Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

staples.jpg
Last month, MacRumors had heard reports that office supply retailer Staples would begin offering Apple products for sale in the United States. Staples already sells Apple products internationally but had been unsuccessful in completing a deal with Apple for the U.S. market.

Tonight, we'd received word that Staples had a meeting today with corporate employees announcing that Apple products were coming to their stores. 9to5Mac has since spotted that Staples executives have taken to Twitter to confirm that a deal with Apple has been finalized and that their stores will begin selling Apple products. Staples Senior Vice President of Global Human Resources confirmed the deal on Twitter (Tweet now deleted).
After Canada, #Apple products are coming to #Staples in US. Great news!
Other Staples employees also took to Twitter to confirm the news, including Strategic Accounts coordinator Erin LaFlamme and Field Services Manager Mike Goggin.

While there's no mention of what Apple products Staples would carry, MacRumors previously heard in mid-January that Staples would carry Apple's full lineup of Macs, iPads as well as the iPhone 5 in their stores.

Article Link: Staples Executives Confirm Stores Will Begin Selling Apple Products in U.S.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Uh, why would anyone buy  products from Staples unless there's just no other store that sells Apple products nearby? It's not like their customer support is any better than that of Apple's retail stores or Best Buy. It's probably even worse than Walmart's.

Good news anyway.

Last edited:

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Lol. Stapes executives.
Gets news of Apple products into stores. Posts to Twitter.

Would be a good meme.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Lol. Stapes executives.
Gets news of Apple products into stores. Posts to Twitter.

Would be a good meme.

Would be a great meme to get brand recognition. One day, Internet memes and pictures with text that utilize them will all die because corporations will use them as advertising... You'll buy a bottle of water with a picture of the @#$% Yeah Guy saying that you made a good choice or something stupid like that. People already misuse memes a lot; imagine what companies would do! :eek:

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
It's always base model stock with resellers. If you can't BTO then who the hell cares....

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Uh, why would anyone buy  products from Staples unless there's just no other store that sells Apple products nearby? It's not like their customer support is any better than that of Apple's retail stores or Best Buy. It's probably even worse than Walmart's.

Good news anyway.

My experience with Staples has been great so far, normally I never shop at the store. But I bought a iPod Touch 4G from them in 2011, then Diablo III and they priced matched it for me without any hassle or questions.

Generally the pricing at Best Buy & Futureshop is quite high in comparison to other computer stores (Memory Express or Ncix). They charge a premium for the exact same products. So I tend to avoid them unless they price match. My experience with price matching has been a mix bag, half the time they come up with excuses, other times they do it..

So far I'd rather shop at Staples, at least in the area I live. I understand that the experience is different based on the people working there.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Every time I've been to a Staples store in the States, it seems like they've had fewer than three people working in the entire place (although maybe there are some who only work in the storeroom).

The last time, I needed a USB cable. The ONE employee I could find in the place pointed to an aisle that looked like it hadn't been organized for a couple of weeks. There were even products on the floor itself. I did find the cable — priced at three times what I would pay for the same thing here in Japan.

I can't imagine having Apple products is going to make the experience of shopping there any less lonely and miserable.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
This is good for Apple and Staples, might not seem like it, but staples is one of the biggest office and electronic suppliers in the world, it will mean more sales.

Staples is very good at office supplies, they offer good prices on lots of decent PCs, laptops and desktops, and have far more digital cameras than most stores, and if you ever want to try 100 office chairs and pick the perfect one, well no one else can help you.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Y'all are spoiled children. I remember the days when a broken Powebook charger on a road trip might be a very bad thing if you didn't happen to be staying in the correct city with resellers close by.

I love that every WalMart can replace an iPad cord if I need it. I love that the one time I needed an Apple keyboard late at night the Best Buy was open an hour later than the Apple store at the mall.

I love that I don't have to depend on mail-order or Microcenter to get Apple crap, and I love that things are just getting better and better.

But sure, complain about convenience, I guess. What else is new around here?

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA

Good news anyway.

I would MUCH rather buy an Apple product from a Staples over the lack of service, long lines and general disgust that is your average Walmart and Best Buy...good luck finding ANYONE working the Apple counter at the one near me.

The Staples near me people or kind, the store is big, clean and well stocked and there are always several registers open with short lines...oh and the parking lot is bigger and easier to get in an out of.

Not everyone lives near an Apple store and not everyone wants to shop at Walmart, ESPECIALLY the electronics department, ugh.

----------

Ok... Just missing Toys R' Us and PetCo and we are set.

It wasn't that long ago that Toys R Us was the go to place for computers and computer related items, them and Sears...especially Sears if you wanted and Apple computer :cool: Yep you could get a Mac, new game for your Atari 2600, some Tuff Skin jeans, a set of screw drivers and a new washing machine all in one trip.

I do not get why people still have this elitist attitude about Apple products and where they are sold. Wake up, its the same iPhone regardless of where you bought it and oh, BTW, because you have an iPhone doesn't make you special anymore...my 12 year old son has one too and my 6 year daughter has an iPad....so all you who think you are something special because you use an Apple product, you are in a very BIG group of people.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Y'all are spoiled children. I remember the days when a broken Powebook charger on a road trip might be a very bad thing if you didn't happen to be staying in the correct city with resellers close by.

I love that every WalMart can replace an iPad cord if I need it. I love that the one time I needed an Apple keyboard late at night the Best Buy was open an hour later than the Apple store at the mall.

I love that I don't have to depend on mail-order or Microcenter to get Apple crap, and I love that things are just getting better and better.

But sure, complain about convenience, I guess. What else is new around here?

True, but the way all these companies make it sound as if Apple stuff is the "ultimate thing to sell".

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Doesn't seem like a huge deal. But I'm guessing there are some office types who live and die by Staples. I like the place, but it's not where I go for most stuff, especially computers.

However, where this does make a difference is getting more eyeballs to see your products. Amazon no longer puts Kindles in Target stores. They have been replaced by Nooks. I know Target/Amazon did this because of low profit margins. But it has to kill Amazon because that was a bazillion stores where people can actually see the product. I was wowed by the e-Ink screen by actually seeing it, just like I was with the Retina display and the speed of a MacBook Air.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Uh, why would anyone buy  products from Staples unless there's just no other store that sells Apple products nearby?
Uh... because there are not other stores that sell Apple products nearby? Ya think?

And who cares about the service? Staples is just an outlet. Support is provided by Apple.

paulsdenton

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2010
Barton, Vermont USA
Classic model of expansion well executed!

Someone at Apple has obviously taken the late professor Marty Marshall's marketing management course at the Harvard Business School and is executing it perfectly. Prof Marshall's model included 1. product line expansion 2. geographic expansion and 3. channel of distribution expansion. You can see all of these as Apple expertly introduces new products, expands country by country and expands its distribution network in its own stores, through telephone companies, retail chains and internet resellers. It's good managment of the basics.

It's seeing this that makes me think that AAPL is still undervalued despite the speculative fluctuations and unreasonable expectations that some may have for it. I think it is a great long term investment and I for one am hanging in there with the stock.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
In the small town where I am we only have a Staples. They do sell iPods and iPads but hopefully they expand to selling Macbooks. I do wish all Staples had Apple certified techs though so they could repair Mac computers on site.

getstuff4less

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2010
This is fantastic news! If you know how to get good deals, you can basically get drastically discounted products or for free using rewards.

Price

Good news anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.