Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OUB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
Paris, France
Hey I just feel like ranting on my imac experience so here goes:

So i order a 27" imac on the 17th of january only to find out in february that it was cancelled despite the fact that the apple already received my money.
So I call them up and everything was supposedly fixed without any delays.
I was supposed to receive my order today but it was still processing so I decide to call them again only to find out that my order has been delayed till the 2nd week of march (website still says I'm supposed to receive it today)

Thanks Apple for giving me a heads up :mad:
Sorry for my bad english

Hakone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2011
Southern California
Hey I just feel like ranting on my imac experience so here goes:

So i order a 27" imac on the 17th of january only to find out in february that it was cancelled despite the fact that the apple already received my money.
So I call them up and everything was supposedly fixed without any delays.
I was supposed to receive my order today but it was still processing so I decide to call them again only to find out that my order has been delayed till the 2nd week of march (website still says I'm supposed to receive it today)

Thanks Apple for giving me a heads up :mad:
Sorry for my bad english

Can you cancel at this point?

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Sorry to hear this as I can see you're anxious about getting your iMac. You should double check on your credit card/debit card. I don't think they charged you. They usually don't charge your card until the day it ships from their warehouse. They will do a pre-authorization to make sure funds are available but you probably weren't charged.

OUB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
Paris, France
Can you cancel at this point?

That's probably what's gonna happen but it sucks considering i already waited 4 weeks

----------

Sorry to hear this as I can see you're anxious about getting your iMac. You should double check on your credit card/debit card. I don't think they charged you. They usually don't charge your card until the day it ships from their warehouse. They will do a pre-authorization to make sure funds are available but you probably weren't charged.

I sent in a check ... Couldnt pay by another method so the money was already taken

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
Since when could you send a check? o_O

Think the other half paid with a check in the apple store a couple years ago for their laptop and had to jump through hoops to get it accepted not to mention everybody sort of staring at them wondering wtf. ;)

The issue is, Apple never (usually and generally) charges anything until the item has shipped. Some debit charges have been posted by people but even that's via electronic system... a physical check is... yeah, dunno.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
You mailed them a check? Man, you Canadians...;)

Hey it's not easy for us Canadians to get our Imacs...First we have to dig are way out of our igloo's...then we have to travel thousands of miles across the tundra with our dog sled teams...once we reach the first town,we have to stop for tim horton's coffee...then once we reach a town with a phone and tv,we have to stop and watch a couple hockey games (it's required for citizenship)...when we finally get the payment ready we realize our visa's are overdrawn (with massive order of put͡sɪn) so a check is the only way...EH! :rolleyes:

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
You mailed them a check? Man, you Canadians...;)

Hey it's not easy for us Canadians to get our Imacs...First we have to dig are way out of our igloo's...then we have to travel thousands of miles across the tundra with our dog sled teams...once we reach the first town,we have to stop for tim horton's coffee...then once we reach a town with a phone and tv,we have to stop and watch a couple hockey games (it's required for citizenship)...when we finally get the payment ready we realize our visa's are overdrawn (with massive order of put͡sɪn) so a check is the only way...EH! :rolleyes:

You two made made my day (outside is pissing down, but fill like is a sunny day)!

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I would be right on to apple or into the apple shop to compensate me for this, give it a go and lets see how generous they are feeling ;)

"Compensation" for what exactly? He pre-ordered with an estimated delivery date. Nothing was guaranteed.

:rolleyes:

Jonathan20022

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2013
"Compensation" for what exactly? He pre-ordered with an estimated delivery date. Nothing was guaranteed.

:rolleyes:

Is that how you see it? In a perfect world, these would be shipping the day you ordered them or in the case of a CTO, a week at most after you ordered it.

"Nothing was guaranteed" is such an ignorant statement, people must love you when you order something through retail. The moment you order something, and pay for it, it should be guaranteed. And I don't want to hear about the whole "they charge you once it ships though", it shouldn't matter. I worked in retail for awhile, when someone orders something we don't have in the store itself. They have to pay for it that same day, you have the right to demand compensation if the company does not meet it's expectations.

27" iMacs are saying 3-4 weeks to ship, and they give you an estimated delivery date. That means a timespan in which it WILL be delivered, not I guess it might be delivered then, don't be mad if it doesn't get delivered.

This is a business, they have to follow through with "estimates" and orders, and that's that.

And you all seriously don't know the meaning of pain when it comes to waiting for a product. Look up Bernie Rico Guitars Black Friday Run when you get a chance. One of the guys I know has thrown down 10k on 3 instruments, and he's going on 3 years waiting with no response from the builder. An extra month for an iMac is NOTHING, that's why I'm extremely patient with mine taking it's month to be built/delivered.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
"Nothing was guaranteed" is such an ignorant statement, people must love you when you order something through retail. The moment you order something, and pay for it, it should be guaranteed. And I don't want to hear about the whole "they charge you once it ships though", it shouldn't matter. I worked in retail for awhile, when someone orders something we don't have in the store itself. They have to pay for it that same day, you have the right to demand compensation if the company does not meet it's expectations.

27" iMacs are saying 3-4 weeks to ship, and they give you an estimated delivery date. That means a timespan in which it WILL be delivered, not I guess it might be delivered then, don't be mad if it doesn't get delivered.

This is a business, they have to follow through with "estimates" and orders, and that's that.

es·ti·mate
/ˈestəˌmāt/
Verb
Roughly calculate or judge the value, number, quantity, or extent of.
Noun
An approximate calculation or judgment of the value, number, quantity, or extent of something.

