Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cobber3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
My imessage on my IP4s isn't working correctly. When its on, it sends to the recipient but instead of my contact name in their phone, my email appears instead. If anyone could tell me how to get it so my email address doesn't show up that'd be great!

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
Turn off Wifi.
Go into "Settings"
Turn OFF Wi-Fi
Turn off iMessage
Turn off FaceTime
Go into "Settings"
Find and enter the "General" Tab
Scroll Down and enter the "Reset" tab
Click on the "Reset Network Settings"
It may or may not ask you for a password, just use the same password again you use to get into your iPhone
After you pressed "Reset Network Settings" Your phone should have automatically restarted.
NOTE: DO NOT SIGN INTO WIFI, From now on until your "iMessages/Facetime" Works, You should be running on "3g or 4g" internet

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
My imessage on my IP4s isn't working correctly. When its on, it sends to the recipient but instead of my contact name in their phone, my email appears instead. If anyone could tell me how to get it so my email address doesn't show up that'd be great!

Go to iMessage settings, there will be a setting that states "Start new conversations from:"

You can change it to a phone number if you have one set up. Otherwise just tell them to add that specific email to their contact of you and problem solved.

This has nothing to do with network settings. You don't need to reset it or restore your phone, don't waste your time. You merely need to have them add your email to their contact of you, or change your outgoing message setting.

staccato83

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
Las Vegas
Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. Make sure your phone number is checked under "Start new conversations from."

If that does not work, try turning iMessage off and then back on.

EDIT: Mlrollin beat me to it.

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
an easier solution is to check your iMessage caller id and check your message settings to see what's selected under "start new conversations from"

staccato83 beat me to it

cobber3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Sorry about that guys I have an IP4 not 4s and i'm not seeing the to "start new conversations from" in my imessages. Any other ideas? Thank you for your help! :D

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Sorry about that guys I have an IP4 not 4s and i'm not seeing the to "start new conversations from" in my imessages. Any other ideas? Thank you for your help! :D

What version of iOS do you have installed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.