Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chuges

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Hey all

I've noticed that when I watch vids through my apple TV's youtube player, it automatically zooms in slightly on the picture and I lose a small part of the image on the top and sides (maybe on the bottom too, but i didn't have a point of reference to compare that too).

It doesn't happen when I watch netflix or rent movies - only youtube. I would rather that it display the full image with letterboxing instead of filling the screen. Does anyone else have this problem? Any possible solutions/work arounds?

Thanks!

Aragornii

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Nothing to add other than to say I've noticed the exact same thing, and it really bugs me. And it's not just a small part. Sometimes when reading text the entire word at the beginning or end of a line will be off the screen.

prograham

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2006
New York
Yep, welcome to the club of people affected by this. I'm not sure if everyone is, and some just don't notice, but it sucks and there is no fix. So lame.

prograham

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2006
New York
I've noticed that on the trailers but didn't understand why it was happening. So is this to say that the ATV2 is doing the overscan? If so it would be great to get an update that would give us an option to turn it off.. shoot even in the wiki article you linked it states that for 1080 overscan is not desirable.

phluxer

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2013
Update please!

I have the same issue here on my ATV3 and its realy annoying.
Go for it Apple! Fix it!

prograham

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2006
New York
Y'know for the longest time I thought it was AppleTV at fault as well, even posting about it in this thread, and then finally I looked through some more menus and found some arcane menu that didn't logically fit wherever it was in my Panasonic, flipped a setting, and now I see the whole picture of whatever I watch.

Try taking another look through all your menus and settings, play with each one to see if you get lucky like I did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.