Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I predict the sun will rise tomorrow :rolleyes: I'm sick of the predictions I just want an iPhone that does what I want at a good price and an iPad that is useful and not outdated in 6 months.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
I like these rumors of solid efforts in a number of important areas. Even a new product category with the iWatch. Could be important in augmenting the phones.

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
IWatch is going to be huge. It's going to do way more than anyone ever expects. You heard it here first.:D

My Parents have iphones, and they're always telling me that they feel bad because they're under utilizing them. I always say to them, that it doesn't matter because its worth having even if it is only used as a phone, to take pictures, and look things up occasionally.

My point is that the iphone has a broad appeal, and is very useful simply as a good phone. An iwatch however, has no significant use, unless you are willing to / have the patience to use it to its potential. Which to many people sounds like a chore. Therefore, the iwatch will not sell millions, will take a long time for consumer adoption and will not add to Apple's bottom line much at all. It seems like a waste of time.

Remember that the apple tv box, something with tremendous potential, has taken years to catch on.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
So, Apple is damned if they sit on their ass and just spend the rest of eternity perfecting the products they have while market share and stock value drop and they're damned if they try to expand on what they have and increase their market share and maintain profits.

Never saw so many people talking out of both sides of their mouths.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
None of what Ritchie writes reveals anything particularly new or astonishing, but given his extremely accurate track record over the past few years, it's an important look into what Apple could be planning for the rest of 2013.

Hmmm I don't know, this whole "it's all going to happen eventually" reminds me of that old adage about the broken clock

----------

I think Apple will leave it a good year or so before making the iPad mini Retina. It would have been a massive insult to early adopters if they'd have brought that out less than 6 months after the first was released.

Apple never promised anyone a minimum time before releasing something new so this notion of disappointing or insulting adopters is the last thing on their minds

----------

What would iOS 7 have to be able to do to "wow" you?

Be totally bug free, totally customizable (ya know like Android etc), cooking breakfast in bed, do his laundry and mine bitcoins

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
Yeah, because I was so looking for a watch to wear... did I wake up in the 90's?

Seriously, I'm starting to feel like is running out of ideas. Maybe this is the beginning of the end for apples.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
hhmmmmmm....... I have to say that mock up of the full size iPad does look rather sexy!! Be nice if Apple make it look like that.

Anyway, nothing new here really, you can guess the Apple TV TV is stuck with the content, iPads are predictable, we've talked about the iWatch and their is no point going crazy over a bigger iPhone or cheaper one if they have no timescales set yet, cause I would think that means they can be scrapped at any time too?

But.... the most exciting part of this is iOS. As this has had little to no mention anywhere at all! So it's great to hear someone being very excited about it and gives me hope Apple and Ive's will give it the refresh we all are hoping for.

Last edited:

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
imagine if Apple evolved the tech eco system once again like they did with the iPod. Everyone wearing a smart watch instead of whipping out their phones every 2 seconds. If anyone can do it, it will be Apple. Then of course in years to come when you get all the iWatch clones people will forget that Apple pushed it and start mocking Apple saying that their watch is not as good as the iWatch S3

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Maybe Apple has given up on "new" stuff to *WOW* people with computers and instead now focussing on other smaller things they can push the same technology into we have today.

Isn't that already done ? i thought i saw this feature in another product.

I'll just keep my Time Co.... :) It looks better actually too.

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Here is what iOS needs!

1.) Widgets (or something similar).
2.) Auxo (just copy it, no one will be mad)
3.) Finder (Siri needs a man#).

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
Yes, but unlike most companies, Apple used to be extremely well run and a force to be reckoned with. I am not sure that will continue to be the case. Unless, of course, you desire Apple to become the equivalent of LG or the like. Sony went down the same path and look at them today.

Its the ebb and flow which attaches to all of life. Sometimes you are up, sometimes you are down. Nobody stays at the top forever. Even Kings die. Zoom out and look at companies, kingdoms, countries or entire regions. Sometimes they are at the top, sometimes they are not.

Apple has had 2 very high highs in fairly short time. It will trough out and hopefully peak again.

Think of them as your favourite sports team. Sometimes you are at the top of the A class league, sometimes previous champions drop in to the B class.

