Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I don't understand why it would Apple so long to release it. I understand they don't have the luxury of making the screens and such, like Samsung, but they still have good purchasing power with OEMs these days, since they can buy in large quantities. How hard is it to obtain a larger screen and mass produce it?

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
It does make sense to me to release both a 4" iPhone 5S and 4.8" iPhone plus (or whatever) this year. That way, assuming Apple keeps its biennial redesign strategy, every year they have one new design.

2013 - same form factor iPhone 5S, new form factor iPhone plus
2014 - new form factor iPhone 6, same form factor iPhone plus-S (yeah I know)
2015 - etc

Meanwhile, I assume the low-cost iPhone would see fewer redesigns to keep costs down.

We'll see.

Yojimbo007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Honest/Realistic opinion of mine is that the screen size will stay the same. Here is why. First off, they just introduced a new screen size and most developers are not yet on board with it (heck there are non-retina apps in the app store to this day). 2nd, they would need to increase the pixel count to keep that all important "retina" display and the only way to do it is if they double the pixels. 3rd, they will give up their edge as the only company that makes high end phones with one hand usability. Plus, if they do keep the same screen size, they can actually reduce the size of the phone (new/upcoming screen tech will allow smaller side bezels) without decreasing the screen size and improve the one hand usability. The iPhone 5 is 58.6mm wide and that could be reduced/improved to be under 55mm which would go a long way in one handed usability. Also, since iPad 5 is pretty much confirmed to be smaller in "ALL 3" dimensions, iPhone 6 will probably follow the same trend. Lets be honest, it is a bit more difficult to get to that sleep/wake button COMFORTABLY, and it is even more difficult to reach the notification bar with your thumb (I'm 5'11 with average or slightly bigger hands). BTW, for anyone worried about battery life, a quick google search about A53 ARM architecture and 20nm processors will show you that in 2014 all of our battery woes will be over.

It is not about substituting i5 ..it is about expanding the line to 3 sizes... 3.5,4, 4.x...
They need to compete in larger size market.. The reality is there is huge demand there.. Not for everybody... But enough people like it... Including me!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Bit of a paradox to mock the concept of rumors on a site who's explicit reason for existence is to explore Apple rumors. If you don't like them why do you waste time coming to the site?
There's a difference between rumors and Wall Street analyst speculation. I don't see anything in this report that's based on inside information or alleged leaks. It's just an analyst guessing.

Yojimbo007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
I don't understand why it would Apple so long to release it. I understand they don't have the luxury of making the screens and such, like Samsung, but they still have good purchasing power with OEMs these days, since they can buy in large quantities. How hard is it to obtain a larger screen and mass produce it?

Lets see.. Apple can make retina for laptops 13/15inch
They can make retina for ipad 9.7 inch
They cam make retina for iphone 5 4 inch
They can make retina for iphone 4s 3.5 inch

But suddenly when it comes to 4.8 inch. They have a problem.... Lol

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
With rumors come laughter & humor (sometimes). This is one of those delightful moments.

No need to be serious.

If true Apple will be woefully behind, if false Apple will delight millions like myself that appreciate the fine work Apple is capable of doing.

Colinwoods84

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2010
I want the same size at the galaxy note 2. I don't care about using two hands. I use two hands on this phone anyway.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I won't argue with your statistics. However, the version of Android and iOS that matters is the one that is available when users decide to upgrade. 13.6% of all Android devices is the minority, but it represents the majority of new handsets available in stores and that will increase in the next few months. It's usually the latest Android OS that is competing with the latest version of iOS when its upgrade time.

The other thing to consider is - if the OS (whether it's iOS or Android) does everything a user wants and needs - then upgrading is less important.

So just because X% are using an older OS doesn't make it a bad OS. Or that they are sacrificing anything.

I buy (and many do) a device that does what I want it to today - not what it can promise in the future. Just like when I bought my iPad. I didn't buy it based on what features would come with a new OS, etc - but what it had at the time I bought it.

SILen(e

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
I read both Gruber's and Marco's posts and they both make very good points. My only concern is releasing a 264ppi 4.94" phone doesn't look too good for Apple when most competing Android devices will have 5" 1080p 440ppi screens.

There's no GPU to drive games at that resolution...

And remember that 330 DPI so high, that anythinger higher will have dimnished returns, because you won't notice a real difference.

