Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
but once i got my hands on it, i became in love with it.

i debated furiously there is no point of an iPad mini on here, and got into it with couple of other posters.

but i have currently which is a customers that im testing and installing an app on.

it has its perks, like if im on the subway or the bus or jsut walking some where
i wouldnt pull out the iPad, because its heavy and its just a burden, but with the Mini id gladly pull it out like if it was my iphone.

i already have an iPhone 4/S, iPhone 5 (For Testing), and an iPad 3, and now i want a mini, i feel like im doing too much, lol.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I will be the biggest iPad mini lover when Apple gives it a retina display. Until then, I will be very happy with my iPad 4. ;)

Dominicanyor

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2012
Florida
I will be the biggest iPad mini lover when Apple gives it a retina display. Until then, I will be very happy with my iPad 4. ;)

Did you do the new update that came out a few months ago? If you did what differents did you see? Is it worth updating?

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
you can like pull out your ipad mini "like it was a phone" Thats the whole point there.

Ipad was suppose to be a tablet, 9.7 inch is a great size tablet. It differentiate from a big screen phone like galaxy note, htc butterfly, hence, Ipad mini is a tweener. A tweener that people prefered but if you really look at it, apple can make it a little smaller 5.6 inch maybe and give it a phone capability.

I saw my colleague ipad mini and i think its way too small to actually be a substitute for laptop when you are too lazy to grab the adaptor and charger and waiting for windows to boot up. Ipad is a great replacement because of the big screen but for Ipad mini, i dont really know whats the point of it.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
it has its perks, like if im on the subway or the bus or jsut walking some where
i wouldnt pull out the iPad, because its heavy and its just a burden, but with the Mini id gladly pull it out like if it was my iphone.

i already have an iPhone 4/S, iPhone 5 (For Testing), and an iPad 3, and now i want a mini, i feel like im doing too much, lol.

I was dubious about the mini also, currently have both an iPad 4 and a Mini, and spend more time using the mini due to the weight.

It is a LOT lighter. Sure the smaller screen makes the on-screen keyboard a little less convenient to use, but i don't use the tablet for bulk data entry anyway.

Whatever the on-paper spec suggests, in reality compared to the iPad 4 it "feels" like the equivalent difference between a Macbook Air and a 15" Macbook Pro...

The screen is good enough (sure, retina would be nice, as would more max brightness for outside - but it's by no means a deal breaker for me). I dunno if i'd want it to be any smaller though.

If/when the retina version comes out, it will be an awesome little device.

There's still stuff i prefer to do on the 4 (remote VDI sessions, etc) but it's very much a case of picking up the mini first, unless i'm doing one of those tasks.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Did you do the new update that came out a few months ago? If you did what differents did you see? Is it worth updating?

I'm from Hong Kong which doesn't support the LTE bands of the iPad 3. So getting the iPad 4 was an easier decision for me. ;)

Corax

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
Willemstad - Curaçao
I upgraded from an iPad 2 and I'm very happy I did. :)

What's better compared to the iPad 2:

- WiFi (better reception in my house, also in far corners)
- Camera's (sharp, really big difference)
- Speakers (stereo, and overall better sound)
- Screen (contrast and saturation are much better)
- Weight and size! (just what I needed, reason why I bought the iPad Mini)

I'm used to the retina screen of my rMBP 15", but the iPad mini "low res" really doesn't bother me at all!

Doc750

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
I just pull out my note 2 on the El. Much better size , especially when the train is packed.

Corax

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
Willemstad - Curaçao
Personally I dislike the size of the Note 2, I think it's not as beautiful and Android doesn't deliver my standards.
And don't forget all the Apps I downloaded in the past, all available through my account, free ones and paid ones, no costs.

By the way, I'm 2 meters tall :) so I have big hands, the iPad Mini fits perfectly in one hand, very easy to hold.

Last edited:

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California

That's a very appropriate position to take. My mini is ideal in all areas but one of the most important, the display.

When I first got it I knew it would be a compromise, thinking I could live with it I am. But instead of adjusting to it and mindfully overlooking its grainy fonts when smaller print appears on a web site, it's becoming increasingly annoying.

This is one time I'm wishing for a short product cycle so I can dump this and buy the higher resolution version.

You'll notice I didn't say retina. That's because my Nexus 7 proves it doesn't have to be as hi-res as retina to be outstanding.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
I'm the other way around... I had high hopes, till I bought one and used it...

The weight is right, the screens not. But it serves its purpose for those who like it.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
That's a very appropriate position to take. My mini is ideal in all areas but one of the most important, the display.

When I first got it I knew it would be a compromise, thinking I could live with it I am. But instead of adjusting to it and mindfully overlooking its grainy fonts when smaller print appears on a web site, it's becoming increasingly annoying.

This is one time I'm wishing for a short product cycle so I can dump this and buy the higher resolution version.

You'll notice I didn't say retina. That's because my Nexus 7 proves it doesn't have to be as hi-res as retina to be outstanding.

While the Nexus has a better display, the mini is what I use the most. Cannot beat its screen size and 4:3 aspect ratio for starters. And the Nexus isn't worlds better.

I use to let the display annoy me with web surfing trying different browsers for a week. I settled on Perfect Browser or use landscape mode with Safari.

I'm new to IOS, to let the display annoy me was rather ridiculous I felt considering the use and fun I'm having with the Mini coupled with its nice looks and form factor. I returned it once because of the display and bought it again so that speaks volumes considering I own the Nexus for lots less $$$.

Last edited:

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
That only speaks volumes about your standards.

I value crisp & clear displays like those of my Nexus 7, iPhone 5, iPad 4 & MBP retina.

The Nexus 7 is not in the same company as the others you listed, not even close.

Try nytimes and yahoo desktop sites in portrait on the Nexus. No better than the Mini.

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
I was never all obsessed with high resolutions. I felt that the resolution of the Mini was more than 'acceptable'. Do people hold these things up to their face or something? On my lap, about 1.5-2.5 feet away from me, I can't even tell. Sure, it has 'slightly squiggly' lines when you have it directly next to the Retina but otherwise, I can't tell that it's 'low resolution'.

People sure are spoiled. MOAR PIXLZ MOAR MOAR PIXLS. 1080p on a tablet that's 10" is good enough. On an 8"? I'd gladly take 1024x768 as long as the experience is smooth.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I have one sitting right here unopened but I'm concerned I won't like the display. I'm used to the 720p Nexus 4, 5th gen touch and other higher res displays and am afraid I'll be disappointed. I'm also wishing it had 1gb of RAM.

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
I have one sitting right here unopened but I'm concerned I won't like the display. I'm used to the 720p Nexus 4, 5th gen touch and other higher res displays and am afraid I'll be disappointed. I'm also wishing it had 1gb of RAM.

You won't notice the ram to be honest. Display depends on how close you hold it to your face. I thought it looked better than the Nexus 4. I'm an Android phone user but I think Jelly Bean looks too dark and blue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.