Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It is safe to say that the second I can pre order a PS4 with guarenteed launch day deliver, I will.

Whilst I usually buy all launch consoles..

I'll probably opt for PS4 rather than buy both at launch this time round, especially if there is only a few months between them.

My favourite games on Xbox have all long since been abandoned (Kameo / Viva Piñata and Banjo Kazzoie : Nuts & Bolts) and there hasn't been any Xbox exclusives in the last 24 months that have even peaked my interest.

So yeah I'll be only pre-ordering a PS4 this time round. Unless MS reveal those three franchise at E3 in Durango glory.

bunny.png

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Growing up, I had a Sega Genesis, Sega Dreamcast, PSone, xbox, xbox 360. I was never fond of PS, due to the games I enjoyed. I'd most likely upgrade to xbox 720.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
Decided to limit myself to just one console this time, and that console will be the Playstation 4.

Graveyard

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2009
Romania
First of all, regarding the ps4. If they have a crappy optical drive like the ps2 and ps3, it will be a no go for me. I'm sick and tired of repairing them for my clients.
As for the next gen xbox... If i get the same amount of bloatware that they deliver now on the 360, most of which i can't even use in my country... Screw them!
I'm considering a wii u right now for the games that are exclusively released on nintendo consoles. But if i can't get a reliable way to mod it soon, i'll just have to delay the purchase.
I've had quite a few game consoles over the years, some of them are still in my collection. The only one i have that i haven't modded so far, is the n64 which i still hold close to my heart. I still buy games for it now and then.

So, in conclusion: give the ps4 a better optical drive sony! Learn from your mistakes!
Get rid of the ton of bloatware on the new xbox or give free access to internet exploder and skrype! Why the hell would i want to pay to be able to use them???

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
Whilst I usually buy all launch consoles..

I'll probably opt for PS4 rather than buy both at launch this time round, especially if there is only a few months between them.

My favourite games on Xbox have all long since been abandoned (Kameo / Viva Piñata and Banjo Kazzoie : Nuts & Bolts) and there hasn't been any Xbox exclusives in the last 24 months that have even peaked my interest.

So yeah I'll be only pre-ordering a PS4 this time round. Unless MS reveal those three franchise at E3 in Durango glory.

Yeah, Xbox exclusives just don't do anything for me. The only way I would buy an xbox at launch is if the PS4 still hasn't been announced. Then I would still buy the PS4 at launch and get shot of the Xbox.

Mega excited for E3 though, Sony and MS simply have to knock our socks off if they are serious about launching this year.

My prediction however, is that USA and Japan will see the PS4 between Nov-Dec, and Europe will have to wait until March time, just like with the PS3. I hope they don't because it is the most annoying thing ever. If only everyone in Europe decided to speak English I am sure it would speed everything up for PAL territories! :p:p

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
My prediction however, is that USA and Japan will see the PS4 between Nov-Dec, and Europe will have to wait until March time, just like with the PS3. I hope they don't because it is the most annoying thing ever. If only everyone in Europe decided to speak English I am sure it would speed everything up for PAL territories! :p:p

That's not the done thing any more. The Wii U shipped 2 weeks later, the Vita was the same day, 3DS was 2 days later in the UK.
I reckon Japan gets the PS4 a month before everyone else (NA and EU at the same time), and the Xbox will be a simultaneous worldwide launch.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
That's not the done thing any more. The Wii U shipped 2 weeks later, the Vita was the same day, 3DS was 2 days later in the UK.
I reckon Japan gets the PS4 a month before everyone else (NA and EU at the same time), and the Xbox will be a simultaneous worldwide launch.

True, but I will never get over the PSP fiasco.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Aye, I think the Vita is the first Sony console to launch problem-free in the UK. No dead pixel epidemic, lots of titles, not far from other regions in terms of release date.

Yeah launch was great... it's been the 'after launch' software lineup that's been most disappointing problem with the vita...

That being said Persona 4 golden is seeing my vita get some proper use finally.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
Agree with you two. Vita launch was smooth as butter. But these days I am only playing PS1 classics on it. I hope we get an EU date for PS4 at the PS meeting.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
FFS, another spec worshipper.

Lack of ram means sod all. I've not noticed a lack of ram at all.

RAM means a lot when it is incredibly constrained, as it is in the current consoles. One of the reasons all the Skyrim DLC has been massively delayed on the PS3 is due to memory constraints.

Sure, RAM means nothing when you have a surfeit of it, but when you're short you start to notice.

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
RAM means a lot when it is incredibly constrained, as it is in the current consoles. One of the reasons all the Skyrim DLC has been massively delayed on the PS3 is due to memory constraints.

Sure, RAM means nothing when you have a surfeit of it, but when you're short you start to notice.

Then the Skyrim devs should be taking the memory constraints into account.

It's not a 'surprise' that a machine released in 2006 has a low amount of memory, the devs should have known this and modified the game code accordingly. It's hardly the PS3's fault that Skyrim DLC isn't available yet.

oaba09

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
Im currently a ps3 owner but if the ps4 ends up like the vita, i'll probably go to the other side....i had a vita before and the lack of games that I like forced me to sell it....

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Then the Skyrim devs should be taking the memory constraints into account.

