Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
This happens to my iPad 4, whenever I watch my Optimum TV app only. Looks like I am not the only one on this issue, after all.

BTW, I don't get this display issue, when watching HBO GO or other movie/videos. :confused:

As has been reported (and confirmed by me, for what that's worth), not all video apps use Apple's video-decoding algorithms, so not all video apps have the issue. Only the ones piggy-backing off Apple's software.

Kojaraty

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2013
As has been reported (and confirmed by me, for what that's worth), not all video apps use Apple's video-decoding algorithms, so not all video apps have the issue. Only the ones piggy-backing off Apple's software.
Which app that don't use apple decoding?

MacKid

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2003
It seems to only affect .mp4s and similar basic codecs that go straight through the OS.

Ionutg

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
So you want me to go out of my way and do a really specific thing, to find a really specific problem in order to tout that the iPad has a flawed display?

I think somebody needs another hobby,

Shenfrey, nobody wants you to do anything, if you don't have this issue then good for you. Now let's get back to people whose iPads have this issue and let's see if there's a solution out there. I paid a €&@$load of money for this iPad and I expect it to be flawless in EVERY department, not just in the 'everyday' aspects.

I've been reading this thread and I'm surprised of how ridiculous it gets - this isn't personal and it's not about convincing everyone they their iPads suck, it's about some people whose iPads have an issue and maybe trying to find a solution or explanation for that.

smileyface

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2013
The thread starter claims this problem occurs in virtually all movies with dark scenes and it happens during playback and not just doing specific things like pausing and hiding the controllers.

I can report that I have yet to come across a movie or video that has this problem other than the 4 examples provided in this thread.

There is no question there is an issue but for most units,it is not a serious problem otherwise we would be hearing a lot more about it.There may be some batches where this issue is more pronounced.If the contrast was pumping up and down every 5 seconds during playback of a movie I would throw it back in Apples face and demand a refund but most people seem perfectly happy so the 'seriousness' of the problem is a bit exaggerated in my opinion.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
The thread starter claims this problem occurs in virtually all movies with dark scenes and it happens during playback and not just doing specific things like pausing and hiding the controllers.

And don't forget the claim that it WILL happen to ALL iPad 4 units because it's A MAJOR DESIGN FLAW.

and yet numerous folks have reported that we tried several times to replicate his issue using both the same and similar media/scenes and nothing. so clearly it's not an issue affecting all units etc. and yet he keeps telling us yes it is.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
And don't forget the claim that it WILL happen to ALL iPad 4 units because it's A MAJOR DESIGN FLAW.

and yet numerous folks have reported that we tried several times to replicate his issue using both the same and similar media/scenes and nothing. so clearly it's not an issue affecting all units etc. and yet he keeps telling us yes it is.

Yes. I do. And I still believe it affects all iPads. Heck, even people who've sworn up and down that their iPads have no issues have recanted an hour/day/week later and said they noticed it. So call me a cynic, call me insane, call me stupid - but I think every iPad 4 to this date has this issue.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
Shenfrey, nobody wants you to do anything, if you don't have this issue then good for you. Now let's get back to people whose iPads have this issue and let's see if there's a solution out there. I paid a €&@$load of money for this iPad and I expect it to be flawless in EVERY department, not just in the 'everyday' aspects.

I've been reading this thread and I'm surprised of how ridiculous it gets - this isn't personal and it's not about convincing everyone they their iPads suck, it's about some people whose iPads have an issue and maybe trying to find a solution or explanation for that.

We all paid a lot of money, the question is; would you have even known about this problem if the TC had not brought it up? If so then more power to you and I hope you get it fixed. If not then my point still stands.

Anyway, good luck in solving the problem.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Yes. I do. And I still believe it affects all iPads. Heck, even people who've sworn up and down that their iPads have no issues have recanted an hour/day/week later and said they noticed it. So call me a cynic, call me insane, call me stupid - but I think every iPad 4 to this date has this issue.

IF such a flaw existed we would have heard about it by now. Folks like to dump Apple too much not to be all over the place demanding a recall, etc. That and the fact that numerous folks in this thread have told you that we can't recreate this alleged flaw that affects all units is proof that no it doesn't.

Could it have been a production issue that affected a limited number of units that were assembled at the same time or perhaps with units from the same batch of displays, sure. But that is not a design flaw as you tried to claim several times and that is hardly ALL units.

And if you can't follow that logic then maybe you are stupid or are at least acting it to get your bit of fame. If you can follow it and yet insist on pushing your view that Apple screwed up big time then you're a troll. Actually that you insist on implying if not stating that everyone that doesn't back you up is blind and stupid makes you a troll.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
IF such a flaw existed we would have heard about it by now. Folks like to dump Apple too much not to be all over the place demanding a recall, etc. That and the fact that numerous folks in this thread have told you that we can't recreate this alleged flaw that affects all units is proof that no it doesn't.

Could it have been a production issue that affected a limited number of units that were assembled at the same time or perhaps with units from the same batch of displays, sure. But that is not a design flaw as you tried to claim several times and that is hardly ALL units.

And if you can't follow that logic then maybe you are stupid or are at least acting it to get your bit of fame. If you can follow it and yet insist on pushing your view that Apple screwed up big time then you're a troll. Actually that you insist on implying if not stating that everyone that doesn't back you up is blind and stupid makes you a troll.

