Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I couldn't even share mine with my wife, I would never share it with a co-worker.

LOL, I know. Had a fight with my partner the other day when he borrowed mine for five minutes. "You closed my Safari tabs!!!!" "Sorry, I didn't know you wanted them open." "Well, why do you think they were open in the first place???!!!!" :D

venusian

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2008
Why not set up a new "team" email address and use it to set up a new "team" apple ID with a corporate credit card for the "team" iPad? unless the apps for testing relate to email in some way, surely this would alleviate the OP's issues, ok well most of them, 'cept the bath room issue, but just buy some sanitising wipes to deal with that and also implement a sign in/sign out policy for borrowers, noting they take liability.

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
My thoughts... Use it like you would a shared laptop. Check your mail through a web client, after making sure that Safari is set up for private browsing. Never enter in your AppleID information; just use whatever apps are installed on the machine. Don't have pictures or music on it; that's not really a work purpose anyway. And if you're concerned about germs and stuff... As someone else says, have a container of disposable antibacterial wipes on your desk, and when you take the ipad, give it a swipe first.

My GF used my ipad regularly till she got her own. My kids use it when they come over (although I clear my browser history before they do...). :) They don't have my iTunes password, and they don't need it. Basically, they use it for a portable web browser and whatever games/apps I already have it installed on there. They don't treat it as "theirs", and store a bunch of their personal stuff on there.

It doesn't really sound like the end of the world... Just don't expect that you'll be comfortable using it like you would if it was your personal iPad.

Clint

JoeFkling

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2013
Maybe I missed it, but what is the iPad being used for? Basically I would only use it for that purpose only and not load ANY personal info. If they want you to have an account tied to it then it needs to be set up through the institution and not the user.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I'm being asked to share an iPad with another user at work. This makes me uncomfortable for a number of reasons.
-The iPad is tied to the other users e-mail, itunes account etc
-I'm worried if it malfunctions/breaks/gets damaged, who will be to blame
-I'm concerned about hygiene issues (where/when/how it is used by both parties).

I want to be a team player, but for some reason this makes me extremely uncomfortable.

Am I being unreasonable? Any suggestions on how to approach this?

You bring up something I wish Apple had with the original iPad: User Accounts.

Hopefully iOS 7 has something like this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.