Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Thats cool and all.......if you can get your hands on one. Thats like the $127 iphone that wal-mart was selling. that was like handing out free gold bars but at selected stores with only a very limited supply.

cruzmisl

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
Bear in mind that calling ahead can give it away to employees savvy enough to realize there's money to be made reselling at this price

gniss39

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2007
Eugene, OR
Hard but not impossible. Just do a zip code search for availability AND call ahead to have it reserved is my recommendation.

So specific stores may have this that don't show up on the main apple site? Maybe I should give my local stores a buzz!

The 32 iPad 3 is 479$ refurb. Would they give 179 off for the 16??

Edit: wow nevermind my post. Didn't realize this was at Target stores.

Last edited:

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Bear in mind that calling ahead can give it away to employees savvy enough to realize there's money to be made reselling at this price

If the employees are savvy enough, the stock is probably already depleted.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012

You'd be calling the electronics department for which I assume the employee already knows the price and would have acted on it already if they wanted it is my thinking.

BillMc40

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2012
I would like to say thank you to the forum. I was looking at buying an ipad but was a little iffy. Read the above post and said these are good deals. I found a 64gb at Target in Joplin and bought it. Was the last in the area. Was 100 more then I wanted to spend but thought maybe I could find a great app for photo editing and then I wouldnt feel like I over spent. Once again thanks to a great group.
BillMc

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
I found it odd that the iPad 3 didn't take the place of the iPad 2 when the iPad 4 came out.

Say you're Apple.

You have the new iPad Mini which uses the A5 2nd generation processor, PowerVR SGX543MP2 GPU and 512 MB of ram.

You want to continue to sell a cheaper iPad full size and your options are, the iPad Retina which uses the A5X and PowerVR SGX543MP4 or the iPad 2 which uses..... the A5 and the PowerVR SGX543MP2.

Which do you think is more cost effective? Two different SOC's at vastly different price/cost points or three different SOC's with one very cheap price/cost point and two with high price/cost points?

It was an easy choice to make. The decision to build the iPad Mini with the same processor/GPU as the iPad 2 gave the iPad 2 a longer shelf life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.