You know, sometimes the Internet is a rough place to play. I understand that, and by making blanket statements like "ALL iPad 4 devices have this issue," I'm opening myself up for attack. I'm fine with that, though, because I'm a big boy now. I'm really not sure what "fame" you're referring to, though. What "fame" would I get for reporting a bug in iPad video playback?

I still maintain that every single iPad 4 has this issue. I've chatted with Apple several time, their engineers have confirmed the issue, and it's a software bug based on how some video-apps (AV Player HD and NetFlix for example) do not have the problem since they do their own video decoding. So, if it's a software issue, there's no doubt in my mind that it affects all iPad 4 devices.

I'll be speaking to Apple again about this, because it's ridiculous it's gone on this long.

Lambast me all you want, it really isn't going to get anywhere. And it's funny that you call me a troll. :rolleyes:

Now, moving on...

Ionutg

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
We all paid a lot of money, the question is; would you have even known about this problem if the TC had not brought it up? If so then more power to you and I hope you get it fixed. If not then my point still stands.

Anyway, good luck in solving the problem.

Well I noticed the home icons gamma thing a few days after I bought the iPad, that's why I googled it and found this thread. I don't know, maybe it's really unnoticeable to some people, I tend to be really picky when it comes to technology; and I don't really care if it's going on on all 4th gen iPads of just a few, all I want to know is if there's a fix for this or if Apple is aware of it. I mean, faulty batch somewhere in the US, faulty batch in Romania...there's bound to be others somewhere else. And yes it does become noticeable when watching dark videos, what I also notice is that something else happens with the image, like some sort of grain reduction filter is suddenly being applied to them. Just take a close look at the green rating screen at the beginning of trailers, if you look at the characters they gradually become pastey.... And that doesn't happen on iPad 2. Anyway. I don't want to get into this too deep, I just wanted to know if mine was faulty, but if there are other people that have the same issue, not to mention other stores in Bucharest, I rest my case.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I'm on the phone to Apple right now, so will update as soon as I hear something. It's a bit mental this has been going on since November with no resolution.

StevenB14

macrumors regular
May 23, 2012
Scotland
I also believe it affects all iPads. Correct me if I am wrong but no-one has yet to say they have tried it on numerous iPads and some have the issue while the others don't.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I also believe it affects all iPads. Correct me if I am wrong but no-one has yet to say they have tried it on numerous iPads and some have the issue while the others don't.

There's really no point arguing with people who say theirs doesn't have the issue. There really isn't. Heck, I wish I could be one of those people who don't notice it! And careful: It doesn't affect all iPads. Just iPad 4! :)

An update on the phone call to Apple: Spoke to a senior advisor. Apple have the history of my conversations/video uploads/documentation regarding the problem with the iPad 4. I should hear back tomorrow from the engineering team. I'll believe it when I hear it, so to speak, but that's all the info I have right now.

Kojaraty

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2013
For all who say that this problem is not on all iPad 4 devices, i went to Apple store and explained the issue and they gave me a replacement. I went back home and tried the replacement and the problem is still there. I tried a couple of iPads on the store and they all have the same issue. If the problem is not solved by an update soon i will be selling my iPad for sure.

Mays

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2013
Same Issue

I have the same issue with my 4th gen. I noticed it about a month after receiving it. I have received two replacements and they have all had the same issue. I've have been in contact with AppleCare Senior Tech after emailing Tim Cook. They have had me go through several process such as sending logs from the iPad for the time period when i recreated the issues. This is a huge problem and they definitely need to do something about.

I know it's a hassle but everyone who has this problem should be contacting Apple.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
For all who say that this problem is not on all iPad 4 devices, i went to Apple store and explained the issue and they gave me a replacement. I went back home and tried the replacement and the problem is still there. I tried a couple of iPads on the store and they all have the same issue. If the problem is not solved by an update soon i will be selling my iPad for sure.

It's a software issue, so you should expect that your new iPad would have the same problem.

edwrap

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2012
Here's a clip where this enhancement actually makes the video look better, or at least the details more discernible. With the interface showing, you can hardly make out anything, the contrast being so bad. Hide it and you'll actually see the old man lying there.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gs21vq5ds9o55xc/example5.mp4

I suspect that for as often as the contrast looks wrong in a video, it's also improving an equal, if not more, amount of other dark scenes.

smileyface

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2013
I don't think the vast majority of users will notice let alone care that the icons are a bit blurry for 2 seconds after switching from movies to the home screen.That's hardly a serious fault.

What I have trouble replicating is the contrast pumping up and down in virtually every movie with dark scenes making them unwatchable.I have watched videos from YouTube and from DVDs and nothing.The only one example that I have come across is in this thread.

I am not saying this pumping up and down in all movies does not exist.Perhaps there are some units that does this but I am just reporting that it doesn't happen in mine.

Last edited by a moderator:

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
Here's a clip where this enhancement actually makes the video look better, or at least the details more discernible. With the interface showing, you can hardly make out anything, the contrast being so bad. Hide it and you'll actually see the old man lying there.

I suspect that for as often as the contrast looks wrong in a video, it's also improving an equal, if not more, amount of other dark scenes.

Ok, watching that at 2AM in a dark room was... kinda creepy.

MacKid

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2003

I'm going to have nightmares.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.