Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I really wish Apple had priced this $0.006 less than the longer cable just to make the complainers happy by accounting for the price of materials.

Then they could round up.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Ach. Still no Thunderbolt to Lightning cable?

This MBP has 2 USB ports and six periphs competing for them. Meanwhile the thunderbolt port just hangs out doing nothing.

Doesn't matter if it doesn't transfer data at the maximum speed of thunderbolt, or even any faster than USB, it'd just be worth it to be able to sync & charge without having to jockey these peripheals around in order to do it, or clog the network with a wifi sync.

Then you'd just complain that they cost $50 for a cable. You know they make USB hubs for just a couple bucks.

It's not as simple as just making a cable either. You'd need a cable that contained a controller so you'd be looking at a cable with a big box on it. Who'd want that.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
Everyone chokes on the $79 headphone price, but dual driver headphones with the nice volume/mic feature are not that cheap from any other manufacturer.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Next time I buy razor blades I'll remove half the package before checkout. Why not? They do the same thing, just don't need as many. ;)

That's the best analogy you could come up with? :D

We are talking about length, not a package. If you remove the half of the razor blade package that means less shaving times. Now tell me, does the lightning cable by being short charges or synchronises your phone less then the longer one. I bet it doesn't :p

But i wasn't aware the different sized thunderbolt cables have difference on price.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
I really wish Apple had priced this $0.006 less than the longer cable just to make the complainers happy by accounting for the price of materials.

Then they could round up.

Pretty much. The cabling isn't what costs anything. Costs pennies for 100ft of cable. It's the connectors, the IC, and the manufacturing that make up most of the cost.

Furifo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
Next time I buy razor blades I'll remove half the package before checkout. Why not? They do the same thing, just don't need as many. ;)

Personally, I need a LONGER cable. Having to position myself closer to either a USB or outlet connection while using my iPad is a PITA.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B001TH7GV4/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1360870615&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

Been using that with my iphone 5 since September. I have noticed no significant difference in charging times - it works really well! I highly recommend getting it.

A friend of mine has the longer 1.8m version which she tells me works just as good.

If you're in the US, there will be some available on amazon.com rather than the .co.uk variant.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Same price for a product which probably costs marginally less to make? Apple are tactical with their pricing...if not too sneaky.

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
I bought the In-Ear Headphones back in December 2008 when they started shipping. They are MUCH better that the stock earbuds. I'm surprised they have held up so well for 4 years. They still sound great. FYI, there are two drivers in these earphones. A woofer for the lows and mids, and a tweeter for the high frequencies. They have more of a clear and less muddled sound. The EarPods are a major improvement over the earbuds in terms of fitting into my ears, but a minor improvement in sound.

The Earpods seem to squeeze all the sound, and it sounds a bit muddy.

But the In-Ear Headphones are still as durible as the regualr headphones. So for $80 you BETTER take care of them. I wish they sold replacement ear tips, but they don't. :(

I rather stick with my $100 klipsch S4i II's

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Ach. Still no Thunderbolt to Lightning cable?

This MBP has 2 USB ports and six periphs competing for them. Meanwhile the thunderbolt port just hangs out doing nothing.

Doesn't matter if it doesn't transfer data at the maximum speed of thunderbolt, or even any faster than USB, it'd just be worth it to be able to sync & charge without having to jockey these peripheals around in order to do it, or clog the network with a wifi sync.

Thunderbolt costs more to manufacture than USB without providing any technical advantage in this specific context. Don't count on Apple to reduce their margins just for the heck of it.

So it comes down to: Would people like you buy a Thunderbolt to Lighting cable if it cost more? Say, $29 instead of $19?

Seems like Apple thinks the amount of people who'd want that is negligible. At least, not enough to warrant R&D of the cable and adapting iOS / OS X to support it. Plus it would create unnecessary confusion about the purpose of such a cable.

World Citizen

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
OMG

So you people want MORE for your money eh....

Look here look here!!!
Its the power suply of the Microsoft Surface...

>>>>> YOU GET MUCH MORE MORE MOre more mr..... <<<<<<<

Who doesn't want MORE MORE MORE!!!!

en-US_L_Surface_Power_Supply

So... go buy the stupid Surface thing, and have more power cord than all the iPad losers like me...

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
So basically: Apple releases new cable, shorter but same price. Also, a tiny portion of a small high-end accessory's remote has slightly more rounded corners. :D

I like the attention to detail but come on, they could have made the cable just little bit cheaper at least!

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
I am the first to notice that the new Headphones remote also has reinforced area where connected to cable itself?

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
$79? The one came with my iPhone 5 is good enough.

But they really aren't though.. Here's an article to read at your leisure:
http://gizmodo.com/5371253/giz-explains-why-you-cant-get-decent-earphones-for-less-than-100

What's nice about the $79 set is that they're dual driver headphones, as explained in the article. I haven't looked at the market lately, but a few years ago this Apple set were one of the only dual driver headphones for under $100. It was actually decently priced. There are triple driver headphones out there for even more.

Sound is a funny thing.. Really not trying to lecture you or tell you you're wrong. There's nothing wrong with stock headphones. Sound is hard to judge like resolution or color on a TV screen. There is definitely a difference to be heard though if you ever get a chance to check out some higher end ones.

CalWizrd

Suspended
Jun 21, 2011
NYC/Raleigh, NC
I know this isn't big news, but the new switch/buttons on the headphones is a big deal for me. It's awesome, and about time. I'm willing to buy new ones just for this reason alone.

The rounded edges of the switch/buttons will help prevent that section from getting snagged on clothing, which happens to me all the time with the old design - which is very, very annoying.

Thank you Apple for making an improvement in a small thing (sweating the details).

I agree with you 100%. Several years back I sent an email to SJ asking him if anyone at Apple wore button-down shirts, because if they did they would have discovered what a PITA the squared edges were.

Never got a response.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Another daft analogy :eek:

They don't. Bigger screen offers different experience.

Agreed, silly analogy, but it doesn't change the fact pretty much every other type of cable increases in price the longer it gets.

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
Lets be honest.... Who sits there and goes "you know what I hate about this Apple cord? Its to long..."

Cause if people do then I have never met them. I would not want a cord any shorter then the one they offer.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

pretty soon we will have a apple watch with wireless bluetooth 4.0 ear buds, each with their own built in battery and no larger than the size of these ear buds

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.