Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Loads of places do this. Friend of mine got an iPad last christmas from his boss, as did every other employee.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
LinkedIn is a professional networking tool. Lots of college students use it for jobs and internships. That's in addition to other users.

Pretty sure much of their revenue comes from advertising and Premium.

Kranchammer

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2010
Kahleefornya
Little known fact, but Jeff's brother Irvin Clyde used to work at a cryogenics facility in the late 1990s. Gave the pizza delivery guys fits.

/obscure joke

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
Wow that's really cool to treat your employees well. I haven't had a raise from my company in 8 years let alone a present or a party.

phineas

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2006
South of the Border I-95
Curious

Should have waited for retina.

I see allot of people saying this but IMHO I see NO justifiable reasoning to wait for a retina, either my eyes are shot already or to me and others there just is no or not that noticeable difference. I went to the apple store in town and they had the iPad Retina next to the iPad mini's and I brought up the books they have preinstalled and did not see a difference.

I've read articles and reviews by Consumer reports and other's that say that there is NO reason to wait. Yes they could have there reason's but I'm not seeing it and obviously since there's been who knows how many million's sold already maybe other's do not see the difference or just don't care to wait till the fall for Apple to release a newer model which may eat up more battery life and cost 100's of dollars more.

Adam22

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2012
I see allot of people saying this but IMHO I see NO justifiable reasoning to wait for a retina, either my eyes are shot already or to me and others there just is no or not that noticeable difference. I went to the apple store in town and they had the iPad Retina next to the iPad mini's and I brought up the books they have preinstalled and did not see a difference.

I've read articles and reviews by Consumer reports and other's that say that there is NO reason to wait. Yes they could have there reason's but I'm not seeing it and obviously since there's been who knows how many million's sold already maybe other's do not see the difference or just don't care to wait till the fall for Apple to release a newer model which may eat up more battery life and cost 100's of dollars more.

Yeah you're right because
Of the smaller screen but the same resolution the text looks better , crispier on the mini than the ipad 2( no retina) and looks almost as good as the ipad 3,4 with retina but the internals of the mini are really outdated its from ipad 2 and were on ipad 4 they could of at least put the specs of an ipad 3 in there

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
If he wanted to get the same amount of storage it would have been an extra $170 x 3500 employees. So he could have done it, but it would have cost the company an additional $595k (plus tax).

They aren't paying full price for an order of that size.

chadwik

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2009
I interviewed at their office recently so I'll answer some of these questions.

LinkedIn makes the majority of their money through a product called Talent Direct. This allows recruiters and companies to do targeted searches and messaging (InMail) for potential candidates. So you are the product, but unlike Facebook you get targeted for work instead of ads. It's a win/win business model.

All of the engineering for all of their products (yes, there are more than just your profile) is done at the HQ in Mountain View California. Then there are satellite sales office across the globe. Building something like LinkedIn is not easy and requires a lot of building solutions to your own problems. I know there are teams dedicated to just building tools that are used internally that no one outside of company will ever see. When you have as much data as LinkedIn has it requires a lot of infrastructure and people to make it work.

coltman75

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
A pay increase or longer holidays would be better. An out of date iPad mini is like a kick in the teeth.

I have the feeling you've never actually been kicked in the teeth, have you?

I'll spare you: it feels nothing like getting an iPad Mini as a present from your boss.

phineas

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2006
South of the Border I-95
Yeah you're right because
Of the smaller screen but the same resolution the text looks better , crispier on the mini than the ipad 2( no retina) and looks almost as good as the ipad 3,4 with retina but the internals of the mini are really outdated its from ipad 2 and were on ipad 4 they could of at least put the specs of an ipad 3 in there

Considering its the "New Tablet" on the block, Apple probably said lets use what we have that works already and will fit in this smaller size.

As for the processor , me personally I think the A5 is just fine, its a mini tablet and for what they intended it to do I'm sure the A5 is a good start, even the typical Home User it's fine. Let's say that Apple release's a new model with the "A7" processor this summer or fall , with in day's people will be complaining about something else, and it needs this and should have had that

Some people are just never happy with what's available or what they have.

As for being given tablets instead of money , well IMHO the people that work there are the only one's that have a say in that, but I'd guess that there NOT complaining.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.