Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Last edited:

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
Processing power?

Does anyone know if the second core in the Apple TV 3,2 is physically disabled or if it is disabled in software and can be turned on later?

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
As long as I can buy a set top box we're good. No way I would buy an apple Tv given apple's love for ditching old model upgrades.

cfc

macrumors 68030
May 27, 2011
...and write a ton of fairly sophisticated software...

...and get the sources that feed the video into that HDMI port to add some data packets to help the new :apple:TV recognize what's on, what's available, etc...

...etc.

None of that is necessary for what I mentioned. Superimposing tickers, weather, messages etc doesn't require any knowledge of what is on (although it would be nice to only superimpose the tickers when you know a news channel is on).

Removing flashing lights is simple image processing that also doesn't need to know what's on.

And even facial recognition doesn't need to know what's being shown, although it would probably help to narrow down the possibilities.

iOS has included a face detection API for a while, and that makes it trivial to pick out faces, so I'm sure that facial recognition isn't far away. Apple has the technology on the desktop already in iPhoto etc, so it can't be too difficult to port to iOS when the processors catch up, which won't be long the way things are going. I'm sure that it won't be perfect to begin with but will improve with time and processing power. And if they combine it with a voice recognition API then that would probably help.

So in theory none of these things require anything from the content providers beyond the permission to superimpose stuff on their video. Although this permission is the most likely sticking point!

NOV

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2004
The Netherlands
Pity they couldn't bring it sooner to the market. Now I'm stuck the next 8 years with a Samsung TV, with this mess called "Smart TV". At least they could have slammed a screen around the Apple TV and brought that to the market.

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Imagine if you could install games on there.
It could become one of the most popular gaming platforms.
xBox 360 sold about 89 million units and it cost M$ $11 Billion to do it.
I don't think there is enough native storage on the Apple TV though. You wouldn't want to stream a game down all the time either. So maybe there is only room for small games.

What if they used the TimeCapsule or your Time Machine compatible NAS for storage. That could be cool. They would also sell a lot more Time Capsules. :)

Notice how they just pushed out bluetooth keyboard support. The possibilities...

Rocketman

macrumors 603
So in theory none of these things require anything from the content providers beyond the permission to superimpose stuff on their video. Although this permission is the most likely sticking point!
If AppleTV, display version puts the TV image in a frame and has a border for other feeds and status a wide range of things becomes easy. If it supports 4K, it could have 4x 1080p or 2x1080p and a large area for "support content".

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
It would be cool if the TV Set has a little slot on the back where you can slide in an ATV.
All the ports are on the back, so I guess it could just click into place. Ok there would be no way to access the infra red, but that can be sent down the HDMI lead anyway, so the TV could have that on the front.

I'd be much happier paying top dollar for a TV knowing that next year I can pay $99 and slot in a new ATV

Why not just buy an ATV and plug it into an existing tv? The 'slot' concept makes no sense.

11thIndian

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
I can't see an event just to show new developer tools. That's what WWDC is for.

Something else will be shown. If there is an event.

Let's not be too quick to forget that the first 3 iOS software updates had their own events that preceded WWDC- and it was JUST an iOS preview.

With WWDCs keynotes dominated by OSX and iOS previews, and whatever hardware gets released, perhaps their thinking is that they need a special event for an entirely new platform; they just can't squeeze it all in to the WWDC presentation in June. And since presumably the existing hardware is ready for apps (channels), then having the preview early won't impact sales of any future product.

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
This analyst is smoking something if he think the TV will launch at that price point. For gods sake their monitor that's just a monitor cost $1000. There is no way their TV will be that cheap.

Well, possibly the TV is just a monitor with 99$ worth of hardware. Bigger, yes, but also lower resolution than the TB display.

I can't see an event just to show new developer tools. That's what WWDC is for.

