Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aqueous

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
DVD's I have all figured out, they work great! But, I cannot get a BluRay rip to play on my ATV1 via XBMC like my DVD rips. The show a still frame for 15 seconds then jump to another still frame and on and on, audio sounds fine. I am using the same exact settings in Handbrake for both encodes.

Can someone please help me figure this out?

Settings:
MP4
Large file size
H.264 (x264)
FPS "Same as Source"
Variable Framerate
Ave Bitrate: 1800
2 Pass Encoding

Aqueous

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Have you tried using the AppleTV preset? What picture settings are you using? In particular size

720x480
Anomorphic "loose"
Modulus 16

I actually don't think I've ever tweaked those settings. I did try all of the Apple TV Settings but haven't been able to get a BluRay to play successfully. Should it really be as simple as clicking on the AppleTV Preset? Guess I should try it again...

Aqueous

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
I haven't tried adding it to iTunes library and viewing it directly though ATV1 menu, I will try that. I will also try the ATV1 Preset! The rips played just fine on my iMac, just not on ATV1 via XBMC... this is some confusing stuff.

Then I was wondering if upgrading the video card to Crystal Buntu would solve the problem, maybe the resolution of my rips was too high for 720p playback?

I was really hoping to maintain "most" of the quality of the BluRay movies.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
The rips played just fine on my iMac, just not on ATV1 via XBMC... this is some confusing stuff.

Then I was wondering if upgrading the video card to Crystal Buntu would solve the problem, maybe the resolution of my rips was too high for 720p playback?
Soo, you are running crystalbuntu on an atv1 with no chd card ? If so w/out the chd card the atv 1 actually has weaker playback than stock as xbmc has no access to the native geoforce video card. If you have the card, put it back in or go back to the stock atv os if you want to have smooth playback of 720p

Aqueous

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
I haven't upgraded the card yet, not using crystal buntu yet. Was just considering it, and wondering if it would fix my playback issue with bluray rips.

Playing around with the AppleTV preset now to see if it works/looks good, should know soon...

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
I haven't upgraded the card yet, not using crystal buntu yet. Was just considering it, and wondering if it would fix my playback issue with bluray rips.

Playing around with the AppleTV preset now to see if it works/looks good, should know soon...

er, of course the appletv preset will work ... ;) its why it was written and is in fact probably one of the most tested HB presets..

Btw, if you add the chd and install linux xbmc ... the atv 1 will eat raw decrypted blu ray. SO yeah, its a well spent bit of money.

Now that said ... the HB atv preset ( not appletv 2 or appletv 3) will let you play transcoded blu ray sources stock.

Aqueous

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
er, of course the appletv preset will work ... ;) its why it was written and is in fact probably one of the most tested HB presets..

Btw, if you add the chd and install linux xbmc ... the atv 1 will eat raw decrypted blu ray. SO yeah, its a well spent bit of money.

Now that said ... the HB atv preset ( not appletv 2 or appletv 3) will let you play transcoded blu ray sources stock.

Thanks for this info! I just tested it and it works gray for bluray (finally). Is that preset also the best result for DVD's? Feel kinda dumb for not trusting that preset - think I did too much reading with not enough experience and took some others advice thinking I could get better results...

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Thanks for this info! I just tested it and it works gray for bluray (finally). Is that preset also the best result for DVD's? Feel kinda dumb for not trusting that preset - think I did too much reading with not enough experience and took some others advice thinking I could get better results...

Heh, yeah it works for everything. Thats why it is the AppleTv 1 preset ;)

----------

I did try all of the Apple TV Settings but haven't been able to get a BluRay to play successfully. Should it really be as simple as clicking on the AppleTV Preset?

Er, you said above you had tried all of the Apple TV Settings ??

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
If you're using the ATV1 preset and your frame rate is 24fps, you can switch off the loose anamorphic settings and go for none and just set your resolution to 1280 wide and 'keep aspect ratio' to preserve the shape. A typical 2.35:1 ratio movie will then be 1280x544 for example and will look better than the standard ATV1 preset which accounts for the original ATV being unable to display 30fps 720p. The best it can do is 25fps 720p, but the majority of BDs will be 24fps and so will encode fine for 720p playback. I rip a lot of BDs and DVDs so my son can play them on the old ATV1 we have on our spare TV which only has my old LD/DVD combo player attached as the BD player is on the main TV/Projection system.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
If you're using the ATV1 preset and your frame rate is 24fps, you can switch off the loose anamorphic settings and go for none and just set your resolution to 1280 wide and 'keep aspect ratio' to preserve the shape. A typical 2.35:1 ratio movie will then be 1280x544 for example and will look better than the standard ATV1 preset which accounts for the original ATV being unable to display 30fps 720p. The best it can do is 25fps 720p, but the majority of BDs will be 24fps and so will encode fine for 720p playback. I rip a lot of BDs and DVDs so my son can play them on the old ATV1 we have on our spare TV which only has my old LD/DVD combo player attached as the BD player is on the main TV/Projection system.

This is in fact correct. good point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.