It is... inevitable.

SpectatorHere

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
This iWatch nonsense has to be all code. No one needs or wants an watch these days, so what is it?

You can figure out that with Google coming out with augmented reality Google Glass, Apple is busy working on its own implementation. And, given a big R & D project, they'd want cover for it...wouldn't an iWatch provide such cover?

One of the very difficult issues we have to figure out with AR is how to control things. We need a UI to control how you interact with your HUD. An iWatch wouldn't really be a watch but a way to speak input, swipe, touch, etc....a sort of mouse pad for your augmented world. Heck, it might even have something to do with 3D hand-gesture recognition using gyros.

Anyway, this is what makes sense. If this were really just a watch it could have come out last year, so it isn't that.

Giddy2730

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2013
Alent1234 I think your right about the I watch. The health aspects alone will create enough of a market. A quick search on eBay shows good heart rate monitor watches up to $900, with only pretty basic features. An Iwatch is sure to have all the features plus more, for a lot cheaper price.

If it is to run on the iOS platform the app developers will release 1000s of health related apps ranging from exercise to monitoring the sick and elderly. I can already imagine a much better sleep cycle alarm clock running of your pulse rate.

People are saying that they think this will be a pointless device, but I personally think this may be a huge market. I am no fanboy by any means, but I do remember when the ipad came out. People were saying "why do I need a big iphone when I already have an iPhone and a laptop". I'm sure there will be some features on an Iwatch that we can't even imagine yet, though will some day not be able to live without.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Too many versions of the same product to choose from will drive people crazy. A lot of people had trouble deciding between black or white, now add 16, 32 or 64GB. Imagine if on top of the previous, they have to decide between two sizes!

Also, too many products makes it more difficult to control stock. Apple may end up with too many of one product, and not enough of another.

Plus, it creates more R&D costs, and more products to do quality control on.

If this rumor is true, then Apple may be taking the wrong turn.
SJ was smart in this sense: Don't give people too many choices!

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
if apple is going to come up with a bigger screen, I wished they would have kept the 3.5 size and then brought the >= 4.5" size mobile.. the iPhone 5 4" size just feels wrong to me..

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Too many versions of the same product to choose from will drive people crazy. A lot of people had trouble deciding between black or white, now add 16, 32 or 64GB. Imagine if on top of the previous, they have to decide between two sizes!

Also, too many products makes it more difficult to control stock. Apple may end up with too many of one product, and not enough of another.

Plus, it creates more R&D costs, and more products to do quality control on.

If this rumor is true, then Apple may be taking the wrong turn.
SJ was smart in this sense: Don't give people too many choices!

Choice isn't bad when it's something like storage.

The only choice is storage which should be offered because that is RELATIVE to the user and their storage needs.

It's not like they have for sale iPads with faster processors and slow processors, iPads with different GPUs, different cameras, different screens, etc (other then the previous gen).

In the CURRENT gen you have 1 choice. That is the current iPad.

As for iPad vs Mini...that's acceptable. Again relative to user needs.

To compare the current Apple to the 90s would require Apple of today to put out 6-10 different iPads, 6-10 different iPhones, etc. That is what Samsung and Android currently have going.

----------

This iWatch nonsense has to be all code. No one needs or wants an watch these days, so what is it?

You aren't supposed to know what it is or that you need it. That's the genius of Apple. They know what it is and what its going to be and how it's going to change everything...again.

As for a watch, you really can't just view it as that..just like you can't view the iPhone as just a phone. The iWatch is obviously going to be the next big thing in communication devices that most likely synch with the rest of your devices while interacting with NFC and other communication/interaction.

----------

Its the ebb and flow which attaches to all of life. Sometimes you are up, sometimes you are down. Nobody stays at the top forever. Even Kings die. Zoom out and look at companies, kingdoms, countries or entire regions. Sometimes they are at the top, sometimes they are not.

Apple has had 2 very high highs in fairly short time. It will trough out and hopefully peak again.

Think of them as your favourite sports team. Sometimes you are at the top of the A class league, sometimes previous champions drop in to the B class.

It is... inevitable.

I didn't know Apple dropped into B class...seems to be a misconception considering the data nor $$$ supports this claim.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.