Something else will be shown. If there is an event.

iOS 2, 3 and 4 was shown and released as beta in spring in dedicated events. This will be especially likely, if the iPhone 5S indeed goes back to a June schedule.

Pity they couldn't bring it sooner to the market. Now I'm stuck the next 8 years with a Samsung TV, with this mess called "Smart TV". At least they could have slammed a screen around the Apple TV and brought that to the market.

Don't expect a modern TV to last that long. :( And I'm not sure if I'd want to be stuck with a 1st gen Apple TV for 8 years, either. I can't see iOS 15 still supporting it. And long term support is probably THE problem to be solved in the TV industry with the advent of smart TVs (though people haven't realized).

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
As long as I can buy a set top box we're good. No way I would buy an apple Tv given apple's love for ditching old model upgrades.

You say that as if Apple disables your device and you can't use it anymore. You have all the features in the device from the day you bought it. People have this expectation now they should get ALL the upgrades for free on their 2 year old device, it's ridiculous.

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
With the BT Keyboard feature enabled; all we need is Safari on the Apple TV now for a big screen web browsing experience. :apple:

The Wedge

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2009
it would be a real screwjob if the apple television was open to the appstore but the current aTV is not. But that sounds like something apple would actually do.

raweden

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2012
Don't constrain your thinking to "apps" in the iPhone / iPad sense.

Think of apps as interactive TV channels. Each content provider / network would have an app that can be purchased a-la-carte or be free with a subscription model, that lives on your Apple TV homescreen and is akin to selecting a channel on your live TV (in fact many would have a 'live' mode as well as a stored content / catchup mode). Apple would force them to "hook" their content into a centralised search / guide system so that you could search all past (catch-up) and present / future (live-streamed) programmes in one centralised, seamless, Apple-designed interface and access it from there (rather than through the app).

This is one of the more likely scenarios, it would also make sense that they are also releasing their SDK to allow game developer to deploy their games upon the big screen, using a iPhone or iPad as the hand control. Similar to how Real Racing 2 utilize AirPlay, using the hardware on the Apple TV to run the graphics keeping the game in real time sync with bonjour and using the 8GB flash drive on the Apple TV to temporary cache resources.

My guess is that we will se more broadcasting and game apps, along with a TV optimized version of Mobile safari.

Khakionion

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
Unless I'm missing something, this article has no source link, or even mention of where Peter Misek actually said this stuff.

Like others in this thread, I'm trying to find where there's any indication of the existence of an SDK. You/Misek make this conclusion with zero cited evidence.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Don't constrain your thinking to "apps" in the iPhone / iPad sense.

Think of apps as interactive TV channels. Each content provider / network would have an app that can be purchased a-la-carte or be free with a subscription model, that lives on your Apple TV homescreen and is akin to selecting a channel on your live TV (in fact many would have a 'live' mode as well as a stored content / catchup mode). Apple would force them to "hook" their content into a centralised search / guide system so that you could search all past (catch-up) and present / future (live-streamed) programmes in one centralised, seamless, Apple-designed interface and access it from there (rather than through the app).

Not constrained...just not sure.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I'm thinking this (as in developer tools. The Apple TV will be silent update.), plus a preview of 10.9, maybe a showing of iOS 7, possibly even the iWatch announced in March.

I'm curious as to which developer tools could be revealed without basically giving away the fact that are designing a full TV.

I agree 10.9 preview, but don't know about iOS 7 (though I would LOVE that).

I think it's too early for the iWatch, but who knows.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Unless I'm missing something, this article has no source link, or even mention of where Peter Misek actually said this stuff.

Like others in this thread, I'm trying to find where there's any indication of the existence of an SDK. You/Misek make this conclusion with zero cited evidence.

He issued a research report this morning. It's not publicly available in full, which is why we have no source link. He provided no additional detail beyond what we quoted.

