Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
How many times has Apple patched jail breaks? You have to wonder. I mean I'm sure that Apple would know about jailbreaking. Jailbreaking appears to be legitamste and acceptable as covered by the media. So do they support it?

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
No - they patch the exploits in the next release.

Except they don't.
Jailbreaking doesn't hurt Apple that badly. As long as they patch the jailbreak in a timely manner nobody really cares. Going ******* and squeezing out a jailbreak patch isn't what Apple does.

Apple can void your warranty for jailbreaking.

Yeah yeah, and Apple can buy Google twice over. Apple can do a lot of things. Apple Apple Apple. Apple. Apple.

Every jailbreaker who isn't 12 years old knows that a simple restore is enough to satisfy the geniuses in the local Apple store with regards to the jailbreak question.

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
Perhaps apple quietly support it. It's a good stance for them - having the JB means more customers for them whilst saying it's not allowed les them void warranty, which allows them to avoid a lot of cost for them replacing/repairing devices (even though yes, you can just restore). It's a win win for apple.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Except they don't.
Jailbreaking doesn't hurt Apple that badly. As long as they patch the jailbreak in a timely manner nobody really cares. Going ******* and squeezing out a jailbreak patch isn't what Apple does.

Yeah yeah, and Apple can buy Google twice over. Apple can do a lot of things. Apple Apple Apple. Apple. Apple.

Every jailbreaker who isn't 12 years old knows that a simple restore is enough to satisfy the geniuses in the local Apple store with regards to the jailbreak question.

Apple is not fighting back against jailbreaking. And the tech blogs run it as normal stories. It's just an everyday kind of thing.

It's not like it's a secret. Everyone knows about it, even the carriers know about it. Developers too.

It's not really prohibited.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Apple simply patches up the exploits that open doors for jailbreaking. That's basically it.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
And with each ios release, the amount of time it takes to jb increases. The patches are becoming harder and harder to hack. It's a game between the jailbreaker and Apple. Apple will never be able to stop it, but they can make it more and more difficult to do, that they would love to get to the point where a new ios comes out just as the old ios gets jailbroken.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Except they don't.

So when have they not patched a vulnerability? 6.1.1 is a different story cause it was designed to fix an issue and was probably already out, but other than that, the vulnerabilities used have always been patched in the next iOS release.

Unless it's a bootrom exploit which they can't patch. No user land exploit has lasted more than one version.

ntegra

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2010
Apple should be happy. Something tells me jailbreak boosts sales, even if its a very small percentage. I've always wanted an ipad and I'm considering it even more now that a jailbreak is available.

robdam1001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
For me anyway, a jailbroken iPhone enhances an already excellent mobile phone. If I didn't have the ability to jb I would have to take a serious look at an alternative phone and OS.

Reactions: blueflower

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Perhaps, if by "letting us jailbreak" you mean "quickly patching all jailbreak exploits while making use of increasingly-complex security measures designed to make it ever more difficult to jailbreak but still failing to create flawless, perfectly-secure software that cannot be jailbroken."

----------

Apple is not fighting back against jailbreaking.

Clearly you do not know what you're talking about. What do you think SHSH BLObs were for? APTicket? The blocking of Cydia's servers? The closing of every userland exploit ever discovered? The stripping of the baseband and bootrom to the bare bones to remove targets for attack and exploitation? Memory address randomization? Code signing? Blocking downgrades?

Did you realize that it took no less than five exploitable weaknesses in the iPhone's code to create evasion? We used to have jailbreaks that relied on just one exploit. That's how much Apple is fighting back.

scyap

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2010
Actually if they patch & block stuff like AppSync or iAP ***, I'd be happy already...
And they'd have almost nothing to lose right?

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
Except they don't.

I've seen 8 year olds with hacked ipod touches they jailbreaked themselves

jinkoh

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
I wish
iPhones are gimped. Without a JB I wouldn't have bought this iPhone 5 about two weeks ago. I finally saw that a JB was coming out and upgraded.

Snide

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
Without a JB I wouldn't have bought this iPhone 5 about two weeks ago. I finally saw that a JB was coming out and upgraded.

Ditto. I was using an iPhone 4 with a smashed screen for 4 months waiting for an iPhone 5 jailbreak. I upgraded the day evasi0n was released.

On another note, last night I exchanged the iPhone 5 due to a small manufacturing defect. Before I brought it in I hid all the obvious JB tweaks and apps. However, I forgot about SBSettings, and the window dropped down while I was explaining what was wrong with it. :eek:
Then a minute later I got a text in lock screen mode and the BiteSMS window popped up. Doh!
The two employees helping me said nothing; I'm sure they see Jailbroken iPhones all the time.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
"But Mr. Genius I read on the internets that jailbreaking was cool and that you'd look the other way as long as I restored it... what do you MEAN they changed the policy and now my warranty actually is void???"

It's absolutely true they aren't enforcing the voiding of warranties YET. What makes anyone so sure that if something BAD happens (either malicious or just through piracy) that they won't start???

Think they can't tell you jailbroke just because you restored? Use iCloud? Sync to iTunes? Use the AppStore?

They know, Apple just chooses to not enforce it.

They 100% do NOT support or condone it just because of that lol...

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
How many times has Apple patched jail breaks? You have to wonder. I mean I'm sure that Apple would know about jailbreaking. Jailbreaking appears to be legitamste and acceptable as covered by the media. So do they support it?

Yes. The jailbreak team are actually apple employees who do this in their spare time.

Those who participated were given company stock and a trip to fiji as a reward; with the understanding they keep their jailbroken iphone turned on at all times might tim cook brick his phone and need directions to dfu.

drenline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
I could only sell my past iPhones/iPads only if it was jailbroken. (I've had every model of both devices)

Thank you, jailbreaks!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.