Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
.... just from renenue alone its iTune store makes more money then most phone manufactures....
McDonald's fast food makes more money than iTune store.

You are comparing apple to orange, iTune and cell phone are different business sector.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Anyone who has a "brand appreciation" for Samsung needs to have their heads examined... There is nothing about Samsung's "brand" that can be appreciated other than they are good at copying what others invent.

I like that my Samsung smartphone matches my microwave, my refrigerator, and my washer/dryer. ;)

Google takes American software ingenuity, gives it away for free to the Koreans, who use it to dominate the hardware market, pumping bajillions into the Korean economy at the expense of the Americans.

Thanks Google. Well played.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
I like that my Samsung smartphone matches my microwave, my refrigerator, and my washer/dryer. ;)

Google takes American software ingenuity, gives it away for free to the Koreans, who use it to dominate the hardware market, pumping bajillions into the Korean economy at the expense of the Americans.

I like your perseverance in posting this text again, again and again trying to make some point

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012

Gives it away for free to the Koreans??

Android is linux-based, open source. I don't think that only American worked on Linux development.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
I really don't think Apple is unaware of Androids competition. Even Tim Cook acknowledged there are some areas where Apple needs to improve. Overall I am not worried. This company has 100 billion dollars in the bank. I doubt they are not investing in R&D heavily. I believe the reason Tim Cook booted Scott Forestall was because he was not moving IOS in the right direction. Jonathan Ive a good direction.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
The market share is falling not because people are switching from iOS to Android, or choosing Android over iOS for their first phone, it's because people are upgrading their feature phones, walking into their service providers store, and getting what they think is the most bang for the buck which equals a LARGE phone for cheap (they don't care about what OS is on it, or if their money is going to America or Korea).
You are so uninformed. Larger Samsung smart phones are not cheap. Btw, a part of your Apple device money goes also to asia, or do you think the asian companies which work for Apple do not earn the money!?

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
McDonald's fast food makes more money than iTune store.

You are comparing apple to orange, iTune and cell phone are different business sector.

I still see it as apple-apple or orange-orange. You still have to use all the iOS devices which is tied through the iTunes/iTunes store.

Without the Apps, music, video, books and content, very little incentive to get an iPhone.

The iTunes store does not make food.

Last edited:

Renzatic

Suspended
I don't get these type of conversations. It's like talking about how much market share Ferrari has -- it doesn't make sense.

Apple is like Ferrari.

Oh no. Now that Apple's falling a little behind on market share, we're gonna have to start putting up with all the "Apple is expensive car X and competitors are cheap car Y" arguments again.

This is as opposed to 2 years ago when Apple was de facto smartphone market leader, and everyone was going around saying "the consumers have spoken with their wallets! They don't want crap like Android"!

----------

Okay okay, I take back my Ferrari comment.

Oh. Didn't read this til just now. Alright. You're forgiven.

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
I still see it as apple-apple or orange-orange. You still have to use all the iOS devices which is tied through the iTunes/iTunes store.

Without the Apps, music, video, books and content, very little incentive to get an iPhone.

The iTunes store does not make food.

Compared Google Play to iTune store is more appropriate.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Well, this is it.

Apple is clearly dying.

I mean, they lost about 3% of the smartphone market. They're only providing 1 out of every 5 smartphones out there.

How can they sustain themselves?

THE HORROR!!!

Well do you actually think they are going to expand selling the same tired old design over and over? Even Blackberry was once on top and they too refused to change...

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
again false.

apple has cheaper phones at every price level starting at free just like android. All running the same ios.

Android and samsung is innovating at full speed and killing apple in those commercials. The only big thing came out of the iphone was a slighter bigger screen last year, their other big feature the map was a disaster and had a negative impact.

Just look at those commercials, when iphone first came it was a showstopper, now the best they can do is touting a "do not disturb" button and how the caller can hear your voice...during a phone call.

It's laughable.

Meanwhile samsung is killing it with their commercials touting nfs transfers, stylus doing all sorts of cool stuff, etc...

Apple stopped innovating on their iphone, or rather tried and failed. That's fact.

Many people including myself like iphone because it's simple and works out of box, but that will only carry you so far until a tipping point is reached where the features and innovations on the competitor is just too much to resist.

I said new phones. An iPhone 4/4s/3g is old tech, like getting the a 2010 Porshe...still a Porshe, but the 2013 Ferrari might have a few more features.

Nfs transfers, and the old stylus are things that samsung is offering on it's latest phones. Most of the android numbers are coming from the 'other' phones presented as smart phones.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Compared Google Play to iTune store is more appropriate.

Well, if your going to compare a phone operating system installed on hundreds or thousands of phone models by different manufactures to a few iPhone models, then its appropriate.

rodavilla

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2011
Samsung's market share went from 19.6% to 22.7%, an 16% increase.
Apple's market share went from 7.4% to 9.2%, an 24% increase.
So Apple is increasing faster than Samsung. I would be interested in knowing what the profit is that each company makes off of each market share percentage. That would be of value.

regarding the OS comparisons:
Android OS is given away free to any and all. Apple makes billions off it's OS. So the comparison is of no value. Google makes money on searches/advertisements. I would be interested in knowing who makes the most profits off their OS. That would be of value.

lobbyist

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2008
Montreal, QC
This is a bit off-topic, but I find it interesting that non-Samsung, non-Nokia, Non-Apple, non-LG, non-Sony, non-Motorola, etc. phones make up for 33% of worldwide mobile phone sales.

What other phone brands are there out there?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Well do you actually think they are going to expand selling the same tired old design over and over? Even Blackberry was once on top and they too refused to change...

Actually, they aren't selling fewer devices.

The market is just increasing at a faster pace than their sales are. >_>;

mtek

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2012
Samsung is making great and innovative products at a faster pace than Apple - its market share reflects just that.
I'm a big Apple fan and I've recently bought a Note 2 as my daily-driver and I'm loving it! It's a real shame that Apple offers no such product or I'd be buying it. Note 2 has sold more than 30 million units in a a few months so it's not a niche thing...

Wake-up Apple or Sammy will burst your bubble...

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
Well, if your going to compare a phone operating system installed on hundreds or thousands of phone models by different manufactures to a few iPhone models, then its appropriate.
You compared iTune on-line store to phone manufacturing business.
I'm speechless, you win.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.