Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did you get more than you ordered for a 15" Retina MBP?

• I got what I ordered

Votes: 28 48.3%
  • I got extra RAM

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • I got a faster CPU

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • I got extra SSD

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I got extra RAM and a faster CPU

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I got extra RAM and extra SSD

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I got a faster CPU and extra SSD

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I got extra RAM, SSD and a faster CPU

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Got something extra not listed here

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • I ordered a maxed out machine so there was no extras

Votes: 5 8.6%

• Total voters

Atroz

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
Hello,

I've seen a few people here reporting ordering a refurbished retina MBP and then ended up with more machine then they bought. I've done this before with other Apple products and sometimes you win the lottery and sometimes you don't. I'm looking at a retina MBP and would like the 16 Gig version but it seems to be a big risk to order an 8 Gig and hope for 16. To better understand that risk, I'm offering up this poll.

beavisqueef

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2013
don't play the lotto with an un-upgradable machine. Just fork over the extra cash for the 16 if you think you need it.

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
While it would be awesome if it happened, I wouldn't count on it.

It's a shame because the ideal 2.3/16/256 configuration (for me, and at the time at least) never showed up on the Apple site.

So for Apple certified refurb you're pretty much all in for either the $1849 base or the $2549 mid or higher. You might want to check the pricing on MacMall, Portable One or Amazon (beware 3rd party seller though), you can probably get a nice discount on a new machine.

Atroz

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
Two people so far got something extra that I hadn't listed. What did I miss?

Atroz

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
You think these people are honest with these polls?

Well, since this is meant to help people and costs a respondent only a few seconds to help, I can only hope nobody will be a jerk and I really did miss something.

BTW, my rMBP has already been shipped. This poll is here to help others and satisfy my own curiosity.

----------

Probably a Samsung screen :p

I thought about putting that in but figured it didn't count as an upgrade since getting a working screen is not an upgrade, it's expected.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Well, since this is meant to help people and costs a respondent only a few seconds to help, I can only hope nobody will be a jerk and I really did miss something.

BTW, my rMBP has already been shipped. This poll is here to help others and satisfy my own curiosity.

I must be too pessimistic.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
I ordered 50 iPhones for work, and the rocket scientists at Apple shipped them in 50 separate boxes, each with their own shipping/tracking. Does that count?

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
I ordered 50 iPhones for work, and the rocket scientists at Apple shipped them in 50 separate boxes, each with their own shipping/tracking. Does that count?

It would have been much more costly for them to custom ship these to you, based on their agreements with FedEx and the fact they were already boxed in China in their shipping boxes.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
It would have been much more costly for them to custom ship these to you, based on their agreements with FedEx and the fact they were already boxed in China in their shipping boxes.

To put all of them in one or two boxes versus 50 separate ones? I doubt it would be cheaper, there's got to be a minimum piece charge. Not including the labor too put them in individual shipping boxes.. OK, It's China. That was 0.11

Atroz

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
While it would be awesome if it happened, I wouldn't count on it.

You might want to check the pricing on MacMall, Portable One or Amazon (beware 3rd party seller though), you can probably get a nice discount on a new machine.

I'm in Canada and unfortunately we don't have anything like the deals you get at these places. Even things like the recent Best Buy deals at $200 off don't show up at our Best Buy.

Atroz

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
Now I get to vote in my own poll. I got my rMBP tonight and got no lottery bonuses. However, with today's price drop I did get a hundred bucks off with a 6 minute call to Apple.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
In my 13" rMBP that I just got from the Apple refurb store, it came with an i7 2.9 instead of the i5 2.5 that I was expecting.

Wafflausages

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
omgz u guyz should report it to apple or else its considered stealing theyll charge u for the extra upgradez when they find out :p

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
omgz u guyz should report it to apple or else its considered stealing theyll charge u for the extra upgradez when they find out :p

They wouldn't care anyway - it's not like they don't know it's happening :p. They normally sell CTO returned models as standard model refurbs to save having umpteen models listed in the refurb section. I've received a higher spec than ordered about 50% of the time.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
They wouldn't care anyway - it's not like they don't know it's happening :p. They normally sell CTO returned models as standard model refurbs to save having umpteen models listed in the refurb section. I've received a higher spec than ordered about 50% of the time.

Let's say I have to take my "jackpot" MacBook in for service at the Genius bar. Is it possible that they could replace it though with a "lesser" model since that's what I paid for? Or is the service always tied to the configuration per its serial number?

patrickoneal

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2013
Let's say I have to take my "jackpot" MacBook in for service at the Genius bar. Is it possible that they could replace it though with a "lesser" model since that's what I paid for? Or is the service always tied to the configuration per its serial number?

I'm wondering the same. I ordered rMBP 2.3/8/256, and received a 2.3/16/256 with a Samsung panel. It seems to work just fine, and I got the good panel, so I doubt I'd ever have to exchange it. I'd imagine they'd swap it out for the same or better if there ever was a problem. On the other hand, the sticker on the outside of the plain box had the correct serial number, but stated the memory on my machine as being 8gb. That leads me to believe they don't document the amount of memory actually installed in the refurbs.

Nararabbit

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2013
Sunny SoCal
yeppers

I ordered a 13" 2.5 w/ 256, recieved a 2.9 w/ 512 flash storage. The sad part is I already decided to keep the 15" instead... now my husband is practically clawing my arm off to keep it but c'mon, $1500 is not pocket change and his computer's only a year old! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.