Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carabrookelle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
I dropped my iphone 4s in a hot cup of tea the other day and at first the screen worked and everything but after it went completely blank then i took out my sim card and i still havent put it back in. now the screen is just black but it still makes sound and everything. i can even slide my finger over where the unlock thing is and i can heard it unlock. so the only thing wrong is that the screen wont come on. i put it in rice overnight the night i did it and i had it with me all day the day after without rice and i put it in rice again for 24 hours and just took it out a few hours ago and the screen still isnt working! can someone please help me!? :(

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
Try putting it in a rice bowl for 48 hours and see if that helps. Also, make sure the power is off. That's about all you can do. If it doesn't work, you'll need a replacement phone.

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
I dropped my iphone 4s in a hot cup of tea the other day and at first the screen worked and everything but after it went completely blank then i took out my sim card and i still havent put it back in. now the screen is just black but it still makes sound and everything. i can even slide my finger over where the unlock thing is and i can heard it unlock. so the only thing wrong is that the screen wont come on. i put it in rice overnight the night i did it and i had it with me all day the day after without rice and i put it in rice again for 24 hours and just took it out a few hours ago and the screen still isnt working! can someone please help me!? :(

Sounds like you've killed your display.

I hope you live near an Apple store and have a few hundred $$ ready.

S

syd430

Your iPhone has probably about 0% survival, even if it managed to turn on at a later date. I couldn't imagine the type of corrosion extremely hot tea would do to the internals over the long run.

Cut your losses and replace it ASAP. You don't want it to die unexpectedly when you need it the most.

S

syd430

Also, if yes to the above question regarding milk, are we talking skim or full-cream here?

cruzmisl

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
In all seriousness, when something like this happens, you put it in dry rice for as long as you can before turning it on. Turning it on periodically to see if the rice does magic is not how this works. You need to give the device as much time as possible to dry out so that components don't short.

carabrookelle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
okay well the tea was very hot, hahaha and there was no milk in it, just honey;) anyway, so the display is totally ruined even if i can still like touch the screen and unlock the phone? because by accident i pressed play somehow and now i have music playing from it. so i have no idea what to do. and i dont live near an apple store, the closest one is a 2 hour ferry ride and a 2 hour car ride after that so do you think bringing it to an iphone repairer would help and do you think they would be able to replace the parts i need to get it working again? because the only thing thats gone is the display, not the touch on the screen or the sound or anything like that. thank you for all your help guys<3

oh and it was peppermint tea!

S

syd430

okay well the tea was very hot, hahaha and there was no milk in it, just honey;) anyway, so the display is totally ruined even if i can still like touch the screen and unlock the phone? because by accident i pressed play somehow and now i have music playing from it. so i have no idea what to do. and i dont live near an apple store, the closest one is a 2 hour ferry ride and a 2 hour car ride after that so do you think bringing it to an iphone repairer would help and do you think they would be able to replace the parts i need to get it working again? because the only thing thats gone is the display, not the touch on the screen or the sound or anything like that. thank you for all your help guys<3

oh and it was peppermint tea!

Believe me, it has no chance, even if it was able to turn on again. I wouldn't even bother trying to repair it. It will in all likelihood just die again sometime in the future. If you dropped it in water it could probably be repaired, but because it's a substance other than water, it would in all likelihood cause all sorts of problems over time. See reply #8 in this thread.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
I really dislike answers that don't help the OP. Please do the following: Put it in rice for at least 48 hours, then bake at 275 degrees for 1 hour and serve with fish.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012

A nice hot cuppa ice tea then, I see. That leaves my question of whether the OP is of British origin pointless, of course. No real Brit would ever dream of drinking let alone heating such an abomination of nature's finest. Yes, that may well have been of great importance to helping the OP.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I certainly feel for the OP as I've nearly dropped mine in a cup of tea whilst passing it over a table. It always pays to have your iPhone added to your home contents insurance with cover for accidental damage.
A nice hot cuppa ice tea then, I see. That leaves my question of whether the OP is of British origin pointless, of course. No real Brit would ever dream of drinking let alone heating such an abomination of nature's finest. Yes, that may well have been of great importance to helping the OP.
I was just trying to rack my brains as to whether there was a tea beginning with 'i'. Just a play on the Apple brand too. Hope they get it fixed :)

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
can someone please help me!? :(
Probably not. For any electronic device that gets wet the first step is always remove the power source and leave the device off until fully dried. Operating it wet will cause damage. Out of warranty replacement is probably your best bet at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.