Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigcat

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008
I'd try DVD Decrypter first, then using handbrake to rip the Video_TS file.

That works about 99% of the time for me. I have a couple of DVDs at home I can't rip.

I am new to doing this on the Mac, can you post a link the "DVD decrypter" program you mention. Google reports a ton of these and I am not sure which one it is.

Handbrake/MakeMKV are failing for me in a number of DVDs.

In the Windows world I never had a problem with AnyDVD. Wondering if someone can recommend and alternative, even if it's not free.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I am sorry, DVD Decrypter is only for Windows as far as I know. You'd have to have a virtual machine or bootcamp.

I thought it was for other platforms, but I guess not.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVD-Decrypter

I am new to doing this on the Mac, can you post a link the "DVD decrypter" program you mention. Google reports a ton of these and I am not sure which one it is.

Handbrake/MakeMKV are failing for me in a number of DVDs.

In the Windows world I never had a problem with AnyDVD. Wondering if someone can recommend and alternative, even if it's not free.

dixter1975

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2012
When I go "File>Open Source(Title Specific)..." I get a list of files in the video_ts folder, but they only go up to VTS_21_1. Broadbent said it wasn't just the 35th file in order, so if the numbers only go up to 21, how do I find Title 35...?

I feel like the answer is obvious and I'm just missing it... :/

EDIT: Aha! Figured it out, it isn't the file name that is Title 35, you just pick the file VIDEO_TS.BUP and then choose Title 35 in the next window that pops up. Nevermind!

great advice thanks, for the record my file was 24 not 35 but it worked like a charm, so i'm guessing they could all be different.

mystrk77

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2012
Just for those of you who don't know, an easy way to get to the title is to hold down the alt/option key when you select the dvd source in handbrake. A small box then appears and asks for a specific title number. This solution worked perfectly for me.

SpikeDDS

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012
When I go "File>Open Source(Title Specific)..." I get a list of files in the video_ts folder, but they only go up to VTS_21_1. Broadbent said it wasn't just the 35th file in order, so if the numbers only go up to 21, how do I find Title 35...?

I feel like the answer is obvious and I'm just missing it... :/

EDIT: Aha! Figured it out, it isn't the file name that is Title 35, you just pick the file VIDEO_TS.BUP and then choose Title 35 in the next window that pops up. Nevermind!

OK, after reading how well this is working for everyone else, I am trying it, and EVERY time--despite me doing everything to the letter as spelled out above--my iMac still takes FOREVER trying to scan THE ENTIRE DVD. I am putting 35 in the specific title box when prompted, but it doesn't make any difference. And yes, I get title 35 when I play the movie in DVD Player app.

Help?

Addendum: And after 15 minutes of scanning, it crashed!

Further Addendum: Figured out the problem. The solution is to NOT select the .bup file, but rather just the VIDEO_TS folder and then enter in the title number when prompted.

Last edited:

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2012
UK
I haven't read all the posts here but I've read previous threads explaining just to look for a particular title to rip, and not the entire DVD.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
I have been using handbrake for a while, and it has worked fine for most DVD's I have ripped...

How do you get Handbrake to keep DVD quality? When I rip a DVD, the end file has lost quality and doesn't look as good quality as the original DVD. Can you please tell me how you do it properly?

ufindharry

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2013
title specific

file->title specific is grayed out on my macbook pro. i'm using handbrake and vlc. anyone know what i am doing wrong?

cusefan

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2013
It Works!

All the advice on this thread is accurate and I was able to copy the Avengers DVD finally! Thank you Mac Rumors. Read posts from Mark Wagner, Nerrollken and Broadbent. It works if you follow Mark Wagner's easy 3 step process to the T. Make sure your VLC software is open and updated. It really should work. Don't forget to hit the play button on Handbrake! Don't know how else to explain this process for those that can't get it to work. Good luck!

aldubon

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2013
Handbrake quitting on "Avenger's" and "Brave" in Layman's Terms

Put movie in, once the actual movie starts to play,
go to top DVD Player Menu, select "Go", then "Title", Look at the title that has the check mark, i.e. 14 (I will use title 14 as an example). Stop DVD player.

Now start Handbrake, at the top menu, select "Handbrake", then "Preferences", then "General", "At Launch", make sure "Show preset Drawer" is checked. In "Source Selection", select "Open Source (Title Specific)".

Now go to "Source", Select the "Movie..i.e. Brave", then "Video_TS", then "Video_TS.BUP", then "Open", now you will get a pop-up that asks to "Scan title Number (i.e 14) for Video_TS.BUP", then "Open Title".....scanning will begin, then you can select "Start" like usual. :)

Last edited:

aldubon

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2013
Try this....

Put movie in, once the actual movie starts to play,
go to top DVD Player Menu, select "Go", then "Title", Look at the title that has the check mark, i.e. 14 (I will use title 14 as an example). Stop DVD player.

Now start Handbrake, at the top menu, select "Handbrake", then "Preferences", then "General", "At Launch", make sure "Show preset Drawer" is checked. In "Source Selection", select "Open Source (Title Specific)".

Now go to "Source", Select the "Movie..i.e. Brave", then "Video_TS", then "Video_TS.BUP", then "Open", now you will get a pop-up that asks to "Scan title Number (i.e 14) for Video_TS.BUP", then "Open Title".....scanning will begin, then you can select "Start" like usual. :)

ErasmoC

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2013
Are you Handbraking the actual DVD, or have you ripped the DVD to a VIDEO_TS first?

Either way, I'd suggest finding the actual title that the movie is on and just scanning that title. To find the title, play the DVD using the DVD Player app. Get the movie started and then go up the the menu. One of the selections will show you the Title number ... I can't remember the exact menu selection, but it's not hidden.

Then in Handbrake, choose to scan that specfic title, not the whole DVD.

Brilliant. Thanks! and thanks to Broadbent too for making it clearer!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.