The fact that you "don't want to hear about it" doesn't negate the fact that it's true. And at what point did you misunderstand estimated delivery to mean will be delivered?? Check the definition of estimate that I've posted above.

Also, there's the small fact of the terms and conditions he agreed to upon purchasing the iMac:

We will use our reasonable endeavours to manufacture your Products within 14 days of the date of issue of your Order Confirmation. Estimated Product build times which are given at the time of placing an Order are estimates only and do not equate to delivery times. Actual Product build times may take longer than 30 days from the confirmation of your Order, and if your Order involves build time, you agree that Apple may take more than 30 days to complete your Order.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise

I'm pretty sure the Canadians are still upset that Apple moved away from the hockey puck mouse.

Jonathan20022

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2013
The fact that you "don't want to hear about it" doesn't negate the fact that it's true. And at what point did you misunderstand estimated delivery to mean will be delivered?? Check the definition of estimate that I've posted above.

Also, there's the small fact of the terms and conditions he agreed to upon purchasing the iMac:

Quote:
We will use our reasonable endeavours to manufacture your Products within 14 days of the date of issue of your Order Confirmation. Estimated Product build times which are given at the time of placing an Order are estimates only and do not equate to delivery times. Actual Product build times may take longer than 30 days from the confirmation of your Order, and if your Order involves build time, you agree that Apple may take more than 30 days to complete your Order.

That part of the agreement simply speaks for the build time, what you see when you purchase it nowadays is a delivery estimate. So that doesn't really affect my point at all. Build times are completely understandable, because they need parts to build these machines and if there's a shortage then building them would take awhile longer.

And just for the record, I know exactly what the word estimate means. But like I said, in retail that doesn't fly by a customer, you tell them it's an estimate and they'll write a letter to corporate asking for a definitive date regardless. Customers don't care.

But in this case, they cancelled his order without notifying him and he had to place his order once more. Making his wait close to two months at this point. That's the issue on hand, and that's what he should be compensated for.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
That part of the agreement simply speaks for the build time, what you see when you purchase it nowadays is a delivery estimate. So that doesn't really affect my point at all. Build times are completely understandable, because they need parts to build these machines and if there's a shortage then building them would take awhile longer.

And just for the record, I know exactly what the word estimate means. But like I said, in retail that doesn't fly by a customer, you tell them it's an estimate and they'll write a letter to corporate asking for a definitive date regardless. Customers don't care.

But in this case, they cancelled his order without notifying him and he had to place his order once more. Making his wait close to two months at this point. That's the issue on hand, and that's what he should be compensated for.

So he has suffered a monetary loss as the result of not having this computer that requires compensation?

And, at the end of the day, the T&C say that they can cancel the order if they want to anyway.

Jonathan20022

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2013
So he has suffered a monetary loss as the result of not having this computer that requires compensation?

And, at the end of the day, the T&C say that they can cancel the order if they want to anyway.

I don't really think you're understanding my point, a dissatisfied customer is something NO company wants. I've seen cases where people will go to the Apple Store, receive no help. And one call and complaint to the higher up Customer Service and Corps and their problem is taken care of in a second.

Do you think the customer is going to understand that? While you seem very well versed in the T&C, not everyone is. That's why managers give people free things or coupons in case something bad happens to them.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I don't really think you're understanding my point, a dissatisfied customer is something NO company wants. I've seen cases where people will go to the Apple Store, receive no help. And one call and complaint to the higher up Customer Service and Corps and their problem is taken care of in a second.

Do you think the customer is going to understand that? While you seem very well versed in the T&C, not everyone is. That's why managers give people free things or coupons in case something bad happens to them.

Unfortunately, that's the fault of the society we live in.

Which sounds more reasonable to you - "OK, my order was mistakenly cancelled and I have to wait a week or so more than originally estimated. Mistakes happen." or "So I was told it'd be here by now. I want compensation - £50 should cover the stress ive had in dealing with my nonexistent computer?".

If people changed their attitudes, maybe retailers would be able to offer customer service without living in fear of this compensation culture.

pete78

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2011
My brand new maxed out 27' iMac came with a crapped out HD. Initiated a return with local Apple Store two weeks ago. Not a peep since then. No one knows when I'm getting the replacement iMac. Back to using my 8-year old Dell PC (which at least works and boots up, unlike the $3000 iMac).

Pretty bad experience.

Jonathan20022

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2013
Unfortunately, that's the fault of the society we live in.

Which sounds more reasonable to you - "OK, my order was mistakenly cancelled and I have to wait a week or so more than originally estimated. Mistakes happen." or "So I was told it'd be here by now. I want compensation - £50 should cover the stress ive had in dealing with my nonexistent computer?".

If people changed their attitudes, maybe retailers would be able to offer customer service without living in fear of this compensation culture.

I agree with you there. Some people do in fact take it WAY too far, some cases I've seen it's totally sound. But some others and my own in store experiences have been just whining and bitching until you get something.

I had bought a PSVita on Amazon during Black Friday and it arrived with a very defective OLED screen. They sent me a replacement and without me even asking added 200$ worth of amazon credit onto my account which was a bit of a surprise. I was buying some steel wool and sandpaper to finish my woodworking project. Came out free which was weird. Then I realized I had a lot of credit on my account.

----------

And I definitely think they should at least bump him up to expedited shipping for this. It's not like the 20$ will hurt Apple.

PatrickCocoa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
Also, polar bears

I agree with you that the Red Wings are the best hockey team.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.