Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krauser

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
I doubt it.

And for those of you who don't follow this sort of thing, modern Chevys are surprisingly sophisticated.
My 2012 Equinox begs to differ. It has the "premium" pioneer sound system in it and it does nothing but refuse to recognize my iPhone (often while changing or listening to songs) and sometimes won't even connect to my phone at all. It pops and crackles and distorts audio when scrolling through artists and songs as well. The system in my Altima is flawless by comparison. A friend of mine does have a Spark though and the bluetooth audio streaming and interface is quite nice, especially for such a cheap car. I just can't for the life of me understand how Chevy can ship a vehicle twice as expensive with technology that's so crippled and flawed in comparison.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only thing the auto-makers have to do here is add a button that tells the iPhone to launch Siri. Is that right?

I just find it odd that they're talking about this like its some new complicated technology that the car makers had to figure out. Heck, it seems like a simple firmware update could add this to any current car that has Bluetooth.

But nah, we'll just milk it by "rolling it out" in select models as a premium feature over the next 5 years.

bilboa

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
I don't get it. Everything on the list of features, with the exception of the screen not lighting up, seems like something Siri already does. In that case all this "Eyes Free" amounts to is adding a button to the car to trigger the iPhone's voice recognition, something every Bluetooth headset can already do. Am I missing something?

Edit: Just noticed that Small White Car said the same thing two posts up.

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
I would rather walk 12 miles through a snow storm than drive either of those cars.

As someone who follows the car industry pretty closely, I'd suggest giving them a try. Your comment isn't really applicable anymore.

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Apparently GM has run out of names for their cheap cars. Spark and Sonic? Are they serious? Those are better than trying to sell the No-Va in Latin America but not by much.

Other great GM names that turned out to be mostly prophetic of failure:

No-Va GM spent millions advertising this in Latin America
Citation Plagued by bugs which probably saved many lives
Chevette plastic gears in the tranny sounded great as they ground to bits
Chevelle
Corsica (See Beretta)
Beretta (see Corsica)
Catera "Great European Styling" by a team clearly pissed off at GM
Aztek - a car so ugly that one warms to the toilet seat grille of the Edsel
LaCrosse (ask anyone in Quebec)
Fiero - plastic cars, known to catch fire.
6000SUX (just wanted to see who remembers the movie)
Impact (Johnny Carson said the next model would be called the 10 car collision)
Lumina
Cavalier
Corvair unsafe at any speed
Monza
Vega unsleeved aluminum engine, good for 20k, 40k if you added Motor Honey
Allante

And....(drum roll, please), the worst thing ever belched out of GM, The Cadillac Cimarron, a Chevy Cavalier with Caddy badging.

curmudgeon32

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
Cool. More crap for people to distract themselves with instead of paying attention to what's happening on the road.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Wait, so the title of this thread says Chevy Spark and Sonic are "First" cars to get Siri Eyes Free, but at the same time, it says Chevy did not specify when.
And then at the bottom, it says Honda already promised Siri Eyes Free later in 2013.

In other words, the Honda lineup may be first instead.
Can we get more accurate timing on when LG's head unit used in those GMK subcompact will get the Siri Eyes Free mode? (BTW, those head units are still so buggy especially with the BringGo nav app.)

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I would rather walk 12 miles through a snow storm than drive either of those cars.

A-Men. Years ago when I discovered a PLASTIC CAM SPROCKET in a Cadillac 472 V8, clearly designed sabotage to make the car fail, I swore GM could never GIVE me a car even if they paid the license tax on it. No way. No how.

Death's too good for 'em! :eek:

----------

anyone know if bmw plans to roll this in? They support iPhone pretty well.

BMW will add any electronic goodie that costs a lot to fix. (water cooled alternator, $1400, moving lens headlights, $3800)

jaysedai

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2003
Hrmm.... What about the Volt. It comes with myLink. Hopefully they just neglected to mention it.

Xarthan

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
my subie already does that, except I have to press the phone's home button instead of a steering wheel.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
Apparently GM has run out of names for their cheap cars. Spark and Sonic? Are they serious? Those are better than trying to sell the No-Va in Latin America but not by much.

Chevelle
Corsica (See Beretta)
Beretta (see Corsica)
Lumina
Cavalier
Monza
Allante

And....(drum roll, please), the worst thing ever belched out of GM, The Cadillac Cimarron, a Chevy Cavalier with Caddy badging.

I googled them all, simply horrible

blacktape242

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Forget Chevy, i will never own and american car company's car....ever!

Give me Asian or European car with this and im happy!

----------

Hrmm.... What about the Volt. It comes with myLink. Hopefully they just neglected to mention it.

the volt (besides the MPG) is simply awful! My dad has one and its just awful!
cheap inside and out.

Justinf79

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2009
Oregon

Chevelle
Corsica (See Beretta)
Beretta (see Corsica)
Lumina
Cavalier
Monza
Allante

You can add the Chevy Celebrity to that list. Had a '86 as my first car. They had a horrid problem with the engine when they had a tendency to cut in and out so severely they'd break the motor mounts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.