Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Citing "channel checks", Jefferies analyst Peter Misek today reported in a research note that Apple appears to be preparing for a television-related product event next month. While Misek does not believe that Apple's rumored television set will be making an appearance at the event, he does suggest that Apple might begin setting the stage for the future product by launching developer tools that would presumably also allow the current Apple TV set-top box to gain third-party apps.
Channel checks indicate Apple has a product event in March that is Apple-TV related (possibly an iTV SDK introduction). We think a Sep/Oct iTV launch is being targeted.
Misek anticipates that Apple will launch its television set in the 42"-55" size range with prices starting around $1500.

Rumors about Apple's television set plans have slowed down in recent months after a flurry of reports at the end of 2012, but just today fresh rumors of a potential Apple acquisition of German television maker Loewe have brought renewed focus.

apple_tv_black.jpg
Apple has also gained regulatory approval for a tweaked Apple TV box, although the company claims that the update incorporates only minor internal changes and will be invisible to users.

With the Apple TV software being based on iOS, Steve Jobs noted at the time of the launch of the revamped box in late 2010 that an App Store for Apple TV could launch when the time is right, indicating that the company has indeed been looking at opening up the platform to third-party developers.

Update: The Loop's Jim Dalrymple has refuted Misek's claim of an event scheduled for next month.

Article Link: Apple Planning March Special Event to Introduce Developer Tools for TV?

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
55 inches is not big enough, Samsung do screens that go up to 85 inches. ;)

tkhan456

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
This analyst is smoking something if he think the TV will launch at that price point. For gods sake their monitor that's just a monitor cost $1000. There is no way their TV will be that cheap.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K

Some, not me, would argue samsung products are too big. (note 2)

----------

This should have been long ago. I hope it helps the product really take off like it should have done earlier.

jontech

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2010
Hawaii

They need a better interface though. Apple will release a new TV which will revolutionize the market and 3 months later Samsung will debut their new TV set

Stuipdboy1000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
I could see Apple going back to old ways and introducing a developer preview of iOS in the spring. It would make sense if the rumoured iPhone 5S is coming in the summer and they want a polished version of iOS to go with it. A SDK for the Apple TV could possibly be one of the new features in iOS 7.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Apps for Apple TV makes a lot of sense.

I'm not sure what an iTV would bring to the table - and at a particular price point that would be compelling.

No doubt these pundits are now resurfacing rumours given Intel's most recent announcement.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Apple will launch its television set in the 42"-55" size range with prices starting around $1500.
Next time put this revelation at the top of the article so I can save time by skipping the rest.

$1500? What is it... a 3D hologram generator? :eek:

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC
This analyst is smoking something if he think the TV will launch at that price point. For gods sake their monitor that's just a monitor cost $1000. There is no way their TV will be that cheap.

the thing is, the monitor is more than 1080P. Dell's equivalent monitor is $800 with the same panel but without the ports. Other manufacturers that have 27" monitors with the same resolution are the same price or more (NEC, Samsung), whereas their 1080P TVs are less. If Apple makes a 1080P tv it could very well be the same price as or less than their thunderbolt display. If they make a 4K tv though, it will definitely cost a small fortune.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
It appears the Apple TV update is a die shrink or minor update, so may be a silent update. At some point this list will have posts about which vendors are shipping the newer units. I will probably buy a couple then. I have been using Roku and near as I can tell AppleTV will support both Hulu+ and Netflix, negating the need for a second box.

The Roku has been an interesting sociological experiment as folks discover the sheer variety of things it lets you watch "for free", and the reaction when they realize there is essentially no live TV at all.

"You mean we can't watch the Superbowl?!?" "We'll watch it over the internet off the computer." "Oh, well then."

I understand Intel is going to add Live TV so I would presume at the same time or so Apple TV will as well.

Rocketman

Last edited:

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
I saw the start of the title of this thread on the front page and couldn't be more disappointed when I saw the rest :(

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada

Their TV would probably be 1080p though, less than the Thunderbolt Display's 2640x1440, and be sold in much larger volume.

27" 2640x1440 IPS panels are produced in low yields, that's why any monitor using one is around $999, even non-Apple ones.

I don't think the TBD's pricing is representative of anything, it's kind of a niche product with low sales and a narrow target.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Next month is definitely only refreshed Apple TV with A5X ...

I'm thinking this (as in developer tools. The Apple TV will be silent update.), plus a preview of 10.9, maybe a showing of iOS 7, possibly even the iWatch announced in March.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.