Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

louis Fashion

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2010
Arizona, USA
That would be great since Loewe has TV sets with Full Picture-in-Picture (Full PiP), which requires at least two Digital Terrestrial Television (DTTV, DTT or DVB-T) tuners inside the TV set. The Full PiP feature is extremely useful for channel surfing during commercials (ie., very handy for bridging commercial breaks). After image quality, Full PiP is the most important feature of a TV for many consumers.

Does COMCAST allow PIP? I think I tried to use my PIP once but it was a FAIL!

hexx

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2010
London, UK, \m/
Loewe have exorbitant product quality, I don't know how they do it exactly, but the picture quality is insane. As are the prices, which in this case I assume, are not only paid for the name.

Nope, they don't. I used to sell them and they're nothing special except for the price, kind of B&O thing - nothing special but good show-off.

----------

Right, so an opinion from one person based on experience years ago is not interesting at all. They clearly were not perfect, and they had yield issues, etc. not to mention logistics problems like this with the US market in particular, etc. etc. That's not interesting. What is interesting is that none of that matters - not to a purchase like Apple, who would clean house on all these things - Apple has the best logistics in the world, trust me. They will take the best aspects of Loewe, kick the bad aspects to the curb, and re-tool to meet THEIR design goals, not some legacy person at Loewe's design goals, that's the point. Clearly you have not been around business if you think that problems from 7 years ago actually mean anything today for an acquirer the size of Apple, or for their plans to conquer this new market.

i'm another one, we were authorised distributor of Loewe. It's the same crap like B&O (also used to sell their products) - a lipstick on a pig ;)

kryca

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2010
Loewe makes absolutely stunning, beautiful sets. Web photos cannot do them justice, they have a long history of insanely beautiful TV's with insanely great picture quality. ...

weeeeeell... marketing at work. Take a mass product, build a nice enclosing and charge a ridiculous price for that. Et voila, an insane product is born.

MacDownunder

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Selective cuts pehaps?

It is not. Samsung is high end. Loewe is just pretentious. Those interested in the quality of Loewe TV sets can check this forum thread from our Australian friends who can buy both Loewe and Samsung.

Here are some quotes:

"I've formed the impression that Loewe have lost the plot. Their sets are adequate at best and cost way too much for the feature set they offer."

"If I have the sort of money for a Leowe TV I would go for a Samsung 60 or 64 E8000 plasma or Panasonic ST50 60"

"Don't buy the Loewe..."

"After owning loewe once I'd never buy another, picture was good while it worked though"

"I believe the assembly line is German, but that's about it. All the components are sourced elsewhere, i.e. Korea/China."

As a previous owner of Loewe and living in Aus, I can vouch for their beautiful picture, but people like the crazy over saturated stuff that most of the Koreans produce - it's brighter so must be better right? I hate the look of many of the Samsung TVs picture. And mine was reliable as well as better value than what widescreen stuff was available when I bought it.

Do I have a Loewe now? - no manly due to the crazy expensive prices of large panels here in Aus. I have a Sony Bravia HX series which is nice, efficient and didn't smash my budget. The stores pushing Samsung all wanted me to buy their flagship product with hand gesturing, skype camera etc which was not only significantly dearer than what we went for but also, in my opinion, produced a lesser picture than the Sony once you played proper HD and not animation where the over blown colours do look great.

But that's just my opinion and I'm sure many disagree and enjoy their choices as well ;)

AndiS.

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
We happen to own two Loewes, and all I can say is that it do not notice any substantial difference compared to a Sony NX.

As someone else wrote, nothing beats a solid input signal on a HDTV. (With older tube TV sets, software could do some great enhancements through upscaling, like the Philips.) With HDTV, the quality of the panel determines the picture quality. If you put a Sharp panel in it, you will get Sharp picture quality (which I find actually to be quite good).

You can drive a Mercedes A-class and find its engine to be insanely better than a Renault - the engine remains one and the same, though. :)

YMMV! Just my 2 cents.

I'm not familiar with the Sony NX, but please keep in mind that I said "that I have seen". There are many Loewe, Sony and Sharp TVs out there, and I wasn't establishing an objective fact, rather stating my experience ; )

That said, your analogy would only make sense, if I had spoken about a Loewe and a Sharp TV, with the exact same panels. Besides, the A-Class is not a luxury car to begin with (even though the new design is great, but I digress), and Mercedes probably modified Renault's engine, no?

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
My first ever proper TV was a Loewe, it was a fantastic TV and lasted
20 years and then got damaged by a power surge due to lightning.
It was expensive at firs, but considering the lifespan it was actually really cheap in the end.
However their air play speaker does get some very mixed reviews, but so do some Apple products (like the dying Time Capsules).

----------

Form over function and performance. Like Bang and Olufsen and Bose.

So you owned one then, I suppose...

AndiS.

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
Nope, they don't. I used to sell them and they're nothing special except for the price, kind of B&O thing - nothing special but good show-off.

----------

i'm another one, we were authorised distributor of Loewe. It's the same crap like B&O (also used to sell their products) - a lipstick on a pig ;)

how many were you selling with that attitude ; ) Seriously though, when a family member bought one, I was really trying to talk him out of it, because he spent an insane amount on a 32" LCD back then, which would have bought him a way bigger display, with a lot of money to spare. He ended up buying the Loewe after all, and the picture clarity was nothing like I had seen before. I found the quality very special, just like on other Loewe TVs I've seen.

Of course, I can't speak on the value of those devices, since I don't know jack about the manufacturing process and what actually goes into the TVs.

----------

Form over function and performance. Like Bang and Olufsen and Bose.

Bryan Cranston wouldn't be very happy with you ; )

hexx

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2010
London, UK, \m/
how many were you selling with that attitude ; ) Seriously though, when a family member bought one, I was really trying to talk him out of it, because he spent an insane amount on a 32" LCD back then, which would have bought him a way bigger display, with a lot of money to spare. He ended up buying the Loewe after all, and the picture clarity was nothing like I had seen before. I found the quality very special, just like on other Loewe TVs I've seen.

Of course, I can't speak on the value of those devices, since I don't know jack about the manufacturing process and what actually goes into the TVs.

----------

Bryan Cranston wouldn't be very happy with you ; )

many, my opinion on a product has got nothing to do with the work, in that case sale of those products since i do not share my opinions with my customers since it's not my money. if German TVs, then I preferred TVs from Metz, the same build quality for less - not sure if they still make TVs these days though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.