Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Dear Tim,
Regression testing. Spend the money on it.

At the company I work at, we do tests on edge to LTE data on AT&T and Verizon (Sprint is also coming soon). The programmers work hand in hand with the testers to create as many scenarios as possible. We even go to client sites and test new releases. The end client has to be 100% happy.

This is not the only repeat major security bug in iOS 6.1! I found one last night. You can use universal search to find iMessages that have been deleted!

I was shocked when I found it. I have reported the issue to all the tech sites. I hope one of them will publish it so Apple fixes the issue!!!

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
And the faithful still insists "it just works." This is how you know when you're a fanboy. When you have patience/understanding and put up with issues after issue (Battery Drain, Exchange Sync, Bypass Security Code, etc...) all the while bad mouthing another OS if it had the same issues. And running back to iOS claiming it just works, and never has issues.
Face it, iOS is just like any other OS. It's not perfect.

It just works =/= it is perfect. :D

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Eh, there will always be bugs in any software release. As far as this one, I don't think it's a "big deal" since it takes several steps to make it work. The regular person won't figure this out. Of course, an informed person is a completely different story.

brunerd

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2009
Chicago
The real security problem

The real security problem is:
Who leaves their phone laying around in a strange place with the idea that since it has a passcodelock it's 'secure'?! If you don't trust the people around you with your phone and think they'd be waiting for any chance they could get to see your contacts and make calls then you've got bigger problems! And who just leaves their phone laying around in public, people take it to the john to check emails and play Angry Birds, it's not something you leave laying around, except at home and those should be people you trust?! And no passcode lock is gonna keep someone from stealing the damn thing anyway if you just leave it laying around!
Dur.

OMG - what if they called Fiji?!:p

CShort

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Any theories as to why Apple is having such Exchange problems? They should be onto this since
1) Apples are widely used in business for business email
2) Apple aren't pushing their own servers to businesses for email

So I'd assume that bad exchange would be bad for Apple but they don't seem too interested in fixing it? Exchange is a simpler standard than other emailing solutions since there is only one standard, it's not like IMAP which has a huge range of different implementations to support.

iSunrise

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012
This is not the only repeat major security bug in iOS 6.1! I found one last night. You can use universal search to find iMessages that have been deleted!

I was shocked when I found it. I have reported the issue to all the tech sites. I hope one of them will publish it so Apple fixes the issue!!!
Wow, you can see deleted messages with the search function? That is actually quite disturbing to hear. Apple get your act together!

Are these the first signs of the changes in the iOS lead? Apple better do something big for iOS 7, like actually providing some useful new stuff and improvements for future multi-core architectures.

If Apple doesn´t have enough people for QA, they need to hire ASAP.

tmoerel

Suspended
Jan 24, 2008
Heard about Google search engine ?

----------

Heard about Google search engine ?

Imagine this: Your iphone has no problems. You are happy.....and now tell me to go google for bugs? Why? I am happy......get a life!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

It's not really a bug per se, and has been working like that for a long time. The spotlight functionality indexes data on the phone for searching, and keeps that index separate, so when you delete something the update to the search index doesn't happen instantly and takes a little time to go through when the next reindexing happens. You can turn off messages (and then turn them back on) in spotlight settings to reset that, or I believe restarting the phone will cause that to happen as well.

----------

Dear Tim,
Regression testing. Spend the money on it.

At the company I work at, we do tests on edge to LTE data on AT&T and Verizon (Sprint is also coming soon). The programmers work hand in hand with the testers to create as many scenarios as possible. We even go to client sites and test new releases. The end client has to be 100% happy.
And you still probably end up with some weird bug or issue here and there even after all that testing.

That's not to say that more testing wouldn't be good--it would be--but it would still never identify all the possible issues no matter what.

That's real world software for you, especially when it's as complex as an operating system and as widespread as something like iOS is.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
It's not really a bug per se, and has been working like that for a long time. The spotlight functionality indexes data on the phone for searching, and keeps that index separate, so when you delete something the update to the search index doesn't happen instantly and takes a little time to go through when the next reindexing happens. You can turn off messages (and then turn them back on) in spotlight settings to reset that, or I believe restarting the phone will cause that to happen as well.

This exact thing happened before and was widely reported and acknowledged by Apple as a bug and later fixed! It is not meant to maintain that history once you delete the messages!

----------

Wow, you can see deleted messages with the search function? That is actually quite disturbing to hear. Apple get your act together!

Are these the first signs of the changes in the iOS lead? Apple better do something big for iOS 7, like actually providing some useful new stuff and improvements for future multi-core architectures.

Yes it is true. And this exact bug happened before and was widely reported and acknowledged by Apple as a mistake. Universal search is not meant to maintain that message history once you delete messages. They fixed it in a subsequent update, and yet here it is AGAIN! THREE BIG bugs in iOS 6.1 TWO of which are happening for the SECOND TIME now!!!

Why won't anyone report this? I have sent it to everyone multiple times including MacRumors. You'd think they would want all the media attention it would for sure generate given the current situation!

HELLO MacRumors... You awake??? Mod?

Smearbrick

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Central PA
I'll be sure to stop including the social security numbers, birthdates, and other vital statistics of all my contacts. God forbid someone hack my phone and find my mother's phone number. One call to her would be punishment enough.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
And the faithful still insists "it just works." This is how you know when you're a fanboy. When you have patience/understanding and put up with issues after issue (Battery Drain, Exchange Sync, Bypass Security Code, etc...) all the while bad mouthing another OS if it had the same issues. And running back to iOS claiming it just works, and never has issues.
Face it, iOS is just like any other OS. It's not perfect.

and there are tons of bugs on Android's latest software, Android 4.2

They just found how to get into a rooted phone even if it has a lock screen, and the malware/virus problem on Android is slowly starting to get out of control, id say iOS's problems are much less problematic then Android's problems.

at least when Apple identifies a issue, they release a fix in less then one week, unlike waiting on Android for months

4nz33

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2013
Make calls without lock password!

You don't have to do all those key combos just to make a call! Just hold the home button and wait for voice control and say "call mobile number" and it will ring whatever number you tell it to :)

;)

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013

This sounds almost like the issue some were having where imessages were still showing up on phones after they had been deactivated.

Am3r1ca16

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
New York City
I'll be sure to stop including the social security numbers, birthdates, and other vital statistics of all my contacts. God forbid someone hack my phone and find my mother's phone number. One call to her would be punishment enough.

Really who puts that much sensitive info in their phones to start with?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well, it looks like it'll be another future update as 6.1.2 doesn't seem to address it.

Fishticks

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Imagine this: Your iphone has no problems. You are happy.....and now tell me to go google for bugs? Why? I am happy......get a life!

Don't post on an article about bugs you dont have on your iPhone or you can't help cope with.
Let people who unfortunately have do the talking.
And get a life !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.