It's not a 'surprise' that a machine released in 2006 has a low amount of memory, the devs should have known this and modified the game code accordingly. It's hardly the PS3's fault that Skyrim DLC isn't available yet.

If they were targeting the PS3 only, then yes, the code should be written with the PS3's memory limits in mind. However, as a multi-platform title, the PS3 version suffered due the PS3 only having 256MB of memory available, whereas the PC and 360 had more. They did eventually fix the problem, but it took a good six+ months to come up with a solution.

The PS3's RAM situation also comes in to play when multitasking (something the PS3 wasn't originally designed to do, and was only added with post-launch firmware patches) and can be seen in the XMB slow-downs that occur and the pauses when commands are input.

Simply put, RAM is an issue on the PS3, if only because it was made in 2006/7. Doesn't change the fact that an extra 256-512MB would have worked wonders in some areas.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Im currently a ps3 owner but if the ps4 ends up like the vita, i'll probably go to the other side....i had a vita before and the lack of games that I like forced me to sell it....

It's funny that. I buy all my machines on day 1 and in 1 year I only amassed 6 3DS games. In the first year of my Vita's life I have 36 games (admittedly half of those I think are good but it's still a big number). And I much prefer Nintendo's first party titles to anyone elses.

Rayman, Ultimate Marvel v Capcom, SFxTekken, Uncharted, Wipeout, Disgaea 3, Persona 4, Stardust, Zen Pinball, Sound Shapes, Motorstorm, Vikings, Gravity Rush, LBP, Mutant Blobs, MG collection, Katamari, Everybody's Golf, Escape Plan, Knytt, Retro City, PS All-Stars, Jet Set Radio. And about 13 PS mobile games. They're my faves.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
If they were targeting the PS3 only, then yes, the code should be written with the PS3's memory limits in mind. However, as a multi-platform title, the PS3 version suffered due the PS3 only having 256MB of memory available, whereas the PC and 360 had more. They did eventually fix the problem, but it took a good six+ months to come up with a solution.

The PS3's RAM situation also comes in to play when multitasking (something the PS3 wasn't originally designed to do, and was only added with post-launch firmware patches) and can be seen in the XMB slow-downs that occur and the pauses when commands are input.

Simply put, RAM is an issue on the PS3, if only because it was made in 2006/7. Doesn't change the fact that an extra 256-512MB would have worked wonders in some areas.

I'm actually a little shocked that the PS3 only has 256MB of RAM in it, given it is a 2006 machine. I had a PC in 2001 that had that much RAM in it. Is it normal for a console to be that gimped? To be honest, I don't really know (or really care about) the specs in my 360, but it definitely gets the job done. My main gripe is the OS, not the hardware . . .

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
I'm actually a little shocked that the PS3 only has 256MB of RAM in it, given it is a 2006 machine. I had a PC in 2001 that had that much RAM in it. Is it normal for a console to be that gimped? To be honest, I don't really know (or really care about) the specs in my 360, but it definitely gets the job done. My main gripe is the OS, not the hardware . . .

PS3 has 512MB in total, but it is split in to 256MB for the CPU and 256MB for the GPU. I'm guessing the logic behind this was to try and shave corners wherever possible in terms of cost, as it was rather expensive on launch.The 360 has a unified 512MB pool, which gives some flexibility on where it is allocated.

The new consoles are looking to have 4-8GB, and the WiiU has 2GB (with 1GB of that reserved for the OS). I don't think memory will be a problem with the PS4/Xbox, as they're now at the numbers where it means little.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Neither.

My PS3 is only 3 years old and there are still games coming out next year for the system that I want, not to mention the games already out I want for it.

As for the xbox, my Xbox isn't even a month old.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
for one like me, where i play a game every now and then it sucks to have to get OS updates and then game updates that take forever....to the point I say screw it and go do something else

I have to agree. I don't turn on my 360, Wii, or PS3 that often. Maybe once per week. But the PS3 got to the point that every time I turned it on I had to do updates to the system and updates to games that took forever (and my internet is fast...never takes long for xbox, :apple:TV, Mac updates). So it discouraged me and I haven't turned my PS3 on in months now.

With that being said; I have yet to pick up a WiiU but I probably will this summer at some point. Nintendo is still my favorite since I grew up on the original NES and Super NES (plus lots of N64/Cube in my college age days).

I really enjoy the 360 online experience and generally like that system (though I preferred the blade menus over the current ones). I'll probably stick with Xbox the next go round too. What I mentioned above and the nearly 2 decade old shaped/styled controllers for PS will probably keep me away from it. At least until it's been out for years and comes down quite a bit in cost. I don't care about blu-ray. I buy everything online now and stream it to my :apple:TV's across the house.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
I'll get the PS4 at some point, maybe not straight away. I really hope they don't base the OS on Android though. I also know I'll end up getting a Wii U, I just can't say no to Wind Waker HD.

I more than likely won't ever get an Xbox, the exclusives don't appeal to me at all. I don't like FPS and Rare hasn't made anything like their N64 classics in a long, long time.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Probably none, unless Microsoft drops the ridiculous requirement for Gold to watch Netflix. Otherwise I'm probably just going to keep playing my 360, I have so many games I still have yet to play.

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha
If the next version of the Xbox requires their new version of the Kinect as I read yesterday, that might be a deal breaker for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.