Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
http://www.androidauthority.com/nexus-7-on-android-4-2-2-10-hours-battery-life-instead-8-155871/

"Google has updated the them to reflect better battery life for the device, with the Nexus 7 now capable to offer “up to 10 hours of active user” instead of the previous eight hours."

There is hope.

And here's the unofficial changelog so far:

-More secured ADB
-Bluetooth audio streaming bugs fix
-Download notification now shows remaining time
-You can toggle WiFi and Bluetooth on/off by long-pressing them in Quick Settings
-Performance enhancements
-New notification sounds (wireless charging and low battery)

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
http://www.androidauthority.com/nexus-7-on-android-4-2-2-10-hours-battery-life-instead-8-155871/

"Google has updated the them to reflect better battery life for the device, with the Nexus 7 now capable to offer “up to 10 hours of active user” instead of the previous eight hours."

There is hope.

And here's the unofficial changelog so far:

-More secured ADB
-Bluetooth audio streaming bugs fix
-Download notification now shows remaining time
-You can toggle WiFi and Bluetooth on/off by long-pressing them in Quick Settings
-Performance enhancements
-New notification sounds (wireless charging and low battery)
You don't say :eek: lol. Believe it or not, I know 100% of what I've been talking about for the last week lol. ;)

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I just reverted my nexus 7 back to stock to give 4.2.2 a whirl and things seem good initially.

Waiting for the OTA link for the nexus 4 to be found stop I can sideload that on to my Nevis 4 once the OTA is released.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Still don't have it.....this is where I really love Apple's update patterns.....

Oh well, worth the wait for the better battery life!

You can get it from an OTA or through system update in your phone. Sometimes OTA's are fast and sometimes they arent and its only been a few hours. Takes the system update a little bit to work as well. Ive used both ways.

With Samsung's you can also get it through Kies but dont think there is something like that with the Nexus line but really dont know. You can probably also do a Google search and find it someplace right now if you must have it.

I found a place to get it for my Nexus 7 but im going to wait to get through the phone update. I dont know if ill get it OTA with a device that only works on Wi-Fi.

Last edited:

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I've gone for the manual update route.
screenyxy.png

Time will tell if the battery has improved. I do hope it has!

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
4.2.2 is out for the N4, so does it actually improve the battery life of the phone, or were all those people swearing it would full of crap?

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
4.2.2 is out for the N4, so does it actually improve the battery life of the phone, or were all those people swearing it would full of crap?

Since now I can talk about it... Yes it does indeed improve the battery life significantly. The main thing I have found to be different in 4.2.2, is the battery life. I can EASILY make it through a day and have plenty battery remaining. I have had days where my talk time was around 2.5 hours, and my screen time was 2 hrs, and the battery lasted 17 hours. With medium to heavy use, my battery still easily makes it to 15 - 17 hours. A light use day now can easily have the battery last 24 hours. All in all, the update isn't a major change. There are a few things like the battery charging sound and the quick toggles (long press to do it), but overall the most significant thing the update brings is acceptable battery life. Whereas before, battery life was the Nexus 4's weakness, it is now something of a strength. It's also worth noting that the screen sensitivity issue has been addressed too.

aeboi

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2009
Bay Area
how much screen time are you guys getting after the update?

I just ordered a N4 with a good discount that I couldn't pass up on, so I hope it's as good as they say. My expectations might be a tad high since I'm using the Note 2 also.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Since now I can talk about it... Yes it does indeed improve the battery life significantly. The main thing I have found to be different in 4.2.2, is the battery life. I can EASILY make it through a day and have plenty battery remaining. I have had days where my talk time was around 2.5 hours, and my screen time was 2 hrs, and the battery lasted 17 hours. With medium to heavy use, my battery still easily makes it to 15 - 17 hours. A light use day now can easily have the battery last 24 hours. All in all, the update isn't a major change. There are a few things like the battery charging sound and the quick toggles (long press to do it), but overall the most significant thing the update brings is acceptable battery life. Whereas before, battery life was the Nexus 4's weakness, it is now something of a strength. It's also worth noting that the screen sensitivity issue has been addressed too.

Were you under NDA or something? How come no one else is mentioning this massive increase in battery life and is not mentioned under the change logo? Android police has the full change log and it doesn't say anything about improving battery life.

Opstech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
California
I'm a Nexus 4 and iPhone 5 user. I love both phones, but I'm having issues with my Nexus 4. I would use my iPhone 5's sim which is a AT&T LTE SIM card in my Nexus 4. Right out of the box I had to change the APN settings to get the data and MMS working properly. Once I got text and data to work, I wasn't able to send or receive a text with a picture. It would just say sending. While I was going to make the exception, the bars would go grey. It show'd full bars but I couldn't get data. Calls only. Like the radio was disabled. I knew if I was to go to AT&T and let them know, they would most likely want to change my data or switch to a non-iPhone data plan. I'm very frustrated and want to use my Nexus 4, but I guess I'm having to go back to my iPhone 5 for now. I had the galaxy nexus and switched my sim from my iPhone 4S to the GNex all the time and had no problem. I don't know the deal. If anyone has the same issue, I would like you to chime in.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
I received my Nexus 4 Wednesday night, UPS delivered it super late. Thought it was going to be delivered tomorrow because of how late it was. Got it setup, tried it with T-Mobile and AT&T. Seems T-Mobile flies. Speedtest app shows between 17-22Mbps compared to about 5-6 on AT&T.

