Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
You do know that if you're stuck out in the dessert and have no water, it's safe to drink your own urine.

Does it depend on what type of dessert you're stuck in? What about if its a giant cream cake? Wouldn't you be better off eating the cream?

Rt&Dzine

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
Other than the ewww factor, I don't think it's so much the urine that is worrying but the aerated fecal particles.

Crap! My entire house is probably filled with aerated fecal particles. I knew there was a reason I never want to sit near the restrooms in a restaurant. And think about public bathrooms or motel rooms. :eek:

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Crap! My entire house is probably filled with aerated fecal particles. I knew there was a reason I never want to sit near the restrooms in a restaurant. And think about public bathrooms or motel rooms. :eek:

Aerated fecal matter is hardly your biggest concern in a hotel. Ever see a typical hotel room under a black light?

Rt&Dzine

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
Aerated fecal matter is hardly your biggest concern in a hotel. Ever see a typical hotel room under a black light?

Unfortunately . . . hotel rooms scare me.

EDIT: I always thought a motel chain could get a lot of business by advertising that they change the bedspreads and mattress pads along with the sheets. Of course, they would word it more strategically.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Unfortunately . . . hotel rooms scare me.

EDIT: I always thought a motel chain could get a lot of business by advertising that they change the bedspreads and mattress pads along with the sheets. Of course, they would word it more strategically.

What's Hiding in Your Hotel Room?
Inspections Reveal Bedbugs; Black Light Reveals Urine and More

From the swankiest five-star resorts to more modest accommodations, hotels offer refuge, a place to unwind and lay your head for a good night's sleep. But, beware: There could be some unwanted guests resting -- or nesting -- with you.

While staying a Manhattan hotel, two Swiss tourists claim bedbugs left them covered with itchy red welts from head to toe.

Jan Chung says she had a similar experience. She flipped over the blanket in her hotel room and discovered bedbugs.

"I don't exactly remember how many, but I started killing them," Chung said. "Oh, it was so disgusting!"

But what about the things lurking that you can't see or feel? ABC News Primetime went to 20 well-known hotels in New York, Miami, Houston and Los Angeles to find out just how clean the rooms really are. Armed with a black light, they searched for evidence.

What the Black Light Revealed
Inside a $300-a-night room at one of New York's finest hotels, there was dried semen on the bedspread and urine stains on the bedroom walls.

At a Miami hotel, part of a well-recognized chain, the black light revealed an unusual pattern in the carpeting in the bedroom. That pattern turned out to be trails of urine.

"Either somebody was doing something they shouldn't have," said Dr. Mark Callahan, a physician at New York Presbyterian Hospital, "or alternatively, they may have had an animal in there."

At another four-star resort, the black light illuminated traces of urine on the walls, the bedspread, chairs, a bathroom vanity stool and on the carpet right where people step into bed.

Regardless of cost -- from a one-star hotel room priced at $55 a night to a five-star room hotel room renting for $400 a night -- lab results showed traces of urine or semen in every room Primetime tested.

"There's a lot going on behind those doors," Callahan said. "And the reality is that the hotels are not going to be wiping down the walls and those surfaces."

While cleaning crews may dust, vacuum and disinfect daily, most hotels say they do deep cleaning only four times a year, on average -- unless stains are visible. But most unsuspecting hotel guests aren't prepared for the surprises Primetime found, like urine on a hotel Bible.

Tips to Stay Healthy in Hotels
So now you're grossed out, but should you actually worry? Experts say the risk of getting sick from hotel germs is relatively low. Still, if you want to reduce you risk even further, here are some suggestions:

Remove the hotel bedspread. That's typically the most germ-laden thing in the whole room.

Travel with sanitizing wipes. Wipe things that people touch a lot, such as the phone and the remote.

Wash your hands. The main way you can get sick is by getting lots of germs on your hands, then putting your hands in your mouth. So remember what your mother told you, and wash your hands early and often.

Look for rust-colored stains on sheets and bedspreads. It can be a sign that bedbugs are present.

Link

Ctech80

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
Sounds like germs from toilet seats etc are the last things we need to worry about. Anybody who steps out of their house is exposing themselves to millions of germs and that's before we've even touched anything.
This is why we have an immune system. Remove all germs and we don't function.
Relax :)

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
When you flush the toliet water molecules explode into the air unless the person closes the lid prior to flushing. Those molecules have bacteria that can become harmful.

So what distance can these germs fly in the air?

How long do they stay in the air?

The reason why i'm asking is because my bedroom is right across our bathroom and I was wondering is it even safe to have my toothbrush in my bedroom.

It's definitely not safe to keep your toothbrush in the bedroom, or even in the house at all. It should be kept in an air tight container at least one mile from home. Those bathroom germs will follow you everywhere, but they have a one mile limit. So your toothbrush is safe there.

Germs know who you are, especially those bathroom germs. Your life is in peril at all times. Protect yourself constantly...try to remain sterile.

(Is it just me, or is OP becoming more...er...never mind!)

:rolleyes: :eek:

Mr-Kerrse

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
United Kingdom
People are way to worried about germs, the old saying a bit of dirt don't hurt comes to mind.

Yes wash you hands etc etc clean your kitchecn etc etc but if you haven't got sick the way your house has been for the last 10 years then i am fairly sure you will be fine :D

Seriously though unless you want to live in a plastic bubble & never have human contact again you need to accept you cant not avoid all germs.

People almost have their lives to germ free nowadays so no one builds up a tolerance to them. Probably why so many people are allergic to pretty much everything.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Sounds like germs from toilet seats etc are the last things we need to worry about. Anybody who steps out of their house is exposing themselves to millions of germs and that's before we've even touched anything.
This is why we have an immune system. Remove all germs and we don't function.
Relax :)

Newb, the thread was 3 years old. Those germs on the toilet are long dead.

May 8, 2008
Damn, and here I was all excited that Squilly and Waloshin were about to have an epic battle.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
It's definitely not safe to keep your toothbrush in the bedroom, or even in the house at all. It should be kept in an air tight container at least one mile from home. Those bathroom germs will follow you everywhere, but they have a one mile limit. So your toothbrush is safe there.

Germs know who you are, especially those bathroom germs. Your life is in peril at all times. Protect yourself constantly...try to remain sterile.

(Is it just me, or is OP becoming more...er...never mind!)

:rolleyes: :eek:

Do you believe we should wear one of these in our holmes?

hazmat_aust02.jpg

Damn, and here I was all excited that Squilly and Waloshin were about to have an epic battle.

That is still a possibility. :cool:

glocke12

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2008
When you flush the toliet water molecules explode into the air unless the person closes the lid prior to flushing. Those molecules have bacteria that can become harmful.

So what distance can these germs fly in the air?

How long do they stay in the air?

The reason why i'm asking is because my bedroom is right across our bathroom and I was wondering is it even safe to have my toothbrush in my bedroom.

This is exactly why I dont use the toilet in my house and instead go to the bathroom outside....(with a gun of course ;) )

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia

You do realize cleaning chemical residue can also leave deposits that glow under the black light. I wonder if in those black light reports they ever took swap samples to find out what is glowing.

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
What do you think the purpose of a tooth brush is OP, it's to brush bacteria off your teeth. The tooth brush is always going to have bacteria on it regardless of where its kept. It just depends on what kind of bacteria for where its kept.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
Silly thread! I'm a 60 year old very healthy guy who's been around disgusting dirty toilets in my day, and yet I'm still in good shape, with no mold growing on my skin, etc, etc. You health freaks crack me up!! lol!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.