Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mobile video viewing experienced significant gains last year, growing from just 2% of online videos watched in 2011 to 12% in 2012 - and the majority of it is on iOS devices.

60% of all mobile video viewing is done on iOS devices, according to a study by video monetization company Freewheel (via TechCrunch). Android devices accounted for most of the rest, at 32%.

video.png

The iPhone alone accounted for 30% of all mobile video, the iPad for 24% and the iPod touch for 6%. Apple's lead over Android increased substantially in the final quarter of last year, perhaps suggesting that the increased screen size of the iPhone 5 made video viewing on the phone more appealing, with the iPad screen size and quality giving it obvious appeal.
Both platforms experienced considerable gains in terms of overall video viewing volume, with 30 percent growth in viewing of online videos on non-PC/Mac devices occurring between Q3 2012 and Q4 2012 alone. Apple's strong lead is dues to its dominance in the tablet market, where FreeWheel says Android has yet to field a competitor that can truly make a dent in its overall share.
Apple's lead is perhaps unsurprising given the the company's early jump on the smartphone market and its more cohesive iOS platform, with many content providers launching iOS apps ahead of Android ones. TechCrunch suggests that there may be a virtuous circle effect, with content providers optimising for iOS devices while the Android experience gets less focus.

Mobile video is naturally expected to be increasingly important going forward, with more and more content providers embracing mobile platforms to encourage more flexible viewing. Just yesterday, HBO introduced increased functionality for its HBO Go app, allowing content to be pushed from Apple's mobile devices to a larger screen via AirPlay.

Article Link: Mobile Video Viewing Growing Fast, with Apple Way Out in Front on iPad's Strength

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I think Airplay is the advantage that Apple currently has. I have an A/V receiver with AirPlay built in, and I can easily stream content from my iPhone or iPad directly to my TV and surround system. It works really well and has begun changing the way I watch videos. Streaming is now so easy and the quality is good enough that it can nearly substitute for standard broadcasts.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
And people were saying that lack of flash would limit the iPad/iphone. Apple was a big enough player with customers who like to spend money that anyone designing a website with half a brain makes sure it works on iPad/iPhone.

Congrats Apple, you called out Flash for being crap, and it worked.

ineedamac

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
For me it had less to do with the larger screen size and more to do with LTE on the iPhone 5.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
And people were saying that lack of flash would limit the iPad/iphone. Apple was a big enough player with customers who like to spend money that anyone designing a website with half a brain makes sure it works on iPad/iPhone.

Congrats Apple, you called out Flash for being crap, and it worked.

There is always, ALWAYS something Apple is doomed if they don't follow along with what everyone else is doing (or trying to do).

Naturally, when they fail to follow, they are then called "not innovative". :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.