Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
Bit of a paradox to mock the concept of rumors on a site who's explicit reason for existence is to explore Apple rumors. If you don't like them why do you waste time coming to the site?

That went right over your head, didn't it..

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
Please apple, come out w/ iphone 5S DUDs again... you will see what happens to your stocks..

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
I hate this attitude of "apple won't just make bigger device every nine month.. WHY the hell not? I want along w/ many others, want IOS on amazing 5+ inch screen.. you can have your 4 inch iphone.. what's wrong w/ that? I don't understand what some of you are drinking.. I don't get it
No wonder apple is tanking on their stock values.. Thing to concentrate here is not how much apple made last quarter but rather how much apple could have made more.. do you see the difference?

I am hearing 5+ inch coming w/ 1080 devices this year which is going to be very common. Why the hell would I want to be stuck on 4 inch screen(if I were to upgrade this year) for next 2 years when everyone else will have gorgeous screen of 5+ inch? I want it.. you can have your 4inch screen.

----------

Seriously.. the day of apple doing things because they are the only one who can do right thing is over...

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I can honestly say if Apple comes out with 4.8" screen I will not be buying it. I've had every iPhone since the 3G and 4.8" is just too big. The iPhone 5 is a pretty decent size. I have no need for a mini iPad Mini. It's just too much.
Who's twisting your arm to buy it? Cripes, don't then. Buy the 4" model they'll still have.

Well if interest in the 5S has any baring on Apple's stock, it should slide. I hope they have more for 2013 than that. 2014 (mid to late) for this supposed 4.8" is a crap shoot at best. Anyone can make a wild guess what Apple is going to be doing a year from now.

Joesmith13245

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
Why would you buy every iPhone ever made? I've owned exactly two iPhones since Apple has come out with them. Currently on an iPhone 4 and likely will stay with it until it becomes troublesome.

As to iPads I get far more value out of my iPad 3 than my iPhone or MBP for that matter. Even so I don't update every cycle there either. Frankly I work hard for my dollars and spend them carefully. Further I avoid getting emotional about a product.

This is actually not that uncommon. I do not consider myself an Apple fanboy(you can see that by looking at my previous posts) and have had every iteration of the iPhone since 3G. I have 6 phones on my account so I always have an upgrade ready to use when the latest phone is released. I usually pass down my old phone to one of my kids when I get the new one. And since I am not paying full price it's easy to justify.

Since the ipad is not subsidized I do not take the same approach and will stick with the same model(iPad 2) for 2-3 years.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Well that stinks and that is a real bummer if this is true...

Leaning more and more to the Sammy G Note II now, I need a larger screen and the jump from 3.5 to 4.o was barely enough. Besides bored of the iPhone since 2008 I have had it and now Android is a lot smoother, so maybe this upgrade go to Android and if the next iPhone is good, maybe go back.

SILen(e

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
I hate this attitude of "apple won't just make bigger device every nine month.. WHY the hell not? I want along w/ many others, want IOS on amazing 5+ inch screen.. you can have your 4 inch iphone.. what's wrong w/ that? I don't understand what some of you are drinking.. I don't get it

Because what is good in an ever increasing screen size?

Didn't you ever think that maybe a certain size might be the perfect size for the majority of people?

Why did Samsung increase the size of their Galaxy Note devices?

Why 5.3", then 5.5" and in the future 6.0" (if the rumors are true)?

Why 3.2" on the Galaxy I7500, then 4.0" on the Galaxy S, 4.3" on the Galaxy S2, 4.7" on the Galaxy Nexus and 4.8" on the Galaxy S 3? Oh - and of course 5" on the Galaxy S4 - or maybe 5.1", because every other company will use 5" and Samsung of course wants to sell a device with a "better" aka larger display.

Why is the display of a newer (high end) device ALWAYS larger?

Were they really unable to manufacture a larger device for the previous generation?

No, building something larger is seldom a problem, building it smaller is!

Dell did a 5" Smartphone in 2010.

