Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Waste does not get dumped in the ocean. It goes to holding tanks where it is cleaned and stored until a port of call.

Like I said before it is very illegal to dump waste at sea within the 12 mile mariners limit.

If the ship doesn't have full power those tanks could be overflowing before being cleaned before storage.
So why can't the generators help with the pumping process? What good is unhealthy water on a dead ship as the lights are working.

Where did I say pumped into the ocean?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
So why can't the generators help with the pumping process? What good is unhealthy water on a dead ship as the lights are working.

Where did I say pumped into the ocean?

Got me. Ask Carnival Cruise lines.

RE: Pumps. sorry MacNut I thought you were talking about pumping it overboard.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I'm not sure, but $500 does not seem like much, especially if people are going to have to replace belongings that have been covered in ****.

Problem with class actions is that lawyers are going to get a bulk of the settlement in fees.

That's true but it does send a strong message.

One that they will listen to compared to one person suing them. And I'm guessing there is an army of lawyers waiting for the ship to pull into port.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I thought these ships are supposed to have emergency backup systems. It sounds like the whole ships life support system went down.

They have 5 generators, and 80% of the power goes to making the boat move, so assuming my basic math skills are still intact they only need to get a single generator up and running to have full power.

Of course if everything relies on the same turbine that caught fire, you're pretty screwed.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Yikes, I'm scheduled for my first cruise -- with Carnival, no less -- in a few months. I know these things don't happen very often but... yikes! :eek:

At first it didn't seem so bad. Dead in the water, being towed back to a port, OK. You get a refund of everything you spent on the cruise, plus a free cruise next time, free airfare, etc. Other cruise ships were dropping off food.

Then the reports of raw sewage came in, and many hours of waiting to be fed, and that's when I figure it stopped being a good deal :p I guess dealing with 4000+ people in any sort of emergency situation isn't going to be fun.

I'm going to be sure to keep bottled water and some non-perishable snacks in my day pack when I arrive...

righteye

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
London
Carnival cruise lines, even the name sounds like a joke.
May your God of choice help you on that ship because it sounds like Hell to me.
should be an emergency evac before everyone gets dysentery or Cholera.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
The fact that passengers are getting $500 in cash compensation is a complete joke.

If an airline bumps you from a flight resulting in a 3 hour delay, you could get close to $500 cash. $500 for a ruined vacation, wading around in raw sewage, getting hardly any food and being delayed days to your destination is a complete joke.

Oh, and Carnival is throwing in a free cruise for them. Because I'm sure these people can't wait to get right back on another Carnival cruise.

Full refund ($500?), free cruise in future (+$1000?), and $500.
And hotel stay and airfare if they choose ($400?).

Still.

As I understand it, the backup electrical system is functioning properly - but that doesn't help the toilets. Emergency electrical power is typically life safety only.

Also I don't know how much you understand about generators, but they typically get their source power from...an engine.

Backup has its own engine, but it is only enough for minimal systems.
Apparently sewage was not one of them.

The 4 main engines provide would provide propulsion, electricity, and possibly hydraulic.
Deign failure in lack of redundancy of key system that rendered all 4 engines in-op.

System failure where Carnival did not create a procedure for main engine failure.

Carnival really F-ed up.

----------

Why didn't they use the ocean as a toilet instead of the beds and hallways?

Did you not read what I posted ? urine and feces was dripping down the bulkheads onto people trying to sleep on mattresses.

People were trying to use the bathrooms that weren't working properly and overflowing into the halls and down walls onto people on decks below.

When was the last time you tried to take a dump over the side of a ship when you were 150 feet from the water ?

I suspect Carnival never considered such an incident (very poor contingency planning), thus never designed common emergency toilet facilities and instructed passengers not to use in-room units (could have locked them too).

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Screw compensation. What they should have done is is pay for a large enough and fast enough ship (or ships) to get out there and offload the passengers to.

That's what I don't understand. Why didn't they cancel/postpone one of their other cruises and send that ship (Elation, Magic, etc) to pick up passengers from the Triumph?

I went on the Carnival Dream in 2011, and how the cruise works is they actually slow the boat down to increase transit times (what Carnival calls "fun days at sea") between ports. One of their other ships cold have easily gotten to the Triumph days ago.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
That's what I don't understand. Why didn't they cancel/postpone one of their other cruises and send that ship (Elation, Magic, etc) to pick up passengers from the Triumph?

I went on the Carnival Dream in 2011, and how the cruise works is they actually slow the boat down to increase transit times (what Carnival calls "fun days at sea") between ports. One of their other ships cold have easily gotten to the Triumph days ago.

Easier said then done when you have winds at 25 knots and seas of four to six feet.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/15/us/carnival-cruise-line-ship-triumph-towed-into-port.html

macquariumguy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Sarasota FL
Screw compensation. What they should have done is is pay for a large enough and fast enough ship (or ships) to get out there and offload the passengers to.