Most od ut is pretty easy to figure out settings wise. My understanding was that there was a built in function to block certain calls. I'm not finding this if it is possible.

Do I need an app for this or what? Thanks

Edit: I'm seeing an H above the signal bars a lot of the time now and sometimes just 3G. Anyone else getting this on T-Mobile?

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I received my Nexus 4 Wednesday night, UPS delivered it super late. Thought it was going to be delivered tomorrow because of how late it was. Got it setup, tried it with T-Mobile and AT&T. Seems T-Mobile flies. Speedtest app shows between 17-22Mbps compared to about 5-6 on AT&T.

Most od ut is pretty easy to figure out settings wise. My understanding was that there was a built in function to block certain calls. I'm not finding this if it is possible.

Edit: I'm seeing an H above the signal bars a lot of the time now and sometimes just 3G. Anyone else getting this on T-Mobile?

To block calls of a specific person, go to the people app, tap on the contact you want blocked. then in the top right there will be an ellipse (three dots), tap on that and select "all calls to voicemail).

whenever they call, their calls will automatically be dropped to voicemail.

Greg.

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2010
London, UK

That's surely just showing you're on HSDPA..

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Were you under NDA or something? How come no one else is mentioning this massive increase in battery life and is not mentioned under the change logo? Android police has the full change log and it doesn't say anything about improving battery life.

Nobody else has mentioned it because they haven't had it long enough to know. I have had plenty of time to put this update through its paces, and am very familiar with the battery life increases it brings. As for changelogs, there are many changes that were made. It's some of those changes that translate into the increased battery life.

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
I'm not familiar with how Google rolls these updates out. IS it likely to become available in the US today? I assume the people that are getting it already are elsewhere.

I'm really looking forward to some improvements to N4 out of this. I had been using my N4 primarily as a hotspot, and using my N7 for screen use and GPS. Now that my N7 is getting retired, I'm running into more of the N4's flaws. Using the N4 as a GPS is a serious battery drainer -- you need to have it plugged in for all but the shortest trips. Battery life in general seems to have taken a serious hit for some reason, and I'm hoping the update will fix it, rather than me having to dig around and try and improve something that really "just work".
Also the N4's user interface seemed relatively smooth using it next to the N7. Now that I'm using it next to an iPod Touch, I'd really like to see some of the choppiness disappear.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

davidjacobs21

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
So i got my nexus 4 yesterday and Ive always wanted to root an android phone and install a custom rom. So i unlocked the bootloader and rooted it pretty easy. I want to flash AOKP rom. i downloaded the rom file and google apps from their website on the phone. I went into CWM recovery and installed those files from the sd card, and it says its complete. I reboot the device and it just sits on the nexus logo screen. I dont know what i did wrong. Anybody got any ideas

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
So i got my nexus 4 yesterday and Ive always wanted to root an android phone and install a custom rom. So i unlocked the bootloader and rooted it pretty easy. I want to flash AOKP rom. i downloaded the rom file and google apps from their website on the phone. I went into CWM recovery and installed those files from the sd card, and it says its complete. I reboot the device and it just sits on the nexus logo screen. I dont know what i did wrong. Anybody got any ideas

Did you wipe/reset the device before flashing the ROM and Google Apps? You also should have cleared the Cache and Dalvik Cache after flashing and before rebooting the phone.

Reboot into recovery (sorry, can't recall the button sequence for the Nexus 4), wipe/reset, flash ROM, flash Gapps, clear cache, clear Dalvik, reboot system. Hopefully that should set you straight--what I had to do after an unsuccessful install of Paranoid Android on one occasion.

davidjacobs21

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
yeah im pretty sure i did that but i want to try it again, but now when i go into recovery mode, CWM doesnt come up. I only see the android robot opened up with a exclamation mark on him. any idea what that is

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
yeah im pretty sure i did that but i want to try it again, but now when i go into recovery mode, CWM doesnt come up. I only see the android robot opened up with a exclamation mark on him. any idea what that is

That is stock recovery. You didn't actually flash CWM recovery. You must have booted into it (I prefer TWRP).

I would advise you to use the Nexus 4 toolkit from XDA and flash TWRP/CWM. Then you can install ROMs right on the device without needing to boot into a custom recovery with a PC or mac.

Michael

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
Jelly Bean 4.2.2 hit my Nexus 7 a little bit ago, still waiting on my Nexus 4 though. Clearing the Google Framework to try to force the update didn't work on the 4. I'll try again later.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Jelly Bean 4.2.2 hit my Nexus 7 a little bit ago, still waiting on my Nexus 4 though. Clearing the Google Framework to try to force the update didn't work on the 4. I'll try again later.

Carriers can delay the update. I'm assuming your n7 is wifi only?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.