Damnit, Samsung did the GalaxyTab 7" in 2010 and you could use it as a telephone...

They aren't designing devices with research on the optimal display size in mind, they are designing them with specsheet-supremacy in mind.

So if you want a device with a larger screen size every 9 months - when do you think should they stop?
6 inches?
6.5 inches?
7?
8?
You can't really think that more than 8" for phone is okay, do you?

Why aren't you using a 7" tablet or the iPad Mini as a phone?

It's possible, people already did it (and now they are living in the future... Android future^^)

Besides bored of the iPhone since 2008 I have had it

It is a tool!

How can you get bored of a tool?

Damn, this hammer could use some glitter and maybe a different paintjob.

Oh, i like Windows XP and Windows 7, but i totally think it should be more tiley and it'd love to completely relearn using it.

RicD

macrumors member
May 12, 2010
USA
Sorry I missed the memo.

Quote: "...- Revamped OS. We think Apple plans to re-architect iOS to utilize more cores and better compete with Samsung....".

So now we are to utilize utilize rather than utilizing use. Folks, using utilize does not make you sound smarter. It makes you sound incompetent not well versed in English.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
The current screen size is stupid. a taller screen. That's why I still have a 4s and will keep it until a proper larger screen and OS is implemented.

The "taller" screen was simply a move to 16:9

It's unlikely Apple will change the aspect ratio again anytime soon.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey

Didn't you ever think that maybe a certain size might be the perfect size for the majority of people?

Why 3.2" on the Galaxy I7500, then 4.0" on the Galaxy S, 4.3" on the Galaxy S2, 4.7" on the Galaxy Nexus and 4.8" on the Galaxy S 3? Oh - and of course 5" on the Galaxy S4 - or maybe 5.1", because every other company will use 5" and Samsung of course wants to sell a device with a "better" aka larger display.

Were they really unable to manufacture a larger device for the previous generation?

Damnit, Samsung did the GalaxyTab 7" in 2010 and you could use it as a telephone...

They aren't designing devices with research on the optimal display size in mind, they are designing them with specsheet-supremacy in mind.

So if you want a device with a larger screen size every 9 months - when do you think should they stop?
6 inches?
6.5 inches?
7?
8?

It's possible, people already did it (and now they are living in the future... Android future^^)

It is a tool!

Oh, i like Windows XP and Windows 7, but i totally think it should be more tiley and it'd love to completely relearn using it.

So if we did not invent new tools like going from a hand saw to a power saw, we would be living back in time, and I am sure we would never be able to build a house in a couple of weeks. Tools are meant to be improved, thus if you keep the same boring OS for years what do you gain out of that?

I do agree with your other statement too large gets a little over kill, so that being said, I have very big hands and the Note II 5.5 is the largest I would go, and for me that phone is very nice, does a whole lot the iPhone doesn't and works really well, my wife has one.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010

6 inches?
6.5 inches?
7?
8?

It is a tool!

Did you hear what I said? Look at how much apple could have had more by making additional screen size. Have your 4 inch device. Some others want 5 inch device. Is this so hard to understand?????

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Having two options would work, only a larger phone does leave out those who wish to have a phone size phone.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
Quote: "...- Revamped OS. We think Apple plans to re-architect iOS to utilize more cores and better compete with Samsung....".

So now we are to utilize utilize rather than utilizing use. Folks, using utilize does not make you sound smarter. It makes you sound incompetent not well versed in English.

What exactly is you're point their?

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
OLED is still bleeding edge tech. Other companies managed to use a tech which isn't ready for the real world, so they score poorly with display reviews by experts. If an OLED display has the brightness and viewing angles of the IPS panel, and is properly calibrated, and doesn't reduce battery life, then it's probably going to be a truly remarkable display. Sadly, this technology isn't there yet.(Oh, and they should also sort out the color wearing out and burn-ins)

Right and it wouldn't be the first time. Steve Jobs also bashed flash-media based mp3 players, saying hard drive players are much, much better. Obviously, the technology changed and Apple changed their product line.

