Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
What you want and wish for Apple could care less... Look at all of us right now, suffering Apple's wrath.. While I am hoping for a 2013 Mac Pro.. personally, I don't even use my 6-core to its full potential.

If you are not using your current Mac Pro to its full potential, how are you suffering? And why is Apple angry with you?

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
i'd go console for sure. No issues playing everything is optimised for it. Look at how the PS3 on ancient technology performs today (crysis 3, uncharted 3). The ps4 will be unreal and for the faction of cost vs mac pro.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
I am using it as a server machine and print server for all my networked machines.. I do video encoding, but not enough for me to say I am using it to its full potential. I do use multiple virtualization sessions using Fusion and Parallels.

I am not suffering, but for what I use my machine for should a 2013 Mac Pro come out I doubt I would get any real benefit from it.. and if the new machine is a lot smaller and not as upgradable, then the writing will be on the wall that Apple at that point has FAILED the Pro users. Apple isn't angry with me.. I just don't believe in buying a new machine every year.. 6-cores is a lot of power and I can run multiple sessions of Windows with such power, but I don't.

If you are not using your current Mac Pro to its full potential, how are you suffering? And why is Apple angry with you?

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
In other words, buying a video card off the shelf at Best Buy does NOT mean it will work in a Mac since it is not supported via EFI BOOT. Makes perfect sense to me.

It looks like PowerColor has actually announced that they'll be shipping UEFI GOP cards. Apple supports EFI UGA, but not the GOP profile. With any luck, Powercolor will support the UGA profile as well (which wouldn't be that hard, but is less likely), or Apple will add UEFI GOP support (much more likely.)

Edit: I'm reading OS X supports GOP? If so, it might be possible these new Powercolor cards would work out of the box. I saw a thread on Netkas with no conclusions.

Edit 2: Yep, it looks like even though Apple isn't using uEFI, they're already using the uEFI video mode (GOP).

Edit 3: It looks like the Mac Pro is the last machine left on UGA, probably because it hasn't been updated. I'd expect the next update would move to GOP, which should add compatibility for the uEFI cards that are starting to be pushed out. Every other Mac is on GOP.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.