Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
really odd how the new cables are the same price... Possibly an error?

No error. If you go onto the Apple store you will notice that the 10w/12w chargers and 5w mini chargers cost the same price as well. I both cases the theory is that some people prefer smaller accessories.

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
Has anybody owned both the EarPods and In-Ear Headphones? Just curious.
Yes. I've got both and I like the new EarPods better. Not by much, but I like them better. It's mostly preference, that's why I would say the InEars are absolutely not worth the money. There are SO much better InEars for the price.

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts
Yes. I've got both and I like the new EarPods better. Not by much, but I like them better. It's mostly preference, that's why I would say the InEars are absolutely not worth the money. There are SO much better InEars for the price.

Same hear. They fit my ears just fine and actually stay there during my exercises. I don't think you can find better stock earbuds.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
An even shorter cable? UGH... Why not a longer cable? I needed to buy a USB extension cable just so the end of my charging cable can reach my nightstand. Come on Apple.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Then you'd just complain that they cost $50 for a cable.

No, I wouldn't.

You know they make USB hubs for just a couple bucks.

Yes, they do, and they make an ugly tangled mess of cables on the desktop and require yet another power adapter.

You'd need a cable that contained a controller so you'd be looking at a cable with a big box on it. Who'd want that.

I would. Especially if the controller were built into a dock.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
It would create unnecessary confusion about the purpose of such a cable.

Yea, without any speed advantage, that's true.

...Though, eventually, as Apple becomes more competitive & begins exhausting every hardware boost possible, it's inevitable. You don't really think decades from now we'll still be syncing our iPads at USB2.0 speeds, do you? So with that speed advantage, iPhones & iPads syncing over high speed TB (& freeing up a USB port) is a nice bonus Apple can offer to its Mac customers to further improve the Mac & iDevice users experience.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
0.5 ? uh... ok

Why even release a cabe then?

1 metre is short enough...

Maybe its a cost factor... Hopefully the price will be small too.

Yes. The new Pods are better sonically.
The in-ear are a waste of money.

I still hav my earpods... sill in packaging from 5 months ago

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
really odd how the new cables are the same price... Possibly an error?

According to the Apple Store, the 1m long cable DOES NOT support audio and video. The 0.5 m cable DOES support audio and video.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-14 at 10.51.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-14 at 10.51.30 PM.png
    60.8 KB · Views: 109
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-14 at 10.51.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-14 at 10.51.40 PM.png
    52.8 KB · Views: 89

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
"Apple Releases Shorter 0.5-Meter Lightning to USB Cable"

This is exciting stuff.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
According to the Apple Store, the 1m long cable DOES NOT support audio and video. The 0.5 m cable DOES support audio and video.

ya... what a coincidence....

Apple deliberately putting something that we all use in the shorter cable, so more of them sell instead......

Apple could have put support in the 1m.... Its just "clever marketing"

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
ya... what a coincidence....

Apple deliberately putting something that we all use in the shorter cable, so more of them sell instead......

Apple could have put support in the 1m.... Its just "clever marketing"

Apple could have put it in the longer cable, but then they would have to increase the price. That is why they are both the same price.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Apple could have put it in the longer cable, but then they would have to increase the price. That is why they are both the same price.

True, but wouldn't you be better off paying that bit extra for a 1M cable "knowing" it'll the excess will be there when its needed, rather than buying a shorter cable than be crippled with "if only i had spend..." type questions.

We're only talking about a few extra dollars... not gonna break the bank by any means.

I guess Apple needs a valid reason to do this.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia

Agreed, Apple's are terrible for the price. The EarPods are the better option if you want Apple headphones.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
They're definitely different factories. 1/2 of the Lightning cables are junk. The connector is different than the Apple original too. I even had one that fell apart when I first took it from the package. There is a difference in quality but not one that paying $20 more is worth generally. Having said that, my Belkin car charger with an Apple licensed Lightning connector is much better quality than any of the cheap cables on the market and well worth the $20 I paid for it.
It's the same factory. It's just Apple's cables passed most of the quality inspections and my Monoprice cables come from the defective bin at the end of the assembly line. :D

mrr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Sad to see Apple changing the recent earbud design.

It has been the only in ear buds by ANY manufacturers that actually fit me.

The new Apple buds look pretty conventional.

I will have to find some old ones before they are gone.

edit: Whoops it looks like these are two different products. I like the EarPods. Inexpensive and fit well.

Last edited:

Rygaard

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Denmark
So smaller TV's should be the same price as larger ones? They do the same job, right..?

No but a tv with a shorter powercable should cost the same....

the expensive part is not the wire in the cable, its the chip and electronics in the plugs, could they cut 1$ off the price yes... should they ... who care.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
I believe that is an oversight. The Lightning connector doesn't support analog audio/video, no matter what cable you buy.

The connectors are totally different between the Apple and the Monoprice ones. The IC setup is different also. Logo printing is different. They are not the exact same connectors.

whyamihere

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
'nati
Shady

This is one of the shadiest moves in a while. I went up to the Apple store earlier today to get this very cable. I hadn't seen this story yet and thought nothing of it, just grabbed the first cable from the shelf.

Get home and read this story on MacRumors, look at the box and sure enough it is 0.5m. Luckily I hadn't opened it yet.

So, drive back up to the Apple store. I talked to 2 employees, neither had any idea this change had been made. Luckily there was a single regular cable still left on the shelf. If it had been sold, I'm sure they would've probably thought I was making it up. So I was able to switch it out. Given that they didn't have any more of the previous cables, I'm guessing once Apple clears out the stock of 1m cables they won't be making more. I doubt they would continue making both and charge $19 for both sizes and confuse customers (if they had been a different price I would've realized instantly I had the wrong cable).

No, it appears they will be charging the same already high $19 price for HALF the cable length going forward. Shame on you Apple for this one. :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.