Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

piatti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
USA
You would be carrying two devices but would save a lot of money? Has anyone done it and how much money was saved ?

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
My iPhone only runs me $45 per month with Net10, so I wouldn't save a whole lot versus a dumb phone + iPod.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Too many variables. You can easily do the math yourself for your specific situation.

What's "a lot of money"? A lot for one may not be for the next.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
You would be carrying two devices but would save a lot of money? Has anyone done it and how much money was saved ?

You made this suggestion in another person's thread yesterday, only then you questioned why wouldn't someone with an iPad just get a dumb phone and save money rather than having an iPad and an iPhone. Why start another thread?

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012

Owning an iPod and a dumb phone is not the same as owning an iPhone. The iPod touch will not have data everywhere you go. Sending messages and dialing numbers on a dumb phone is not as pleasant as it is on an iPhone. This will work if you have absolutely no need for data, GPS

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
An ipad mini + data sim is a more potent combo. You don't even need a dumb phone. Seriously in this day and age are there still people around that don't have a smartphone

an ipod touch + 4g would kill the iphone all together.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
An ipad mini + data sim is a more potent combo. You don't even need a dumb phone. Seriously in this day and age are there still people around that don't have a smartphone

Some people still don't have a smartphone because they only use their phone as a phone, so an iPod w/ 4G would be useless to them with no ear speaker.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Nah, just get the cheapest data plan if you want to save. $15 a month extra is not that much more and if you are a dude carrying 2 things all the time + chargers when needed is uncomfortable.

lol, nah the people that would cut off their real cel line are not in the majority.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
You made this suggestion in another person's thread yesterday, only then you questioned why wouldn't someone with an iPad just get a dumb phone and save money rather than having an iPad and an iPhone. Why start another thread?

OP is gathering information for the family, you are not talking to the wallet holder. I am not sure OP understands the feedbacks we are providing.

piatti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
USA
Owning an iPod and a dumb phone is not the same as owning an iPhone. The iPod touch will not have data everywhere you go. Sending messages and dialing numbers on a dumb phone is not as pleasant as it is on an iPhone. This will work if you have absolutely no need for data, GPS

If you get Galaxy Player it comes with GPS doesn't it ? Or does that GPS only work in wifi area?

What would be an instance where someone absolutely needs the data while outside? Plenty of books on iBooks to read...

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
I've got an 3G iPad and a Nokia 1100 if that counts. The only money I've really saved is in the prepaid plans I use, although in Australia I used to get shafted by paying $15 a GB for data. Phone calls were only 10c a minute. I didn't like the idea of buying an iPhone because I reckon they are overpriced given how much a Touch costs, but think the iPad is good value in comparison.

I looking at getting an iPhone or an Android device soon so can have access to Google Maps or iOS Maps and as well as Google translate, MotionX and Mapster in my pocket, rather than having to go without or carry around an iPad in a bag. I'd keep the iPad as well though.

emjaycee18

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
Keep in mind that you most likely won't always been near wifi, so there will be times where the iPod will be useless.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
i had the ipod touch 4 and a dumb phone before the iphone 5 came out. It was horrible since i never had internet outside my house. My phone bill is actually less now with my iphone 5 then it was with the dumb phone so it really is not worth it.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I forgot people still didn't have smartphones. I mean yeah if you don't really talk to anyone like that except on the phone you could make do with a dumb phone and a iPod Touch

bro8ts

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013

A year ago when my dumb phone contract was up with T-Mobile I switched over to pay as you go (95 bucks for 1000 minutes good for up to a year on Calling Mart) and used my 2nd gen Itouch (bought a refurbished Apple store 4th gen to replace it about 2 months ago for $129) . My old contract for a 1000 minutes a month ran $57 a month. Using my old technology Samsung dumb phone and the touch4 in tandem I'm seeing my 1000 minutes lasting close to 4 months so my phone bill now has been more than halved running around $25 a month. I just started using the free call and text app TextMe on my touch that should reduce my T-Mobile pre paid minute usage even further. Yeah two devices doesn't work for everyone but I don't need to be accessed (or access) :)all the time everywhere I go. Smartphones make sense for some but for down and dirty basic communications a dumb phone and a touch get the job done for me at substantial savings.:)

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I would rather spend a little bit more than have to carry around 2 devices.

Agreed. I'm trying to cut down how many devices I need. Doing all these multiple gadget solutions may save hounandew bucks in money but you will pay for it in convenience and happiness.

Personally, I would hate feeling like Inspector Gadget using a different device for each task.

I also agree with the previous poster that an ipad mini with a data plan is the ultimate iPhone alternative and that if an iPod touch got a data plan it would in fact kill the iPhone.

It's funny how just a few extra radios adds $350 to the cost of an otherwise nearly identical device. Those cell radios must be mighty expensive ;)

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
In my case I'm using an iPhone 5 as an iPod and a dumb phone. The iPhone 5 has been blacklisted that's why. A dumb phone and iPod touch can't do the same thing as an iPhone, and can't adequately replace it. If you need data everywhere and GPS it will not work for you.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Or you could get a phone that has both...oh wait they released such a device roughly 6 years ago, aka iPhone

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
There are 2 better alternatives here depending on your needs and how much you are looking to save.

1. Get a prepaid iPhone plan that's pay-per-MB and only use cellular data rarely.
2. Put an iPad SIM in an iPhone and use Skype or Google Voice+Talkatone for talk and text.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
If you get Galaxy Player it comes with GPS doesn't it ? Or does that GPS only work in wifi area?

What would be an instance where someone absolutely needs the data while outside? Plenty of books on iBooks to read...

Are you serious? Email for one requires data.

masands

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2010
I got a Sony Xperia Tipo (3.3" Android 4.0) and an iPad Mini. Best combo ever. The Tipo has hotspot and lasts me 3 days of usage. The iPad lasts me about 4 days of usage. I don't have to worry about running out of battery on my iPad so I feel "free" while playing games.

The only apps I have installed on my Sony is Whatsapp. I only use it for calls, text and wireless hotspot. Its nice and small and most of the time stays in the pocket. It has all the features like GPS etc.

I guess you could go down the iPod Touch route too, but the iPad Mini has a longer battery life.

I had the iPhone 5 but I felt restrictive using it because my job requires me to have a working phone 24/7. The last thing I want it to play games and run out of battery.

S

syd430

Dumb phones are a waste of time unless you're going hiking and need 7 days battery life for emergency calls. Honestly, if you can afford an ipod touch then you can afford an iphone. But if youre asking questions like this, you probably shouldn't be buying either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.