Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chazwatson

macrumors member
May 20, 2009
San Diego, CA US
Misek is a dumbass. Apparently he might have some supply chain visibility (and really, even my grandmother does at this point) but not enough smarts or inside knowledge to interpret it. He even admits to being wrong about the cheaper, larger phone.

These analysts are acting like wannabe investigative journalists, except they jump to horribly wrong conclusions based on incomplete facts.

New app processor? iOS needs to better compete against Samsung? WTF does this crap even mean?

This guy is a train wreck and clearly everyone is unwilling to look away.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
NEWS JUST IN!
There is a rumor that there is a new rumor out, which may or may not be a rumor. It probably is just a rumor. After all, rumor has it, that we pulled this rumor straight out of our poopular canal.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
If true, I think that mid-2014 is a little late to introduce a revamped iOS. Android and other mobile operating systems are going to start to trounce iOS pretty badly starting later this year.

The Wedge

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2009
"For the first time ever we've increased the size of the display. By making the screen taller, but NOT WIDER, you can still comfortably use it with one hand." - Jony Ive

"It is really easy to make a new product that is bigger, everyone does that, that's not the challenge, the challenge is to make it better, AND SMALLER". - Phil Schiller

yea well next they'll be saying, "through observations we have realized that many people use their phones with two hands and we have decided to make a phone more comfortable for them. We have also improved iOS to accomodate one handed use with a bigger screen."

The current screen size is stupid. a taller screen. That's why I still have a 4s and will keep it until a proper larger screen and OS is implemented.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
This is slightly off-topic but relates to Misek's prediction of a new iPad mini coming in the fall. Everyone presumes that the iPad mini 2 will have a retina display, but my question is this: how are they gonna cram a retina display in that tiny form factor without adding a lot of bulk for battery and backlight? They still haven't pulled it off even in the larger iPad, which gained a considerable amount of bulk thanks to retina.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
NEWS JUST IN!
There is a rumor that there is a new rumor out, which may or may not be a rumor. It probably is just a rumor. After all, rumor has it, that we pulled this rumor straight out of our poopular canal.

Bit of a paradox to mock the concept of rumors on a site who's explicit reason for existence is to explore Apple rumors. If you don't like them why do you waste time coming to the site?

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
If true, I think that mid-2014 is a little late to introduce a revamped iOS. Android and other mobile operating systems are going to start to trounce iOS pretty badly starting later this year.

There will surely be an update to iOS that will come alongside the 5S.

dazza611

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
this is slightly off-topic but relates to misek's prediction of a new ipad mini coming in the fall. Everyone presumes that the ipad mini 2 will have a retina display, but my question is this: How are they gonna cram a retina display in that tiny form factor without adding a lot of bulk for battery and backlight? They still haven't pulled it off even in the larger ipad, which gained a considerable amount of bulk thanks to retina.

igzo

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
I can't understand why they would jump to 4.8"
4 generations on 3.5"
and only two on 4" that would be very disappointing... :(
Hope devs will keep on developing for 4" then

I think it has been figured out mathematically based on resolution and PPI that they would go 4.8", to make it easier for developers than using something in between. (same resolution but lower PPI, just to have larger hit targets but no need to redevelop most kinds of apps)

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
iphone 4 2010 (redesign)
iphone 4s 2011
iphone 5 2012 (redesign)
iphone 5s 2013
iphone 6 2014 (redesign)

Wasn't this obvious?

In the past, yes. Not now. A minor upgrade after a year and a new iPhone (maybe) after 2 year? Right now it's like a suicide.

They have already accelerated launching the 4th generation iPad after six months.

SILen(e

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
That man has NO clue.

A 4.8 inch display with the resolution of the iPhone 5 would have a DPI of 271 - while the Retina iPad has a DPI of 264 DPI.

How would that make sense to go 4.8 inches and create a new display when instead you could re-use the display of the iPad 4 (or more likely the improved/thinner iPad 5 display)?

When John Gruber and Marco Arment are argumenting about larger displays, they do that by stating information about how a larger display could be made possible in a way thats good for developers and Apple's supply chain.

Thats why the post by Marco Arment about an iPhone Plus AS AN ADDITIONAL SIZE (not replacing the 4" size, so that the customer can choose between iPhone 6 4" and iPhone Plus) with a display size of 4.94" is much more believable than the information by Misek.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
The headline is written like it's a surprise?

Apple ALWAYS use to have yearly releases. iPhone 5S this year.

:confused:

dazza611

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
iPhone 5S 1080p Retina+, 13MP iSight, 2MP FaceTime, Quad Core, NFC and 128GB Flash.....happy days!!!

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
I've long been tired of the "Apple better do X quickly or they'll miss the opportunity forever." (see: blu-ray, 3G for the iPhone, etc.)

So I won't go so far as to say, "THEY NEED A BIGGER SCREEN OR THE COMPANY WILL DIE."

But they need to do something. iOS is getting desperately long-in-tooth. Aside from a slightly longer screen, very little has changed about the hardware in 3+ years now. I'm not counting them out, but I starting to get a little antsy.

I'm long tired of the argument that Apple has everything just perfect and doesn't need to add 'flashy' new features. This is not an excuse for allowing the likes of Samsung to school you on innovation.

:rolleyes:

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
The headline is written like it's a surprise?

Apple ALWAYS use to have yearly releases. iPhone 5S this year.

:confused:

This is how analysts "predict" Apple stuff.

Step 1. "Apple is gonna do something crazy and unusual this year, releasing seven different iPad models, all within a few months, according to our supply chain sources!!!"

Step 2. "Hang on, it looks as though, due to manufacturing problems, they'll be sticking to the completely predictable release schedule they've used every year."

Each of these steps is reported as a major news item, as though your grandma couldn't have predicted Apple's release schedule a year in advance.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
I called mid 2014 literally ages ago!

2013 is far too soon for a larger phone. 2014 gives Ive well over a year to change up iOS for the bigger screen and allows them to better program it to run better on more cores as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.