Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GeorgieAcevedo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
New York City
My little sister got her iPhone 5 stolen. So if I call AT&T and ask them to block the IMEI of that iPhone, the person would not be able to use it on any carrier? Just wondering if that's how it works, if not please tell me.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
My little sister got her iPhone 5 stolen. So if I call AT&T and ask them to block the IMEI of that iPhone, the person would not be able to use it on any carrier? Just wondering if that's how it works, if not please tell me.

If it was unlocked before the block it could be used on tmobile, if not it can only be used in another country. It wont work on any carrier that uses tmobile or att networks.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Or since its an iphone 5 and still under warranty the thief can make up an excuse to get the phone replace by applecare and then receive a whitelisted iphone 5 that can be used with no probs.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
Or since its an iphone 5 and still under warranty the thief can make up an excuse to get the phone replace by applecare and then receive a whitelisted iphone 5 that can be used with no probs.

Old IMEI status follows to new IMEI with replacement at least for locks/unlocks. Not sure if stolen IMEI info shared between carriers and Apple.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Old IMEI status follows to new IMEI with replacement at least for locks/unlocks. Not sure if stolen IMEI info shared between carriers and Apple.

I havent attempt it myself so Im not 100% of the outcome.
But I heard others that got stuck buying bad esn iphones for verizon and sprint were able to activate the new devices once replaced by apple.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012

Nope if they exchange it the new phone will work without issues.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

Exactly. Her iPhone 5's IMEI will be put on a "Stolen List" which means anyone within the US (and who tries to use the iPhone on AT&T) will be greeted with a surprise. In this case, the line will go on Hold.

durruti

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2004
Jersey
are you sure of who took it or are you just guessing? If you are sure, why not try and get it back?

Last edited:

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
are you sure of who took it or are you just guessing? If you are sure, why not try and get it back?

That's what some people do. They assume who stole it when they don't or have any proof. I know this from experience. As store supervisor I was accused by a customer that I attended to on the sales register of stealing her purse. She accused me because she said she left it on my register. Well I told her to **** off and she called the cops. Well I reviewed the security camera with the cops and it shows me walking away from my register with the customer and her purse still there. She leaves her purse behind and it's sits there for half an hour. Then another customer sees it and walks away with it. If you didn't see it happen it didn't happen. It was normal for her to suspect me, but to come out and say it is libel. She was red faced and apologized.

Last edited:

GeorgieAcevedo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
New York City

We tracked it with find my iPhone, it lead to a specific address. It was stolen at her school, the phone was shut off after it was at that location. I sent my little sister to school to find out which student lives in or around there. There's only one student that lives in that address & it's a girl and she's latina. She denies she took it of course but out of 500 students she's the only one that lives there and around that specific area. There's not much we can do besides block the IMEI.

durruti

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2004
Jersey
We tracked it with find my iPhone, it lead to a specific address. It was stolen at her school, the phone was shut off after it was at that location. I sent my little sister to school to find out which student lives in or around there. There's only one student that lives in that address & it's a girl and she's latina. She denies she took it of course but out of 500 students she's the only one that lives there and around that specific area. There's not much we can do besides block the IMEI.

I don't think the latina bit has any relevance.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
FALSE- only follows if its unlocked. Experience from doing this to acouple Verizon iPhones

What did a I say was false? I said unlock/lock status follows. I said I was unsure if stolen IMEI status followed. You guys need to read, especially, since you mention Verizon which ESN based for stolen status, not IMEI based. :rolleyes:

RotaryP7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2011
Miami, FL
IMEI gets blocked by AT&T and T-Mobile. All GSM carriers in the US. It will stay at "No Service" ; the iPhone becomes an iPod only unless you use it overseas.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
IMEI gets blocked by AT&T and T-Mobile. All GSM carriers in the US. It will stay at "No Service" ; the iPhone becomes an iPod only unless you use it overseas.

Or you use it in the us with an international sim. My Vodafone UK sim works in an att blacklisted iphone 5 showing the att network logo. This will be expensive though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.