Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
I'm safe because I don't use Apple iCrap

You've made the comment, back it up. What do you use? I'll bet 20 people on MR will post how to get around your security. That's if your phone even has any.

Dilbert

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2011
Warwick, UK
These little bugs are interesting but I think its irresponsible posting videos that encourage people to dial the emergency services number as part of the work around even if you do have to immediately cancel it. A % of people will hit the wrong button or not cancel the call quick enough so some of the calls will get put through and I am sure they already get plenty of pointless calls already without adding to them!

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Press 911, and cancel call immediately...right...nothing can go wrong with that?

They do realize that IF the call isn't canceled, and goes through, even on a hang up, that Police will respond, and the person(s) can be charged with a fake 911 call?

When my son was 1 1/2, he grab the phone and somehow dialed 911. We hung up, but they called back... It took a look of convincing...

Lesson learned: keep the phone high... :-D

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Okay, but seriously...

I get that this is a serious bug, but I've always accepted that if anyone ever has physical access to my phone or computer, I'm pretty much screwed.

That doesn't excuse what happened here, but keep track of your stuff, people.

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
I might be wrong but hitting the camera button on a locked phone and then going from camera to picture rolls and then hitting home button gets me into the phone without ever entering the unlock code.

No one has to figure it out. Macrumors has provided would-be thieves with a solution to unlocking the screens of the phones they've stolen. Well done, Macrumors!!

Riiiight, like would be thieves would not find the Youtube, Gizmodo, and myriad other news posts that will be following this story. MR's audience is a well known den of thieves.

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
When I read people saying that a screenlock with this security bug is not important (see in the first comments)...I prefere to say something.

When you pay $700 for something, you should be upset to see a such important problem.

As someone said : it’s not a bug, it’s a feature

You have the right to say something, but claiming that you're safe because you don't use "iCrap" is inflammatory and childish. I for one think this is an issue because people can make calls on your account this way. You could even potentially call expensive numbers this way to avoid having to pay the bill yourself. It's a bug that needs to be fixed.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
<rant>
As a (overwhelmed) single father of two, I despise people that spend time trying to figure stuff like this. Unless this was found by error...

But I still despise all the virgin nerds that waste time, like figuring out new iphone from strings in betas...
</rant>

isnt that a good thing? im sure theres even a job describtion for those skilled people to find bugs and security flaws before "bad guys" take advantage of those holes

thx to anal and maybe nit picking guys like those apple gets a chance to fix it in the first place

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
Oh yes, I've done it on purpose.
No phone is safe, but, you can admit that people saying that this bug is not important is extremly stupid.

If my phone has such a problem like this, I won't say is not important and so on.

I'm sorry for trolling.

Fair enough. I do agree that people are quite stupid. You should see studies on how easy it is to change people's opinions with simple hand gestures and room temperature. We're not as sophisticated as we think we are.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
I get that this is a serious bug, but I've always accepted that if anyone ever has physical access to my phone or computer, I'm pretty much screwed.

I've accepted some people with physical access have have a better chance of getting in.

But this isn't something that someone is going to do to bypass my code while I've popped out to check the mail or go to the bathroom.

I'm going to lock my phone and my MacBook just like I lock my house. I know that neither will keep anyone out, but it'll keep out a lot more than if I don't lock it.

Gary

masteroflondon

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
London, UK
I figured aout a way to hack MacRumors, get all the registered users details and delete everything from the site and it's backups.

Should I post the exact method here or should I let MacRumors know so they can fix it?
:eek:

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2006
PA
Really smart to have a video and step-by-step instructions of this. Make sure this is readily searchable on Google so people who steal iPhones can search for this and get into people's phones.

aardwolf

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2007
Press 911, and cancel call immediately...right...nothing can go wrong with that?

They do realize that IF the call isn't canceled, and goes through, even on a hang up, that Police will respond, and the person(s) can be charged with a fake 911 call?

Yeah, but it's not your phone, remember???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.