However, OLED isn't there yet, so I don't buy a report that Apple is shifting to OLED RIGHT NOW as they keep claiming. It may eventually happen unless something better comes along, but right here right now IPS panels are better in Apple's eyes, even if OLED is bleeding edge.

SILen(e

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
Did you hear what I said? Look at how much apple could have had more by making additional screen size. Have your 4 inch device. Some others want 5 inch device. Is this so hard to understand?????

Please see this:

Having two options would work, only a larger phone does leave out those who wish to have a phone size phone.

I am not against a larger device per se, i am against the yearly size increase in Android devices to be the best in the spec sheet wars.

Yeah, i heard what you said - but you asked for YEARLY increases in size, not a new additional model with a larger size.

buysp

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2013
Sydney, Australia
IGZO is the Bottleneck

I do beleive that Apple do want to give us consumers choice but 2 things happened 1. reacted to late to the market (we will buy a bigger screen) 2. IGZO screen production is the bottleneck.

TripHop

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2009
Any iPhone Taller Than 125mm/5in Won't Fit In My Breast Pocket

I can honestly say if Apple comes out with 4.8" screen I will not be buying it. I've had every iPhone since the 3G and 4.8" is just too big. The iPhone 5 is a pretty decent size. I have no need for a mini iPad Mini. It's just too much.
I agree. The problem I have with a larger screen is not that I wouldn't like it, but that any iPhone more than 5" tall won't fit in the standard button down breast pockets that all my cotton flannel shirts hold my iPhone in. From what I can tell, the 5" phones are closer to 6" tall and that won't let my breast pocket's button close. I would have to devise a rubber band fastener while a 5" iPhone's top would be peeking over the 5" top of standard breast pockets. :(

Toadstall

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2012
Essex UK
Why would you buy every iPhone ever made? I've owned exactly two iPhones since Apple has come out with them. Currently on an iPhone 4 and likely will stay with it until it becomes troublesome.

As to iPads I get far more value out of my iPad 3 than my iPhone or MBP for that matter. Even so I don't update every cycle there either. Frankly I work hard for my dollars and spend them carefully. Further I avoid getting emotional about a product.

:) Why? is a funny word when talking about Apple. High end cost, quality etc, but Why? is interesting full stop, not just how often you / we upgrade.
BB & S3 owners love the Why? conversation as well it seems....normally centred around cost.

To make my position easy to detect - my motto -
if you can afford it - make youyrself happy.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
I agree. The problem I have with a larger screen is not that I wouldn't like it, but that any iPhone more than 5" tall won't fit in the standard button down breast pockets that all my cotton flannel shirts hold my iPhone in. From what I can tell, the 5" phones are closer to 6" tall and that won't let my breast pocket's button close. I would have to devise a rubber band fastener while a 5" iPhone's top would be peeking over the 5" top of standard breast pockets. :(

Or put it in a different pocket...

the read

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2009
I've long been tired of the "Apple better do X quickly or they'll miss the opportunity forever." (see: blu-ray, 3G for the iPhone, etc.)

So I won't go so far as to say, "THEY NEED A BIGGER SCREEN OR THE COMPANY WILL DIE."

But they need to do something. iOS is getting desperately long-in-tooth. Aside from a slightly longer screen, very little has changed about the hardware in 3+ years now. I'm not counting them out, but I starting to get a little antsy.

I agree. Android has advanced their OS dramatically in the past 12 months leaving iOS in the dust fumbling with Apple maps and other restrictions. Then with the hardware that Samsung currently have on the market and press realases from Samsung RnD departments on future handsets.

Apple need to do something better than adding more inches to the screen.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
They are just spinning. They are promoting what they sell. The spin will change once the product does. I remember times when Apple was convinced that tablets smaller than 9" were useless...

I don't. But i remember Steve saying 7" tablets are DOA. Apple still have not made 7" tablet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.