Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phased

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
so, i cloned my HDD to an SSD using superduper. clone went just fine as far as i can tell.

then installed the SSD to my macbook, moving the HDD to the optical bay drive. made the SSD the bootable drive. all good.

i haven't yet erased the HDD in case something does go wrong. what i did do just yesterday is trash the applications / library / system folders from the HDD (they're still sitting in the trash) and i've run into an issue or two.

i doubt i'll be explaining this correctly.. but it seems the OS is still making some reference to the files on the HDD. for example, when i right-click a jpeg and 'open with' photoshop, it will tell me:

You can’t open the application “Adobe Photoshop CS4.app” because it’s in the Trash.

yes, the one from the HDD is in the trash but the one on my SSD is working just fine. why is it trying to reference the HDD still? also get similar messages from other applications saying:

This application has moved from the location in which it was it was originally installed. Some settings need to be repaired.

i've verified the SSD through disk utility without issue. perhaps i'm missed a step here altogether with the clone process. was i supposed to use migration assistant at some point?

perhaps if i erase the HDD altogether these problems will simply go away but i'm not game enough to do that quite yet..

thanks for any help!

Last edited:

kpgh554

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2011
iver england
so, i cloned my HDD to an SSD using superduper. clone went just fine as far as i can tell.

then installed the SSD to my macbook, moving the HDD to the optical bay drive. made the SSD the bootable drive. all good.

i haven't yet erased the HDD in case something does go wrong. what i did do just yesterday is trash the applications / library / system folders from the HDD (they're still sitting in the trash) and i've run into an issue or two.

i doubt i'll be explaining this correctly.. but it seems the OS is still making some reference to the files on the HDD. for example, when i right-click a jpeg and 'open with' photoshop, it will tell me:

You can’t open the application “Adobe Photoshop CS4.app” because it’s in the Trash.

yes, the one from the HDD is in the trash but the one on my SSD is working just fine. why is it trying to reference the HDD still? also get similar messages from other applications saying:

This application has moved from the location in which it was it was originally installed. Some settings need to be repaired.

i've verified the SSD through disk utility without issue. perhaps i'm missed a step here altogether with the clone process. was i supposed to use migration assistant at some point?

perhaps if i erase the HDD altogether these problems will simply go away but i'm not game enough to do that quite yet..

thanks for any help!

Have you tried right click eject the hdd so run on ssd only then try apps.mind you will have to put trashed apps back in hdd first. then if run ok, erase or whatever the hdd

phased

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Have you tried right click eject the hdd so run on ssd only then try apps.mind you will have to put trashed apps back in hdd first. then if run ok, erase or whatever the hdd

^ thanks, yes, i tried that before and it seems to work just fine. but it doesn't answer why the OS is still referencing the HDD, when the SSD is the bootable drive with all the applications included. perhaps it's just confused..

kpgh554

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2011
iver england
^ thanks, yes, i tried that before and it seems to work just fine. but it doesn't answer why the OS is still referencing the HDD, when the SSD is the bootable drive with all the applications included. perhaps it's just confused..

or maybe finder only looks for original files not cloned ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.