Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So what are you going to tell these thousands of people?

Look at how bad this is.
A few (more like many) things about that.

First, that's the rating for all versions, including early versions that lacked more features and people weren't happy about that.

Second, quite a few people are simply not happy about Apple not providing their own YouTube app anymore and simply giving bad ratings based on that (heck, quite a large part don't even realize that it was Apple that used to provide a very dated YouTube app prior to iOS 6, and now it's Google that's producing their own app for their own service).

Third, there are still some features that the app lacks, and people who want this or that often post a bad rating with what they think should be there or shouldn't be there.

Fourth, people like to hate on Google and post bad reviews simply based on that (similar to Facebook and various other large/successful companies).

Fifth, well, there's just many many more reasons, beyond something that implies that YouTube isn't working completely for everyone (or even a large number of people) and/or is just simply horrible in some big way.

Read a ton of the actual reviews to get a better idea of why some of the ratings were given, as simply looking at the rating (let alone one for all versions of an app) doesn't really provide a good representation of it, and certainly doesn't say anything about it working or not working for most people.

----------

Bottom line is that there really isn't a huge widespread issue when it comes to watching YouTube videos on iOS (6) devices. There are people who might think that's the case, or might want to make it look like that's the case, but that's simply not true.

There are certainly people with individual issues related to YouTube playback, and there are those who want some particular features that might not be there, but that's not exactly that much more drastic than it is pretty much with any other app (in particular those that are more popular and with larger userbases).

That's really all there's to it.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
And yet with all those excuses it's still not enough to make up for the amount of people that said this app was bad.

I guess all we can do is sit and wait for it to get fixed. Unless Apple comes out with their own YouTube-like service.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
And yet there's really nothing wrong with it for the vast majority.

S

syd430

Why don't you just use the browser? It's been the better experience for years now anyway. problem solved.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
And yet with all those excuses it's still not enough to make up for the amount of people that said this app was bad.

I guess all we can do is sit and wait for it to get fixed. Unless Apple comes out with their own YouTube-like service.

Works for me. Usually the people with issues complain more than the ones without.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Youtube works perfectly fine on my iPhone 5, but the Google Youtube app is pretty bad, i either just use Mctube or the mobile Youtube site where it loads extremely fast, espcially over LTE

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
video streaming on the iOS is generally suck. sometimes you have to refresh safari to play the video, or just tap the circle loading stuff several times.

manual123

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2006
Omaha NE
man I must have it good as I daily use both pre ios 6 youtube app as well as my iphone 5 goodle youtube app with min problems. Perhaps your problem is your data conection?

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
I was just thinking up myself while I was looking through the forums that I haven't seen one of "his" posts recently. Then low and behold.

OP, I think you should get a flip phone. You might not have these "issues".

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Haven't had issues on mine. I use the google app almost primarily. I can't even remember the last time I used the browser version.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Some people never experience issues with their iPhone. Like with the Apple Maps, even though it was covered extensively by the media, some people thought it was excellent.

With antenna gate, some people never experienced that.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My kids are always using youtube on my phone and my wife's - never once had a problem - works as it should.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
At least 10,000 others and counting.
10,000 people with actual YouTube video playback issues? Can't say that seems to show up anywhere. While there are many with negative feedback for Google's official YouTube app, there's really no specific correlation between that number and some sort of actual widespread YouTube video playback issue on iOS devices.

----------

Some people never experience issues with their iPhone. Like with the Apple Maps, even though it was covered extensively by the media, some people thought it was excellent.

With antenna gate, some people never experienced that.
So, using that, given how there's really not much talk at all about widespread YouTube playback issues on iOS devices, there really isn't a huge/widespread problem when it comes to watching YouTube videos on iOS devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.