Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yeroon

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
Still a lot, but more reasonable. But it's a smack in the face for all customers who bought the $1300 option or another one because the difference was too high. Couldn't they think of this before? It's a shame...

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
That sucks for people that paid $1300 when they ordered their iMac's. I might have gone for the SSD at that price instead of the 3TB fusion.

Well while $900 for any SSD is too rich for my blood, I don't think it sucks that people paid $1300. Anyone who has pockets that deep for an SSD isn't giving it a second thought. :D

Nihilius

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2012
I think that's actually a fair price if you compare it to SSD drives of the same size sold separately. It seems 600GB SSD drives sell for around 850 eur so 900 eur/usd doesn't feel like ripoff from 786GB SSD.

For me personally it's still too much compared to 1 TB fusion drive which is 650 eur cheaper. Even though it would be nice to have SSD-only computer I would spend the same money elsewhere

Looking at 27" iMacs:

Base 27" iMac with 786 SSD = 2865 eur

Top spec 27" iMac with 1TB Fusion + 680MX + i7 = 2746 eur

Just a personal opinion. I can still understand why someone would go for SSD.

Still it would be best to have SSD + regular HDD like with older models

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
That sucks for people that paid $1300 when they ordered their iMac's. I might have gone for the SSD at that price instead of the 3TB fusion.

Ditto.

It's nice to see that Apple came to its senses and decided to put the crack pipe down.

It's too bad that they didn't realize the absurdity of their $1,300 option in time for product release, although, I think I would have still gone with the 3TB fusion.

jdrouette

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
I ordered the 768GB Flash option January 25th (still processing) and Apple graciously adjusted the price when I called this morning.

To me, the extra cost is worth it for noise, power, heat and (hopefully) reliability. I've just had a RAID-0 fail last week, so I may be overly cautious.

I don't have unlimited disposable income, although I do wipe myself with $100 bills. Ahem.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Excellent news. I called Apple and asked if I should cancel and reorder... but they just price adjusted. Saving $400 is a nice.

My original estimate (back in 2012) was a $1000 upgrade for 768GB SSD. I was disappointed at $1300... but I still ordered. $900 beat my expectations.

/Jim

elev8d

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
This is great news :)

It would be awesome if I could get the 3TB drive in there too and partition it off. Then I wouldn't need an external.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
It would be awesome if I could get the 3TB drive in there too and partition it off. Then I wouldn't need an external.

I'll be using my 768GB SSD along with an external Thunderbolt 8TB Pegasus R4 (configured as 4TB RAID 10). It seems to be a lot faster than a single spindle drive. I think I am through using single spindle drives for primary data... but will continue to use them just for backup.

In a couple of years, when SSDs are in the multi-TB range... I'll just shut off the Pegasus or attach it to a Mac Mini Server. My newly ordered iMac will go to my wife... who will probably never exceed 768GB... or even 1/2 of that.

/Jim

Fifemacuser

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
Have they altered the price of the i7 and the 680mx on the high end 27"? (ukstore)

currently showing the i7 being £160 and the 680 being £120

Was just looking at the price of the SSD (which i may have been tempted to get at that price) and the other upgrades look cheaper than i remember! my invoice doesn't have a breakdown and it was HE anyway.

Anyone can let me know if its just my imagination?

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
What about those who have bought from resellers and paid already the higher price, but still haven´t received their machines?

I was only replying about Apple charging before shipping which they generally don't. As far as resellers, I buy from resellers all the time and I've never been charged prior to shipping unless my item was being shipped that same day. That's a policy the customer needs to find out about from the reseller before buying backordered products. If something hasn't shipped and you've been charged the reseller should have no issue taking care of you if the price drops.

r0t

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
I called apple support for my pending/processing imac order. They are not aware of the price drop :confused:. They said I will be charged the new price when the imac is shipped. :cool:

Oh, this is my first post here, I'm new to mac world and love this community.

Ikonen

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2013
Helsinki
What a joy! Thanks for sharing this! I may have just fallen over the edge - I think I will upgrade my iMac now. 768GB is a whole lot of awesome.

DigitalKiwi

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
The price drop on the SSD has just bought it within my price range - so I've called apple and asked to change the config on my pending order (I already had an order placed for a 27" with a 3TB fusion drive).

They said the only way to do this was to cancel the order and place a new one - which I've now done. I was a bit dismayed that I would have to go to the back of the queue again and wait another 6 weeks. I mentioned this to the call center girl who said she would try to get the order expedited but can't guarantee anything. She said I would know within 48 hours if there is anything they can do.. so fingers crossed.

Has anyone else changed their order and had Apple put them back in their original queue slot afterwards rather than get sent to the back of the line?

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
Still a lot, but more reasonable. But it's a smack in the face for all customers who bought the $1300 option or another one because the difference was too high. Couldn't they think of this before? It's a shame...

Please! If you are that offended why didn't you wait? Most who participate in Macrumors predicted a price drop at some point.

i-Rich

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2013
I think the technicl term for those who ordered from a reseller is "screwed over!"

I'll lose my deposit if I cancel.

I'll give the APR a ring today but I don't think there is any chance that they will pass on the new pricing as Apple will no doubt not pass it on to them.

It annoys me as my wait will be 8 weeks today!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.