Transferring that many people ship to ship at sea would be extraordinarily dangerous. Something that would only be attempted if the ship were in danger. As much as it sucked for the passengers, towing them to port was clearly the right thing to do.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Considering that this has happened several times now (with raw sewage and all) it seems the cruise ships aren't built nearly robustly enough to house 4000 people. They build them cheaply with no backups for critical systems and engine rooms built like the bridge of the Enterprise.

Which wouldn't be a big deal if they had the logistics to rescue a disabled ship, but when it takes a week to tow one and there is no way to get adequate food onboard or handle waste during that time, it makes Carnival look pretty incompetent.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
This is so overblown.

So they basically had to camp for a few days on the deck of a boat in the Caribbean. I'm sure the people living in Syria or Somalia would trade with them any day of the week.

This is the type of thing that belongs under "#firstworldproblems".

Yeah, it sucks their vacations were ruined, but in the grand scheme of things it's not that big of a deal. "We had to pee in bags" I mean **** fishermen do that daily.

Their boat didn't sink, they didn't get eaten by sharks, they didn't get hijacked, robbed, and tortured. There's always something worse that could happen.

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
If I were on that ship I'd have a lawyer get a class action suit going.

The American Way. :eek:

Crap happens; sometimes it overflows, too. People understand this before they get on a cruise ship. Sure, it really sucks - but I think Carnival is handling it quite well. They contained and handled the problem quickly (imagine if the FIRE had spread), refunded the cruise, offered ANOTHER cruise for free, and $500, and transportation. I think it sounds quite fair.

This is so overblown.

So they basically had to camp for a few days on the deck of a boat in the Caribbean. I'm sure the people living in Syria or Somalia would trade with them any day of the week.

This is the type of thing that belongs under "#firstworldproblems". (MY emphasis added -js81)

Yeah, it sucks their vacations were ruined, but in the grand scheme of things it's not that big of a deal. "We had to pee in bags" I mean **** fishermen do that daily.

Their boat didn't sink, they didn't get eaten by sharks, they didn't get hijacked, robbed, and tortured. There's always something worse that could happen.

^^^ THIS FTW.

Last edited:

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
They contained and handled the problem quickly (imagine if the FIRE had spread), refunded the cruise , offered ANOTHER cruise for free of equal value to the one they paid for, and $500, and transportation. I think it sounds quite fair.

I agree. If I was on that cruise, I would be happy with that settlement.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I'm asking why they did that, when there was a huge oceanic toilet all around them. Was it about modesty? Could they not have found buckets or something, and emptied them overboard?

How long did it take to figure out the toilets were broken? Why didn't they stop using them?

What would you have done if you had been on board the ship? It's very easy to be clever after the fact, much harder when you are yourself in the situation.

----------

Sure. Where do you find an empty ship that can pick up 4,000 passengers?

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
And it begins....

Lawsuit filed over 'floating hell' cruise

Some highlights of the suit:

Terry, 25, "was forced to endure deplorable, unsafe and unsanitary conditions, including but not limited to, sweltering temperatures, lack of power and air conditioning, lack of hot or running water, and lack of working toilets,"

"the vessel listed sharply several times, causing human waste to spill out of non-functioning toilets, flood across the Vessel's floors and halls, and drip down the Vessel's walls," it says.

"Plaintiff was forced to endure unbearable and horrendous odors on the filthy and disabled Vessel, and wade through human feces in order to reach food lines where the wait was counted in hours, only to receive rations of spoiled food. Plaintiff was forced to subsist for days in a floating toilet, a floating Petri dish, a floating hell."

"Plaintiff has been injured in mind and body," it says.

Lawyer Brent Allison, a partner in Gilman & Allison of Pearland, Texas, said Terry "was feeling nauseated and running a fever."

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
My friend was on the Splendor 2 years ago, same thing happened.

This article from cruisecritic.com describes what's happened since the Splendor failure.

In some ways, this problem reminds me of the DC-10 UAL Flight 232 failure back in 1989. In that accident, a failure of the #2 engine severed all three of the redundant hydraulic systems. Due to the pilot's mad skills, 185 of the 296 people on-board survived. Afterwards, some "circuit breakers" were put in the third hydraulic line to protect against any single point of failure.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Considering that this has happened several times now (with raw sewage and all) it seems the cruise ships aren't built nearly robustly enough to house 4000 people. They build them cheaply with no backups for critical systems and engine rooms built like the bridge of the Enterprise.

Which wouldn't be a big deal if they had the logistics to rescue a disabled ship, but when it takes a week to tow one and there is no way to get adequate food onboard or handle waste during that time, it makes Carnival look pretty incompetent.
They also waited 10 hours before calling for help.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Floating hell? No one resorted to canniblism, so no biggie.

And it doesn't sound all that bad to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.