Mac in Notebook layout then increased the magnification at the top only to see strange wordart formatting pop up anywhere? It's a glitch and a very annoying one at that.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Good Luck with that in the real world... I want to hear how Pages and Numbers works when you need to exchange documents with people running Office. How does numbers handle that Excel document that has extensive custom macros or how does your awesome Pages resume look to the recruiter in Word?
-P

People do just fine in the Real World using Pages (formerly AppleWorks) for years. It's true, that Pages and Numbers might not be the gold standard in the corporate world, but they do just fine for small businesses, students, educators, and home users in the Real World.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
I just use pages, numbers, and keynote. They work seemlessly between my iPad and Mac mini and its made my life much easier since switching from MicroSucks. Oops... Spelling error.

I guess you do more of your work alone? Doesn't quite work this way in the corporate world (or even university/college).

----------

I've always written my resumes in Pages and if you know what you're doing or take three seconds to read the screens it is fine. The resumes look fine and open exactly the same as they do in Pages. So, I'm just fine in the "Real World".

No not really... resumes are nothing; you can even whip one up with TextEdit if necessary!

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I've always written my resumes in Pages and if you know what you're doing or take three seconds to read the screens it is fine. The resumes look fine and open exactly the same as they do in Pages. So, I'm just fine in the "Real World".
Well, the fact you are writing resumes tells me you're unemployed and not part of the REAL WORLD which collaborates using MS Office.

Seriously people... another argument comparing MS Office apps to Apple's crap? Really?

stukick

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2000
I'm still running Mac Office 2011 version 14.0.0 for this very reason.

No MS update is a good MS update.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I'm still running Mac Office 2011 version 14.0.0 for this very reason.

No MS update is a good MS update.

No MS update in your case is a product that's highly flawed and very highly unpatched & vulnerable. I presume you are joking, no one can be that much of a moron, right?

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
I was on 14.2.3. Updater pulled down 14.3.1 straight away without needing 14.3.0 installed first. No jumping through any hoops here.

What the heck. I downloaded 14.3.1 but it wouldn't let me update. 14.3 wouldn't let me update either so I had to grab 14.2.3 updater first and then do them in order.

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Mine is 14.2.5. Think I will jsut skip the 14.3.1 update till later. Glad I did not update to 14.3.0. In fact, somehow, I did not get notified by MS Office at all. What gives Microsoft?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.