The Retina iPad DPI is okay, it's about the same as in the Galaxy Note 2, but will be perceived slightly better, due to the "It's not called PenTile but it's not a real RGB-Matrix" display in the Galaxy Note 2 and the real RGB matrix in the iPad display.

Remember that the PPI for Retina is dependent on the distance of the item from the eye. So this 271 wouldn't be an issue if the distance of use for the device is basically the same as the iPad, rather than the iPhone (which is assumed to be held about 6 inches closer than the iPad thus the higher PPI needed)

This is not what is perceived as Retina, but what DPI-displays Apple's suppliers are manufacturing.

If they are manufacturing lots of squaremeters of displays with 264 DPI (now without IGZO, in the iPad 5 possibly with IGZO) there's absolutely no sense in ordering additional displays with IGZO and 272 DPI.

If they followed a way like that, the iPad Mini wouldn't have exactly doubled the DPI of the iPhone 1-3GS displays

I won't argue with your statistics. However, the version of Android and iOS that matters is the one that is available when users decide to upgrade. 13.6% of all Android devices is the minority, but it represents the majority of new handsets available in stores and that will increase in the next few months. It's usually the latest Android OS that is competing with the latest version of iOS when its upgrade time.

If you go out and buy a new Android device, you'll be unable to get one with Android 4.2.

Thats only available only on Nexus devices - the Nexus 7 and 10 are tablets (and their sales are unexpectedly low, considering they are so cheap) and the Nexus 4 is a loss leader product, sold cheap but in very low numbers (They reached a million produced devices a few days ago).

The Android version running on the Galaxy devices is 4 months old and there's not yet an update to 4.2 on the horizon.

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
It is not about substituting i5 ..it is about expanding the line to 3 sizes... 3.5,4, 4.x...
They need to compete in larger size market.. The reality is there is huge demand there.. Not for everybody... But enough people like it... Including me!

I was just being realistic, lol, if you ask me, I would like a phone inside the mac mini :D

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Less concerned about screen sizes and more so about an iOs refresh. iOs and OSX are both getting long in the tooth and need a major refresh. I also find OSX getting more glitchy and less stable.

If it wasn't for Jonny Ive making outstanding hardware I may not have stuck with apple and bought my recent MBPR.

chadley_chad

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Nottingham, UK
All that money and they can't even create an 'innovative' product until next year ... Samsung must be laughing all the way to the bank!

Personally, if I were Apple I'd start some rumours about a new product soon, because true or not, if they don't, when the galaxy S4 comes out, they're ****ked!!!!!

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Before we totally flame the guy, maybe he had some sources. These guys kind of like their reputations. For those that want a bigger screen ( and I am one of them, since I liked the screen on the GS3 ) this is not good news. I kind of believe his time line. If a 5 inch Iphone is coming this year we would have had the leaks. So far there is virtually nothing. The ka-ka is going to hit the fan when the HTC One comes out, then the GS4. We can survive the HTC One, but the GS4 is going to be a world class phone and leave us in the dust. I really think we are going down the tube this year. Apple is trying to hit a home run with technology that is not ready for mass production in 2013.

M

Mr.damien

"- Revamped OS. We think Apple plans to re-architect iOS to utilize more cores and better compete with Samsung. "

They lost all credibility (if any) at this line. iOS is ultra optimized for multi core. GCD just rocks.

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK
I've long been tired of the "Apple better do X quickly or they'll miss the opportunity forever." (see: blu-ray, 3G for the iPhone, etc.)

So I won't go so far as to say, "THEY NEED A BIGGER SCREEN OR THE COMPANY WILL DIE."

But they need to do something. iOS is getting desperately long-in-tooth. Aside from a slightly longer screen, very little has changed about the hardware in 3+ years now. I'm not counting them out, but I starting to get a little antsy.

This is how technology works. You've been fooled by the release of iPhone and iPad in quick succession.

We may not see another such ground-breaking release for ten years or more.

SILen(e

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
All that money and they can't even create an 'innovative' product until next year ... Samsung must be laughing all the way to the bank!

Personally, if I were Apple I'd start some rumours about a new product soon, because true or not, if they don't, when the galaxy S4 comes out, they're ****ked!!!!!

"Laughing all the way to the bank" might be a bad choice of words, because even though media spins it like Apple is going bankrupt soon, they just had an awesome quarter that surpassed every company that is not selling OIL!

