Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Tempo AI is a startup that originated from the SRI International research center, which also spawned Siri. Today the company released its first iPhone app, Tempo Smart Calendar, which shares many features with personal assistant Siri.

The app utilizes artificial intelligence that analyzes iPhone data, including calendars, email, location, and contacts, to provide context-aware enhancements to meetings and appointments. It learns through user interactions to provide a better calendar experience.

temposmartcalendar.jpg

Using the data that it gleans from various applications on the iPhone, Tempo Smart Calendar offers up additional information for meetings such as driving directions, contact information, and related communications. Tempo Smart Calendar is designed to offer the following one tap functions within the app:
-send a pre-populated "running late" email or text
-dial into conference calls - Tempo handles the passcode
-get directions and nearby parking
-review emails that pertain to the event
-open related documents
-quickly reach attendees via phone, email or text
-find the exact location even if you only have "starbucks @ mission"
-browse attendees' LinkedIn
-connect to Foursquare and Yelp
Though the app is available in the App Store, the developers are currently restricting sign ups because of server load. A message that reads "Tempo is not accepting new registrations," has been popping up, but Tempo AI says that users are being given access to the app in batches. All users should have access by the end of the day.

Tempo Smart Calendar can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Siri's Cousin 'Tempo Smart Calendar' Uses iPhone Data to Provide Enhanced Calendar Experience

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
This is awesome. I really love the way it…

Wait. Not accepting registrations.

If only someone could create an app that helped design well-orchestrated app launches.

robdam1001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Don't feel left out, it's not really available in the States either. (See comments above.)

+1

If they can't do a proper launch, how are we supposed to expect them to handle the load on a daily basis?

-------------------------------------------------

ktstanley

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
Texas
The servers for the company have been swamped since the app was spotlighted today by Robert Scoble. They are trying to deal with the unanticipated swell of interested people.

Tempo Calendar

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
Thanks & Message from Tempo Smart Calendar

Thank you for the overwhelming interest in Tempo Smart Calendar. We realize that many are experiencing long wait times for Tempo registration and access. Please be patient as we bring all users on board. We are picking up speed with the registrations and are now taking 1000 users at a time through the Tempo process. We promise it will be worth the wait.

Thanks for the support!

http://tempo.ai

robdam1001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Thank you for the overwhelming interest in Tempo Smart Calendar. We realize that many are experiencing long wait times for Tempo registration and access. Please be patient as we bring all users on board. We are picking up speed with the registrations and are now taking 1000 users at a time through the Tempo process. We promise it will be worth the wait.

Thanks for the support!

http://tempo.ai

Thanks for checking in. When can the casual user expect to be "allowed" in?

Does the app support Exchange Calender? Multiple Calendars?

----------

Great interview and demo:

http://scobleizer.com/2013/02/13/siris-contextual-sister-tempo-blows-away-apples-iphone-calendar/

CJK

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
The Mountain Empire
They are mentioning 24 times the number of users they expected as the explanation for the ongoing "Connection Failed" messages.

Doesn't bode well for the back end infrastructure if they can't even handle registrations ...

The one star reviews are beginning to pile up on the App Store.

Overall, this is pretty much how NOT to launch an app.

CJK

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
The Mountain Empire
I deleted it. If the "launch" is an indication of how the company thinks or how the app functions, i want nothing to do with them.

I'm almost there myself. But the fascination of watching this train wreck of a launch has so far kept me checking back from time to time.

If I do get in soon, I'll be sure to post. The reviews I've read from actual users (NOT the ones from the press) haven't been particularly encouraging: long startup times, numerous crashes.

Sure sounds like incredibly poor stress-testing and completely inadequate infrastructure.

EDIT: They just posted this on their blog, announcing that they're turning off features for a while until they catch up. That really makes me eager to try out the now-crippled app!

Last edited:

carr13221

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2012
I concur, I'm underwhelmed. Much like the hype surrounding mailbox... Bait and switch, they release only to find that I am still 120k away from registration (at least I have the satisfaction? of 666k people in line behind me)

I'm almost there myself. But the fascination of watching this train wreck of a launch has so far kept me checking back from time to time.

If I do get in soon, I'll be sure to post. The reviews I've read from actual users (NOT the ones from the press) haven't been particularly encouraging: long startup times, numerous crashes.

Sure sounds like incredibly poor stress-testing and completely inadequate infrastructure.

EDIT: They just posted this on their blog, announcing that they're turning off features for a while until they catch up. That really makes me eager to try out the now-crippled app!

CJK

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
The Mountain Empire
I concur, I'm underwhelmed. Much like the hype surrounding mailbox... Bait and switch, they release only to find that I am still 120k away from registration (at least I have the satisfaction? of 666k people in line behind me)

I just read on their Twitter stream that processing linked email will take *WEEKS* even when/if one ever gets registered on their site and if/when they ever turn that feature back on.

No thanks. I'm out.

CJK

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
The Mountain Empire
No iPad support

As an added bonehead decision, Tempo doesn't support the iPad or multiple devices in general.

Seriously???

Pretty epic fail, IMHO.

robdam1001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Finally got it. Meh...it's OK so far. Negatives include inability to invite contacts to an event and no current date on the icon like the default iOS icon has.

ScreenShot2012-09-14at125839PM_zpsc3babb5e.png

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Perhaps Tempo and Mailbox are counting on limited registration as a way to generate buzz (well, also to control server load). And to Tempo's credit, you can at least "tour" the app.

Having said that, this is really poor user experience. A better experience would be pre-registration web page with approximate ETA (based on current queue) and not have the user install the app that does nothing in the mean time.

And I have a feeling this process only serves to build expectations. I really hope Tempo and Mailbox app lives up to my now super high expectations.

CJK

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
The Mountain Empire
Finally got it. Meh...it's OK so far. Negatives include inability to invite contacts to an event and no current date on the icon like the default iOS icon has.

I finally got in this afternoon. I completely agree with your "meh" assessment.

The mess that was the "add event" screen did it for me: I ended up deleting my account and the app. I'm back to Fantastical.

Really makes you wonder what these "reviewers" were testing -- I found the app totally underwhelming.

robdam1001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
I finally got in this afternoon. I completely agree with your "meh" assessment.

The mess that was the "add event" screen did it for me: I ended up deleting my account and the app. I'm back to Fantastical.

Really makes you wonder what these "reviewers" were testing -- I found the app totally underwhelming.

Exact same feelings here, lol. I HAVE to have the ability to invite attendees to scheduled events; deal breaker.

Davidgr

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2007
Armonk, NY
Tempo MEH!

Another problem with Tempo is the poor syncing between my iphone calendars and the Tempo server. Although I cancelled a meeting 6+ hours ago (and it is gone from the standard iphone calendar) it still shows up on Tempo. Plus I'm getting notifications to attend. I also don't see any way to do a manual sync.

There are too many other good calendars for iPhone. I don't need this one.

robdam1001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
I deleted Tempo. It's useless for me. If it can't do the basics then what's the point? Stock iOS calendar meets my needs. If Tempo ever adds some basic functionality then I'll take another look. All hype and no substance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.