Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Evilmonkee42

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2009
I was experiencing major battery drain after updating to OS6.1 and jailbreaking. I was under the impression that update 6.1.1 that Apple rushed out was meant to address this issue.

I have no updated to 6.1.1 and jailbroke again with evasi0n 1.3. Battery is still draining horribly.

Anyone else in this situation?

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
I did a DFU restore as new to 6.1.1 and used evasion 1.3 to jailbreak. And my battery is much better than before when i was on. I don't know what the deal was on 6.1 but boy was it atrocious for me. Finally relived to have my battery back to how it was on 5.1.1. Too bad the 4S is one of the most disappointing iPhone battery life's ever to begin with. But regardless, I'm stable again, same life as 5.1.1, and couldn't be happier. When I was on 6.1, my phone would be around 35% after 4-5 hours with hardly zero use. Yesterday I had a few texts and read a couple threads on MacRumors during lunch break at work. My battery died on my way home from work yesterday and I didn't use it after lunch except to check the time. Also, my phone never rang yesterday. Comoare that to today and its like i have a brand new battery or something. Right this second, my usage is 3 hours and 57 mins and my standby time is 15 hours and 25 mins. I still have 41% remaining battery life.

Edit: I typed the wrong remaining battery life. I accidentally typed 46% when I meant 41%.

Maverik3

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Meridian Idaho
I was having the same problem to I restored and re-jailbroke it and set up from new and did not restore from back up. And it has been just dandy ever since, still not as good as it was on 5.1.1 but I can make it through the day now

whiskeyvol

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
i experienced significant drain yesterday for some reason. found something online that said the podcast app can have an affect on battery life. i deleted the app, ran icleaner, and have had great battery life since the change. looking at nearly 2hrs of standby, about an hour of actual use, and my phone says 100%

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
After updating to 6.1.1 on my 4S it seems my battery is better than with 6.1.

Not sure if it's how I am using it, I was jailbroken with 6.1 and am with 6.1.1 and have all the same apps.

Safari seems snappier too.;)

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
After updating to 6.1.1 on my 4S it seems my battery is better than with 6.1.

Not sure if it's how I am using it, I was jailbroken with 6.1 and am with 6.1.1 and have all the same apps.

Safari seems snappier too.;)

It's funny you mention safari feeling snappier because I feel the same way too. It's such a better experience for me, that I've gone back to using it as my default browser. The bonus of going back to safari full time, I was able to remove the browser changer tweak from my phone since it was now unnecessary. On 5.1.1 I had been switching back and forth between chrome and dolphin as my main browser but not any more. Boy does safari feel snappier and more responsive than I remember it being. I was so surprised and happy by this that I even dusted off the old Fullscreen for Safari package to maximize my safari experience. I still have dolphin and chrome installed though because its the easiest way for me to quickly push open tabs from my desktop PC to my iPhone. Plus Dolphin has the ability to download any file from the Internet and that comes in mighty handy when I'm not home near my PC.

Qaanol

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
I even dusted off the old Fullscreen for Safari package to maximize my safari experience.
I’d be interested to hear what your gesture setup for FSfS looks like.

Mine is:

Pull-to-action
Top (swipe down) = Show Bookmarks
Left (swipe right) = Back
Right (swipe left) = New tab
Bottom (swipe up) = Toggle fullscreen

Multitouch
2 finger swipe up = Scroll to top
2 finger swipe down = Scroll to bottom
2 or 3 finger swipe left = Back
2 or 3 finger swipe right = Forward

Taps
Tap-longtap = Show ActionPopUp
Tap-tap-longtap = Toggle fullscreen
Triple-tap = Show tabs
2-finger-double-tap = New tab
3-finger tap = Reload page

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
I’d be interested to hear what your gesture setup for FSfS looks like.

Mine is:

Pull-to-action
Top (swipe down) = Show Bookmarks
Left (swipe right) = Back
Right (swipe left) = New tab
Bottom (swipe up) = Toggle fullscreen

Multitouch
2 finger swipe up = Scroll to top
2 finger swipe down = Scroll to bottom
2 or 3 finger swipe left = Back
2 or 3 finger swipe right = Forward

Taps
Tap-longtap = Show ActionPopUp
Tap-tap-longtap = Toggle fullscreen
Triple-tap = Show tabs
2-finger-double-tap = New tab
3-finger tap = Reload page

Ironically I don't use any swipe gestures lol. I'm using an iPhone, what about you? I hate all iPhone multi finger gestures. I'm constantly on my feet moving and doing multiple things at once so using two hands for gestures is too cumbersome. Plus I have huge hands lol.

So on Fullscreen for Safari, I have single tap and hold set to open the Popup Menu where I have all my commonly used buttons set up and their also set up in certain locations. So on the right side of the menu is where I have go back and go forward, forward tab and back tab, all located right underneath where my right thumb activates the menu. This way I don't have to reach around for the commonly used buttons. You get the idea. Now the only other toggle I have setup is the triple tap to toggle Fullscreen. And that's it! I'm constantly in Fullscreen and I only use my right thumb to control everything. Every other feature is turned off or set to None. Plus I have had poor stability and fluidity when I have a bunch of different swipes and settings configured. This way, it's a fairly lightweight setup and things remain as snappy and quick as stock safari.

Edit: I also love how Yllier added the tiny buttons in the bottom for go back, go forward, and toggle Fullscreen. Those are very handy. And I love how even though when in Fullscreen mode and the status bar is hidden and the space being used by safari, I love how you can still tap the top of the screen to automatically scroll all the way to the top. Very handy.

Edit: lol sorry I remembered one other thing. I do have 3 "pull to" settings configured. Pull to the left is to go back one tab, pull to the right is to go one tab forward, and the top pull to setting is configured for Reload (which I hardly ever use). The bottom one is disabled since I was constantly accidentally engaging it when I didn't want it to be engaged. It was setup to close the tab. Now I just use the close tab button in the Menu Popup. That menu does basically everything I need. It makes using safari in Fullscreen extremely manageable for one handed surfing.

Last edited:

Qaanol

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
I also love how Yllier added the tiny buttons in the bottom for go back, go forward, and toggle Fullscreen. Those are very handy.
Those are stock iOS 6 features. Safari by default has a “full screen” mode in landscape orientation, where those HUD elements display.

The new version of FSfS thankfully provides a way to hide those buttons, which I utilize because I do not want any buttons visible in fullscreen mode.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Those are stock iOS 6 features. Safari by default has a “full screen” mode in landscape orientation, where those HUD elements display.

The new version of FSfS thankfully provides a way to hide those buttons, which I utilize because I do not want any buttons visible in fullscreen mode.

I never use safari in landscape. Those buttons are displaying in portrait. If they're stock but only in landscape, then how are they appearing in portrait?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.