And what kind of innovative product do you mean?

How is the Galaxy S 3 an innovative procut?

A larger display does not make a product innovative, more CPU cores don't make a product innovative (unless the product IS a CPU and the cores can be put to use by the OS).

Using a stylus might be seen as innovative - but then you remember that using styli had been the norm until the iPhone made them obsolete, so you can't see using a stylus as innovative, only as a kind of "improving older stuff".

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
There's a difference between rumors and Wall Street analyst speculation. I don't see anything in this report that's based on inside information or alleged leaks. It's just an analyst guessing.

What is the difference? Some of the biggest and best Mac rumors have come from no-namers. When Mac Rumors first started there were no Wall Street anaylsts because the stock was so low and off the radar no firm cared to follow the stock. Also, many, and I mean many, a Wall Street analyst have been way off the mark, so there's that.

At any rate the site is Mac Rumors not Mac Rumors on Wall Street, so I think your distinction might apply in your mind, but not the site's editors.

pocketdoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2008
I don't understand the opposition to a larger iPhone screen. There is almost an elitism attitude with some people.

I want a larger screen and I suspect that many others do as well. Look at the sales of the Android phones with that screen size. Perhaps if Apple made a larger screen, people would migrate from Android.

If you don't like something, don't buy it. I do think it should be an option. Apple needs to broaden its selections.

Just my opinion...

SILen(e

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
If you don't like something, don't buy it. I do think it should be an option. Apple needs to broaden its selections.

Just my opinion...

But Android isn't about options.

If you want a high end device, you won't find one with a screen smaller than 4.7".

4.3 or 4.0" displays are only available in devices like the Galaxy S 3 Mini, which has absolutely nothing in common with the SGS 3 except the look.

Apple might introduce an iPhone Plus with a 4.94 inch display (not 4.8" as stated by this analyst) - but in addition to the regular iPhone, not as a replacement.

Then people can really choose between two devices with the same performance, not a Big = Good, Small = Slow-situation.

And unlike Samsung, Apple won't increase the display size every 9 months to make a device look "better" on the spec sheets.

Why was it necessary for Samsung to use a 4.8 inch display in the SGS 3 instead of the 4.7" display in the Galaxy Nexus?

Because they always wanted to use a 4.8" display and unfortunately that wasn't available when they built the Galaxy Nexus?

I don't buy that story.

Or the Galaxy Note... 5.3", 5.5"...oh, the next one will have 6" display.

2015's Android smartphones will have 6" displays and phablets... 8"

Display sizes on Android phones are like the tailfins on cars in the 1950s, they are increased because companies want to trump some other company, not because 0.2" larger displays are a benefit to the customer.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
Makes sense I mean apple is going to go with their S upgrade for this time and then the complete redesign would come with the next generation. Every other gen is hardware focus( iphone 5) and the 5s would be software focus.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
There's no GPU to drive games at that resolution...

And remember that 330 DPI so high, that anythinger higher will have dimnished returns, because you won't notice a real difference.

The Retina iPad DPI is okay, it's about the same as in the Galaxy Note 2, but will be perceived slightly better, due to the "It's not called PenTile but it's not a real RGB-Matrix" display in the Galaxy Note 2 and the real RGB matrix in the iPad display.

This is not what is perceived as Retina, but what DPI-displays Apple's suppliers are manufacturing.

If they are manufacturing lots of squaremeters of displays with 264 DPI (now without IGZO, in the iPad 5 possibly with IGZO) there's absolutely no sense in ordering additional displays with IGZO and 272 DPI.

If they followed a way like that, the iPad Mini wouldn't have exactly doubled the DPI of the iPhone 1-3GS displays

If you go out and buy a new Android device, you'll be unable to get one with Android 4.2.

Thats only available only on Nexus devices - the Nexus 7 and 10 are tablets (and their sales are unexpectedly low, considering they are so cheap) and the Nexus 4 is a loss leader product, sold cheap but in very low numbers (They reached a million produced devices a few days ago).

The Android version running on the Galaxy devices is 4 months old and there's not yet an update to 4.2 on the horizon.

"There's no GPU to drive games at that resolution..."

Apple's A6X will drive games at that resolution no problem. But it isn't just about games, it's also marketing perception. If Apple goes to 264ppi on a supposed large-screen iPhone, it'll be perceived as going backwards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.