Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peanutismint

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Cardiff, UK
I'm thinking of selling my 32GB iPhone 4 and 'upgrading' to a 4S. I'm too far invested (read: stubborn!) to upgrade to a 5 and have to replace all of my attachments, camera lenses, cases, dock connector-style accessories etc, but the 4 is just becoming annoying slow/sluggish as the iOS gets more and more advanced.

Just wondering whether anyone here has upgraded from a 4 to a 4S and what your experiences/opinions were. Is it a noticeable difference, in terms of speed/responsiveness etc? Or would I be better off just sucking it up and getting a 5??

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
The main advantage of the 5 is LTE connectivity. If you don't care about that, go with the 4S.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I'm thinking of selling my 32GB iPhone 4 and 'upgrading' to a 4S. I'm too far invested (read: stubborn!) to upgrade to a 5 and have to replace all of my attachments, camera lenses, cases, dock connector-style accessories etc, but the 4 is just becoming annoying slow/sluggish as the iOS gets more and more advanced.

Just wondering whether anyone here has upgraded from a 4 to a 4S and what your experiences/opinions were. Is it a noticeable difference, in terms of speed/responsiveness etc? Or would I be better off just sucking it up and getting a 5??

Get the 5, the performance jump would be extremely drastic, you get LTE, AND A much needed bigger screen which truly does also make all the difference. Also a better rear and front HD camera and a better screen then the 4S/4.

Plus the i5 will be supported by Apple for a few years, its the most logical choice imo. LTE alone is incredible and LTE IS the future.

I came from a 4S to a 5 and performance is very noticeable, apps launch and dont refresh at all in the multi tasking bar and there is absolutely no delay when switching from app to app, you can instantly use the app instead of that delay on the 4S and 4.

Tbh the LTE and the bigger better screen is tremendous...go for the i5 man it wont dissapoint you

----------

The main advantage of the 5 is LTE connectivity. If you don't care about that, go with the 4S.

Forgetting the much improved screen size? The 4 inch screen makes all the difference in the world. Safari and every other app/ function on the i5 is much improved due to its screen size

----------

The performance jump from the 4 to the 4S is noticeable, but the jump from the 4S to the 5 is even MORE noticeable, and your mind wil be blown if you jumped from a iPhone 4 to a iPhone 5

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Forgetting the much improved screen size? The 4 inch screen makes all the difference in the world. Safari and every other app/ function on the i5 is much improved due to its screen size

I have a 5, and enjoy the new screen compared to my previous 4. I just think it's less dramatic of a jump than going from 3G to LTE is.

I went from a 4 to a 5, so I can't comment on the performance jump from the 4S to the 5.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I'd highly recommend the 5 as well. But to actually answer your question.

The difference between the 4 and 4s is much larger than what it would appear from the outside.

The 4s features the A5 which is MUCH faster, much better graphics and a better camera. The downside is the RAM stays the same at 512mb. All this being said, you WILL notice the difference.

Last edited:

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
4S is worth it. Having owned the 3GS, 4, 4S and 5, I really think the 4S is a solid phone. Well put together, it rocks a great camera when compared with the 4, and yes - it is noticably faster.

Cody21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I would go with the 5. I enjoy the slightly larger screen and speed. Also, I like how thin and light it is. After a week with my iPhone 5, I picked up my 4S and played on it for a little bit and the difference was noticeable.

peanutismint

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Cardiff, UK
Thanks all! As I'm currently not in a position to enjoy an LTE provider, I may just go to the 4S and then upgrade to a 5 (or 6, 7, 8.....) once I can actually enjoy the benefits of the faster network.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
4S is worth it. Having owned the 3GS, 4, 4S and 5, I really think the 4S is a solid phone. Well put together, it rocks a great camera when compared with the 4, and yes - it is noticably faster.

I agree. I use both the 4 and 4S every day and the 4S is noticeably faster and works more reliably. The home button on the 4S works a lot better over time as well.

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
I would recommend the 5 as well. The battery life on the 4S was not as good as the 4 and 5. The performance jump is nice but it’s still the same screen and looks the same. At least the 5 has bigger screen with better color saturation. The 4s is a good phone but I would get 5 for sure. I was much happier when I upgraded to the 5 than when I upgraded from the 4 to 4s.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
Thanks all! As I'm currently not in a position to enjoy an LTE provider, I may just go to the 4S and then upgrade to a 5 (or 6, 7, 8.....) once I can actually enjoy the benefits of the faster network.

What is the price difference between a 4S and 5 in the UK? Are you buying the phone outright, or on a contract? Here in the US the price difference is $100 to $150, so unless you have legacy connector peripherals you want to use, getting the 5 makes more sense as it will remain viable in terms of performance and iOS updates for at least a year longer than the 4S, if history is any indication.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
If u have lots invested in accessories and doesn't cost u much going to 4s I say Do it. U should notice a speed (interface) boost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.