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
Some, not me, would argue samsung products are too big. (note 2)

----------

This should have been long ago. I hope it helps the product really take off like it should have done earlier.

love the screen size on my note ii. all it needs is ios on it. it fits in my pocket and i can use it with one hand! i love my 70 inch tv as well. 55 is too small

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Hey Peter, AAPL is basically flat so far today so your throwing darts at the wall isn't doing anything to the stock.

smkmn13

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2006
iDVR?

I've always thought they should get into the DVR business, a la Tivo. Make an appleTV with a Cablecard slot, so that live TV is still an option.

I understand all the people that want to cut the cable, say "cablecard suxxxx" and just use netflix/hulu plus/etc, and that might be a viable option for the more technology-inclined. But the vast majority of people (in the US at least) like their cable tv the way it is -- turn it on, watch something -- or pull something that you've already recorded. Imagine integrating that with iTunes store? Fantastic.

I'm sure iDVR could be to Tivo what the iPod was to whatever archos mp3 jukebox crap was around just before the iPod launched -- kill the competition not necessarily with features but with tremendously well executed software and attractive hardware.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
iTV with retina display for around 55"
So will have something like 3840*2160 pixels and with this will upgrade the imac displays too, so maybe in 2014 will have this !

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
I can see that coming sooner or later but probably premium priced for the cable-cutter benefit. In other words, one might currently think about the HBO bundle at around $10-$15/month and some will then throw out that they would pay about $25/month for HBO GO alone (if they didn't have to have a cable subscription too). But I imagine the actual price would be something like $40-$50/month for HBO GO alone, looking at the price of premium adult channels as a bit of a pricing guide.

So many of us dream of al-a-carte but don't want to pay what the dream would likely cost. We imagine it's something like 50 cents per channel but it wouldn't be. Instead it would involve pricing to keep the existing players making at least what they are making now PLUS let Apple squeeze into the chain and take an additional amount. And if we dream of commercial-free, then we are killing the other people's money stream that helps make television cost what it does now, meaning if our dream is of commercial-free al-a-carte, we have to make up for the loss of that subsidy too (and it's not even close to what anyone would call "cheap" in and of itself).

Al-a-carte seems like a wonderful goal where we somehow pay a lot less than we pay now, Apple gets to squeeze in and make a big cut and everything like quality and breadth & depth of new programming just magically continues to flow. But if there is ever a solution where the consumer masses pay a lot less than they pay now, somebody else in the chain takes a big hit... some quality of programming and/or new show creation and/or variety of programming is likely to plunge. That's great if the crowd that votes for the survivors happens to align with one's own tastes... not so great if your favorite programming is not mainstream appealing.

This, this and more this!!!!!

Unlike the ailing music industry, the TV industry is a whole different animal. The networks and cable/satellite industry offset a lot of the cost by subidizing costs with ads and spreading channel costs across the spectrum.

People somehow think if they get channels a la carte, they would pay a fraction of what they do today. You're right on the money that the cost would likely remain the same and the options would go down. And as networks would chase the biggest dollars, expect a lot of shows appealing to the lowest common denominator.

You also have to think the cable and satellite providers are going to viciously defend their turf. By the time you add in Apple's cut, I just don't see how this is viable for the masses. For most people TV entertainment costs are an either/or. Until Apple TV is going to be a realistic option to have someone cut the cord from cable/satellite, the market of people who are willing to spend 'extra' for the same channels is going to be limited.

And there is still the issue of first run network content and live major sports, specifically the NFL, college football and playoff content of all sports. Those are the most valuable content for every network....and the cable/satellite companies pay too much for them to give them up without a huge fight...and Apple market share is too low for their consumer base to make up the difference.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
You say that as if Apple disables your device and you can't use it anymore. You have all the features in the device from the day you bought it. People have this expectation now they should get ALL the upgrades for free on their 2 year old device, it's ridiculous.

I like having new features and improvements. It's one thing to get rid of a $100 device, a TV is a $1000 purchase, and from Apple likely a $1500 purchase

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.